Up at t farm

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes it’s just nice to get out and watch the world go by, I’m just sat on the bails now watching the sun set, I’ll give it another half hour, if I see a fox I’ll have a go but it’s just nice to b

I decided while the weather was good I’d have a walk around the sheep farm, when I got here the farmer was separating the lambs from the ewes in one field so I thought I’d give him a hand, these are t

I could of taken a neck shot the other night, but for the few deer I shoot it just didn’t seem the right shot for me, like you say I can wait for another opportunity when the shot is one I’m comfortab

Posted Images

Had a walk around the sheep farm again last night, just to get out the house for a bit, in between dodging the showers me and little Hugo’s dad shot a few hoppers, before we came across a stunning looking roe doe as we were watching her Andy said by the way she’s moving she’s got a follower, ( he knows a bit about deer ) sure enough a minute or two later a buck came to the top of the hill and Andy got all excited “ that’s at least a silver “ means nowt to me, I’m more interested in eating it, so with a .243 stuffed with 70gn ballistic tips we decided not to shoot,  they may well be another trip out in the coming days/weeks with the 90gn sp’s, it’s been a long time since I’ve taken deer so it will be nice to have a go again and fill the freezer ?

223749BD-66EF-4E6C-9A26-9EFB1A713B91.jpeg

9B57E7EA-8A39-42CE-9043-1A3CD7EE87BF.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Look forward to seeing the Silver if you ever see it again ? Roe trophies are graded into Bronze , Silver and Gold depending on a measuring system which includes  9 categories weight , volume , length , inside span , colour, coronets , pearling , tine ends and regularity. Hard to assess on the hoof buta medal usually stands out. I have been fortunate to take 2 Silvers in my time but the elusive Gold has evaded me. Be nice to see it if you manage to grass it , rut not too far away will be a good time to find him ?

• Like 3

When he glassed it, he got all excited about the size and condition of the beast and how identical the tines were, for me I’m not interested in trophy’s, I more interested in filling my fat face ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was bothered about meat damage with the ballistic tip, them sako 70’s just make a mess, if I’d of head shot it my mate would of never spoken to me again and a neck shot didn’t seem right, I like the idea of going there looking for it with the proper gear for the job

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

So, we have came back to the sheep farm for that buck, walked the long way around because the wind was all wrong, spotted him in next doors wheat making his way to our side, we lost sight of him so moved to the bottom of the field, Hugo’s dad seen him coming through the hedge when we were expecting it to be in the grass field next to us. So it didn’t offer a shot, just looked at us face on before hopping the gutter and away, if it wasn’t such a magnificent beast I would of head shot it also if we had stayed where we were when we first seen him the shot would of been on, I’ve now remembered why I don’t shoot many deer, it’s so frustrating and they never do what you expect them to 

so after that we’ve took our frustrations out on half a dozen rabbits with the .17 and are now having a call for an hour sat on the bails

61EBD84F-82B5-40BD-A66D-52183F684363.jpeg

7AB88AD8-56CE-40DE-BF78-1807BF314CCD.jpeg

• Like 6

Well not a fox to be seen so I called it a night just before 12, drive out of the farm my phone rang “ farmer John “  asking if I’d had any luck with the foxes, after telling him I’d seen nothing he went on to say “ you should try the front fields, I seen two cubs crossing the road into the front field last night” this information might of been more use to me earlier in the day when I spoke to him, anyway he told me about another field they have rented for grazing in walking distance from the farm and that there’s a small wood at the rear that might be worth a call, with a bit of luck I’ll get back up this week 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Great result mate   , and a bonus Jay ?

Last season on the shoot off the feeders. Thought I sent you that mate 

My mate had 8 last week of the green feeder middle of the day in 2 hours. Once they find peanuts there is no stopping them. I am as bad with ginsters??

Edited by bumpy22
  • Haha 1

Think on of my neighbours takes them in off the RSPCA. My neighbor the other side tells me to shoot them off her bird feeders. I have a trap running too.

#25 fell Friday. That's in two months.

Just got to wait for the white van drop some more off ?

• Haha 2