Mountain Bike.

15 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Finally got the new bike I'd ordered late last year and have to say its some tool. 

It'll take a couple of days to get the suspension dailed in but first day out on it yesterday felt brilliant. 

IMG_20210524_184928.jpg

What's the thought about the "new" idea of only having one front chainring please mate?

Cheers, D.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couple over looking Ullswater..

Took 2 months of waiting for some to come in stock and ended up with this trek x-caliber 7. Havnt been out much on it yet but it seems decent enough 

Finally got the new bike I'd ordered late last year and have to say its some tool.  It'll take a couple of days to get the suspension dailed in but first day out on it yesterday felt brilliant. 

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Less weight , less to go wrong , more of a workout ?

I get that but why have manufacturers gone back to it now? Might as well have single speed if that were the case, surely can't go as fast, climb as steep without the other two rings?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, dytkos said:

I get that but why have manufacturers gone back to it now? Might as well have single speed if that were the case, surely can't go as fast, climb as steep without the other two rings?

Cheers, D.

The range on the that cassette is pretty impressive dytkos. 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

A bit of a better picture of the cassette and you can see the size of the climbing gear. Screenshot_20210524_213809_com.android.gallery3d.jpg.9e18021f04ae9f162d7cbfdb2463e8cb.jpg

• Like 2

Cracking bike that dmd? 

Yes my Sram cassette has a 50 tooth at the top.. that's very big! 

But Srams rival, Shimano, didn't want to be outdone in the big sprocket war.. and released a 51 tooth sprocket!!

I think the last I'd read... Sram came back recently with a 52!!!??

I can spin up any hill with the range I've got.. but i could just do with a slightly harder gear at the top end.. i do sometimes spin out on a long flat trail. It's no big deal to be fair though.

22 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

Cracking bike that dmd? 

But Srams rival, Shimano, didn't want to be outdone in the big sprocket war.. and released a 51 tooth sprocket!!

I can spin up any hill with the range I've got.. but i could just do with a slightly harder gear at the top end.. i do sometimes spin out on a long flat trail. It's no big deal to be fair though.

My whyte had a 50 tooth the new bike has the 52, agree with you about spinning out at times on the fire roads but I've never had that problem on the trails so no real issue for me either. 

2 hours ago, dogmandont said:

A bit of a better picture of the cassette and you can see the size of the climbing gear. Screenshot_20210524_213809_com.android.gallery3d.jpg.9e18021f04ae9f162d7cbfdb2463e8cb.jpg

I'm out of touch with modern stuff tbh, I've got 2k in my Marin and it's 20 year old lol 

Do they not brand the groupsets now, mine are XT on the "good" bike?

Cheers, D.

7 hours ago, dytkos said:

I'm out of touch with modern stuff tbh, I've got 2k in my Marin and it's 20 year old lol 

Do they not brand the groupsets now, mine are XT on the "good" bike?

Cheers, D.

Yea they're still branded, mine are sram GX EAGLE on both my bikes, the brakes on my whyte are shimano XTs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, dytkos said:

What's the thought about the "new" idea of only having one front chainring please mate?

Cheers, D.

it is to keep costs down as with mine you do not get anywhere near the choice with just one.i need more gears on mine.can get into top gear very easy and going down hill i now have to freewheel.biggest dissapointment with my new bike.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

it is to keep costs down as with mine you do not get anywhere near the choice with just one.i need more gears on mine.can get into top gear very easy and going down hill i now have to freewheel.biggest dissapointment with my new bike.

I could be wrong but I don't think it has anything to do with cost for the simple reason even the very top end mtbs still come with a single chain ring up front. 

Im no brendog but I've never needed another gear on the trails could maybe do with it on the fire roads now and again but that's about it. 

22 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Finally got the new bike I'd ordered late last year and have to say its some tool. 

It'll take a couple of days to get the suspension dailed in but first day out on it yesterday felt brilliant. 

IMG_20210524_184928.jpg

Blimey, that looks some bit of kit that does mate.

Do you mind me asking how much a thing like that sets you back ? 

21 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Cracking bike that dmd? 

Sounds like a Gillette Mach 8 going up against a Wilkinson sword bull bar toe to toer

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

Blimey, that looks some bit of kit that does mate.

Do you mind me asking how much a thing like that sets you back ? 

3900 euros wilf, only place could get me one was a bike shop in Sligo. 

The same bike in carbon fibre with all the bells and whistles is over 9 grand. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

3900 euros wilf, only place could get me one was a bike shop in Sligo. 

The same bike in carbon fibre with all the bells and whistles is over 9 grand. 

Lovely bit of kit mate ?

• Like 1