Fighting dogs of great Britain an ireland

The video of Reid, Skipper is towards the end. 

The thing that stood out for me when I first saw a Bulldog is how springy and athletic they are, you just can tell they are built to perfection. 

Edited by Greb147

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greg ,a boring old man story to illustrate my point .....many years ago I was having a natter with an old boy in the pub ,Henry Cooper s name came up ,and the fella mentioned he had sparred with him ,

Gotta laugh at people arguing about stuff because of what they've read somewhere when chances are theyve probably never even laod hands on a proper bulldog.

I was never really a fan of Staffords but they was a lovely little dog to shape up compared to bulldogs.....they always had that scatty over enthusiastic way about them whereas the bulldogs could be s

Posted Images

I was never really a fan of Staffords but they was a lovely little dog to shape up compared to bulldogs.....they always had that scatty over enthusiastic way about them whereas the bulldogs could be stubborn,moody sometimes just plain lazy but them Staffords would take just as much exercise as you could give them,lovely to rub down even when you hit a sore spot they would never even raise a lip it took me years to realise the personality of a dog could often dictate the condition you could put on them....a fit one of decent conformation often looked a physically more impressive dog than a bulldog as they had that tight bunchy musculature compared to the longer rangier frame of a bulldog,obviously they was all different shapes and sizes but in general the Stafford looked like the bodybuilder and the bulldog looked like the fighter.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I was never really a fan of Staffords but they was a lovely little dog to shape up compared to bulldogs.....they always had that scatty over enthusiastic way about them whereas the bulldogs could be stubborn,moody sometimes just plain lazy but them Staffords would take just as much exercise as you could give them,lovely to rub down even when you hit a sore spot they would never even raise a lip it took me years to realise the personality of a dog could often dictate the condition you could put on them....a fit one of decent conformation often looked a physically more impressive dog than a bulldog as they had that tight bunchy musculature compared to the longer rangier frame of a bulldog,obviously they was all different shapes and sizes but in general the Stafford looked like the bodybuilder and the bulldog looked like the fighter.

The leggier and rangier Bulldogs look a lot better to me than the shorter and stockier dogs, as elegant as a race horse when in condition. 

Dogs like this just ooze conformation perfection to me. 

deser_rat__ch_doc_hollday.jpg

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1

Of course they do from an athletic perspective but like i said from a " showy " perspective Staffords with those short muscle bellies were often more visually appealing.

Like comparing Ronnie Coleman to Anthony Joshua one is conditioned to LOOK impressive the other is conditioned to BE impressive.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Francie, 

Seeing as we’re pals these days , I’ll see if I have a copy of that hanging around slack that I’ll send ya over ! 

Thank you stiff mate, now I understand the pm lol

I will go east and go west
From whence came
The moon and the sun

Fol lol the doh, fol the day
Fol the doh, fol the day

The moon and the sun will go
And the young man with his reputation behind him

Fol the doh, fol the day

Fol the doh, fol the day

I will go wherever he came from
The young man with his reputation behind him

Fol the doh, fol the day

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Screenshot_20200611-203029.png.a4b088b6ebdd317812f43631e0a23eab.png

I dug that out of the closet after reading your post.Hope it helps.Couldnt get a good pic.Had a few from them.they we're good catchdogs on hog.I can't find any pictures sorry.

Screenshot_20200611-203659.png.f3280ae50ee5e01a4a01a1529bba59e6.png

The last one I had from source.Bitch who was white and brindle and had 1 glass eye.

I still have the handwritten copy because I never send in to register dogs.Why should I pay for them to tell me what I already know.

Goodman Rick, I think you've posted  the pic I was after, the pic center bottom, what an animal my friend thank you any other pics of the centre bottom dog? 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Greb147 said:

The video of Reid, Skipper is towards the end. 

The thing that stood out for me when I first saw a Bulldog is how springy and athletic they are, you just can tell they are built to perfection. 

Thank you big dog il give it a look now

9 minutes ago, Francie said:

Goodman Rick, I think you've posted  the pic I was after, the pic center bottom, what an animal my friend thank you any other pics of the centre bottom dog? 

No sir I dont.Its Colby's tige I think from .100 years ago.Look in Joseph Colby's book.I think it is free on Google books.Lou Colby's book is worth a read also.

1 minute ago, Rickshaw swami said:

No sir I dont.Its Colby's tige I think from .100 years ago.Look in Joseph Colby's book.I think it is free on Google books.Lou Colby's book is worth a read also.

Thank you Rick, glad I found the pic, it didn't dissapoint bud 

• Like 1