Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I wanted a 177 air rifle again and stumbled upon a mint like new Walther Terrus.

It's quite good but the trigger was to heavy, probably 3.5lb.

On inspecting it was clear that the sears were in fact hooks!

I stoned them but not much, barely discernable to the eye. It's probably 2.5lb and a slightly cleaner break. I'll see how it goes.

35yds off hand neck shot.

20220617_165959.jpg.7514b0bb542e0f4ed163bc25db054308.jpg

Interesting, how does it compare to the hw99 SD?

37 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Interesting, how does it compare to the hw99 SD?

The 99 holds off hand better to be honest. And ofcourse,  the weirach trigger is better. 

My off hand shooting has improved via the trigger improvement going by this mornings session. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Stavross said:

Back up on the moor after a few rabbits and my god I needed the walk out after this week, I’m really enjoying the .22 at the minute and pushing it further than I would normally, it was a modest count of 43 rabbits this evening as we spent quite a lot of time enjoying the oystercatchers, lapwing and curlews, these are the things you can enjoy when predators are controlled so up yours Packham ?

E216ABC4-7F53-4247-B7A8-718D8AA77650.jpeg

ACF6EE07-F018-42E5-86B6-75052B9F614C.jpeg

43D9AE76-7870-485E-A02C-854B95830343.jpeg

74FF828E-4962-417E-B160-B849DEF8C51F.jpeg

Stunning find the Curlews nest, found one myself many years ago in Scotland ?

A trip up the shoot this evening to give the baited ride an hour or so, before heading over the piggeries I had a go at the crows around the farm as they are becoming a proper pain, one of them has taken to pulling the rubber off the windscreen wipers on the old girls car, they are crafty buggers and I’m sure they recognise the rifle,  there’s a good half dozen of them and I managed 2 with the .17 but don’t think I got the car vandal. Once I got over the piggeries I checked the baited area, all gone, I was quite confident that something would put in an appearance, after half an hour I put the caller on and gave that 40 minutes ish, nothing, so I thought sod it im off home, as I stepped out of the bracken towards the ride a fox trotted between the tree side and the ruff side of the piggeries, bugger ?, it was one of them “ I should of given it a few more minutes “ I didn’t try to call it and just let it disappear into the trees as I didn’t want to spook it, they are hard enough to shoot up there without educating them, walking back to the farm there was quite a few fallow about, something had unsettled them as they were all barking and bounding through the trees, getting back to the farm I managed a couple of rabbits to finish the night off before heading home ? 

6CFDE921-DCD1-4287-A9EF-52161DD92C29.jpeg

47F011E9-8E34-4E79-BDAE-1FF97CFBC85C.jpeg

736C6BDE-B049-4084-BA04-BE0C4138BDCB.jpeg

• Like 8

I also hit the crows on a farm again. I got a few then they were gone. They know the routine!

I then went and stood over a late field of maize where a fox was screaming a a couple of nights ago. Didn't see it. I was there for two hours. A hare came right up to me. It was good to see that big eye so close!

I then went to another farm a couple of miles away by a small river, it was freezing! I was ?. Then the mist appeared so I turned back. On the way back I looked over a gate to only observe a rabbit running towards me out of the fog! Hmm I thought, what has pushed him?

A quick scan with the red light and yep Charlie just into the fog.

Switch the nv and nothing. They don't work in fog to well do they! The fox skirts the fog and slips away.

It's about midnight now and the sky is still blue. I next visit the chicken ranch next to home only to go and bump into a huge fox just through a gate tucking into chicken at 15yds! Yes, 15yds!

I gets the tripod set, observing him with the naked eye, a dark shape sat there starring at me. As soon as I try to get the rifle off my shoulder it bolts.....arrrrrrr?.

I've been trying for weeks on this sucker?.

As I got home gone midnight a vixen screamed in the distance mocking me!

Wouldn't change it for the world! ?

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 7
10 hours ago, Stavross said:

A trip up the shoot this evening to give the baited ride an hour or so, before heading over the piggeries I had a go at the crows around the farm as they are becoming a proper pain, one of them has taken to pulling the rubber off the windscreen wipers on the old girls car, they are crafty buggers and I’m sure they recognise the rifle,  there’s a good half dozen of them and I managed 2 with the .17 but don’t think I got the car vandal. Once I got over the piggeries I checked the baited area, all gone, I was quite confident that something would put in an appearance, after half an hour I put the caller on and gave that 40 minutes ish, nothing, so I thought sod it im off home, as I stepped out of the bracken towards the ride a fox trotted between the tree side and the ruff side of the piggeries, bugger ?, it was one of them “ I should of given it a few more minutes “ I didn’t try to call it and just let it disappear into the trees as I didn’t want to spook it, they are hard enough to shoot up there without educating them, walking back to the farm there was quite a few fallow about, something had unsettled them as they were all barking and bounding through the trees, getting back to the farm I managed a couple of rabbits to finish the night off before heading home ? 

6CFDE921-DCD1-4287-A9EF-52161DD92C29.jpeg

47F011E9-8E34-4E79-BDAE-1FF97CFBC85C.jpeg

736C6BDE-B049-4084-BA04-BE0C4138BDCB.jpeg

Beautiful sky Stav?

• Like 1

Quick walk around with the hmr resulted in a Maggie. Immensely satisfying!

Then it was pesting work on rabbits and private dwellings/small holdings.

The WaltherTerrus is much better after the trigger job. Five rabbits, two crows. One crow at 60 and one rabbit over 50, all off hand.

20220619_175451.jpg.662d63ef0c0000dbb0ad45543bdd00e1.jpg

• Like 10
26 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Quick walk around with the hmr resulted in a Maggie. Immensely satisfying!

Then it was pesting work on rabbits and private dwellings/small holdings.

The WaltherTerrus is much better after the trigger job. Five rabbits, two crows. One crow at 60 and one rabbit over 50, all off hand.

20220619_175451.jpg.662d63ef0c0000dbb0ad45543bdd00e1.jpg

That's some mighty shooting.  ?

• Like 1

Looked out the window tonight and saw a heart in the sky , so thought this must be an omen so grabbed the rifle and off for a wander. 

Busy watching lapwings, curlews and managed to get within a couple of yards of a snipe crouched down?

I was wandering through an uncut silage field when a young roe burst out of the hedge , quick check with bins revealed a spiker . Up on sticks watching him bound off but he stopped for that fatal look back at around 120 yds and that was him in the bag ?

Now there a few fields cut so I will hang about til dark and see if any ? are about.

20220619_200054.jpg

20220619_210442.jpg

• Like 7

At 9.30pm just after making a brew I realised I was nearly out of milk. A trip to the local spar in the village was needed and so I set off. I decided to take the long way round so that I could check on some fields down the road. The farmer said he would cutting grass this week and I wanted to get on it when he had. Two minutes down the road and I was pleased to see two fields had been cut and the grass still on the ground. A trip out tonight was on the cards. I left the house at 10.30pm and was on the field four minutes later. The foxpro was out 50yds to my left and field mouse distress had been preselected and muted. It was still incredibly light at this time but I started scanning with the thermal off the back of the Jimny. Just after 11.00pm I saw something enter the field 400yds in front of me. I thought it was a hare to start with until it moved, then that glide like walk that foxes have gave it away. Straight away the foxpro was unmuted and the sound carried a long way on the still evening. The fox was busy mooching amongst the cut grass so it took a minute or so for it to hear the caller. It weighed up where the sound was coming from and then started to trot in fairly quickly. I let it come to about 150yds then muted the caller again. It stopped within a few paces and I placed the reticule on the line where the neck blends into the bib and squeezed off a shot. The fox crumpled instantly and never moved. I took a good bearing from a fence line because I have struggled to find them in grass like this before and I didn’t have my dog with me because she was at home with her pups that where born on Friday. It took me about 10 minutes of searching but eventually I found it 154yds away. It was a 15lb dog fox and I was pleased to get it out of the way before it turned up at my house killing my poultry.

8CD23BD7-F6F9-409D-A2B8-D493304614B3.jpeg

• Like 8
9 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Looked out the window tonight and saw a heart in the sky , so thought this must be an omen so grabbed the rifle and off for a wander. 

Was it an omen saying you need to go out and put a round through a heart ??

• Haha 2