Mountain Bike.

I've got a very decent MB myself that I payed £1500 for a few years back but we don't get on, I'm going to sell that and will be looking for another. 

Any lads in to their biking on here and if so what's the best out there for about 1K, going to get one on the cycle to work scheme. 

I've read great reviews on the Boardman that's 1K.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couple over looking Ullswater..

Took 2 months of waiting for some to come in stock and ended up with this trek x-caliber 7. Havnt been out much on it yet but it seems decent enough 

Finally got the new bike I'd ordered late last year and have to say its some tool.  It'll take a couple of days to get the suspension dailed in but first day out on it yesterday felt brilliant. 

Posted Images

Get a bike with a decent frame mate.., but, the most important thing imo.. is the group set/ gear set!!! That's the bits that move constantly and does all the work.

Somthing reliable.. that won't need constant tweeking and attention!!

Just let you enjoy your riding as after all... that's what it's all about pal... plus some strave KOM's...??

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I've got a very decent MB myself that I payed £1500 for a few years back but we don't get on, I'm going to sell that and will be looking for another. 

Any lads in to their biking on here and if so what's the best out there for about 1K, going to get one on the cycle to work scheme. 

I've read great reviews on the Boardman that's 1K.

Have a look at the calibre bossnut from go outdoors they get some very good reviews and you get a very capable mtb for just over a grand. 

I ride a whyte 605, I’ve had a orange, trek and many years ago a KHS and cannondale and at under £700 it’s a lot of bike for the money, it won best hard tail under £750 in mountain bike rider, I don’t give it any abuse now because I’m a fat middle aged man now but it is very nice to ride

0D927E3E-B0C0-433C-9876-224CB0E50AB9.jpeg

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Have a look at the calibre bossnut from go outdoors they get some very good reviews and you get a very capable mtb for just over a grand. 

I've read they are decent. I've got a Cube Reaction Pro Carbon, light as hell at 11.9kg but for some reason I don't enjoy the ride. 

I went on my mates Vodoo today and although it's a much cheaper bike it was much easier and smoother to ride to me. 

received_164586344917420.jpeg

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I've read they are decent. I've got a Cube Reaction Pro Carbon, light as hell at 11.9kg but for some reason I don't enjoy the ride. 

I went on my mates Vodoo today and although it's a much cheaper bike it was much easier and smoother to ride to me. 

received_164586344917420.jpeg

What kind of cycling are doing? 

If it's grinding out the miles on pretty smooth trails you might have no need for a full suspension. 

10 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

On the road and trails, will be after a hard tail. 

I've always preferred a hard tail - that bobbing that you can get from rear suspension when you need to lean on the pedals gets on my tits and, it makes for harder work.

............ unless you're planning on being a proper downhill kamikaze. 

Front suspension or dampening (like on some of the older kit) to save your wrists and shoulders, and disc brakes and, decent gearing systems is worth spending a little extra on.

• Like 3
Just now, dogmandont said:

What kind of cycling are doing? 

If it's grinding out the miles on pretty smooth trails you might have no need for a full suspension. 

Yeah it will mainly be on smoothish trails tbh so looking at a hardtail, I've read that Calibre are decent bikes. 

On one site a Boardman has got voted best bike for under 1K but I'm sure you can't lock the forks off on the handlebars like some offer. 

7 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Yeah it will mainly be on smoothish trails tbh so looking at a hardtail, I've read that Calibre are decent bikes. 

On one site a Boardman has got voted best bike for under 1K but I'm sure you can't lock the forks off on the handlebars like some offer. 

One of the lads I go out with had a boardman hardtail for a few years and he really liked it. 529A6B5D-E3FE-4E12-A2AE-54D941990458.jpeg.958d2beff0b3dee356a294c081fa41c1.jpegDone 19k earlier this evening on this and to be fair it climbs pretty decent with both shocks locked out and 30psi in the tyres. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, villaman said:

Have a look at the cube , you get a lot of bike for the money . I have one , also have a Scott hardtail but £3k  

I've got a Cube but don't get on with it, it's a Carbon frame so wonder if that's why I don't enjoy the ride. 

Ive a Boardman hydrid hard tail i bought 3-4 years back,i tend to split my run outs 50-50 between quite roads and rough woodland paths/trails which the bike handles well...not the lightest of bikes but its fine to keep me ticking over during the spring and summer months usually getting out around 3or 4 times a week weather permitted.

6 minutes ago, gaz said:

Ive a Boardman hydrid hard tail i bought 3-4 years back,i tend to split my run outs 50-50 between quite roads and rough woodland paths/trails which the bike handles well...not the lightest of bikes but its fine to keep me ticking over during the spring and summer months usually getting out around 3or 4 times a week weather permitted.

I was thinking of getting a hybrid but sometimes we end up in places we've never been so would sooner have a mountain bike just incase the terrain is too much for a hybrid.