Back up at the shoot

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Continuing on I spotted the foxy red coat of a deer in the next field with head down ....up came its head revealing a buck so the stalk was on? I stalked down the hedge , crossed through the hedge and was around 100 yards away. On the bipod I had to wait until he moved a few yards forward to reveal his shoulder and down he went .

Into the next field which was topped grass I placed out the caller 70 yds away and lay in the field. 3 minutes into cub call and a dog fox came flying in and sat down 50 yds short of the caller staring at it.

Now I was looking at 12 o clock and the fox was sat at 9 o clock so I had to shuffle around to get the shot , luckily he never spotted me ??

So within 20 minutes of being on the ground I had my double.....

20220606_211641.jpg

20220606_213503.jpg

20220606_214217.jpg

Cracking afternoon ? 

• Like 1

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Continuing on I spotted the foxy red coat of a deer in the next field with head down ....up came its head revealing a buck so the stalk was on? I stalked down the hedge , crossed through the hedge and was around 100 yards away. On the bipod I had to wait until he moved a few yards forward to reveal his shoulder and down he went .

Into the next field which was topped grass I placed out the caller 70 yds away and lay in the field. 3 minutes into cub call and a dog fox came flying in and sat down 50 yds short of the caller staring at it.

Now I was looking at 12 o clock and the fox was sat at 9 o clock so I had to shuffle around to get the shot , luckily he never spotted me ??

So within 20 minutes of being on the ground I had my double.....

20220606_211641.jpg

20220606_213503.jpg

20220606_214217.jpg

Here, your just rubbing my nose in it now, with your daytime foxes ??

• Haha 3

Up at my mates for an hour tonight to clear a few more off the freshly drilled game cover, winged and fur, took a couple of hoppers down to where I seen the fox the other night, gave it 40 minutes or so but didn’t see anything, I can’t wait until all this wheat is down, over the summer I just spend my time wishing my life away, dreaming of stubble fields 

91CFE153-7C43-4F20-B3F1-F0840697A55C.jpeg

DEE1583D-CD03-4AC9-A0B1-E268488B45FA.jpeg

E8216F25-427D-44E5-8469-4655A95BBA12.jpeg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

This stuff is getting ridiculous, £146 for 200 .17hmr and 500 .22 subs, the Norma was the cheapest in the shop ?

C389F92D-AC93-48F8-9D3F-EADA72FDED4A.jpeg

Yerr, the hmr’s are creeping up, I can still get v-max for £15 but haven’t bought any for ages. As for .22’s, the club target stuff is usually cheaper and more consistent. Head shot rabbits and squirrels don’t know the difference. I believe the Norma’s are rws subs in a different box, if so, they should be good. Let us know how you get on with them.?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Dont mind the .22 price but HMR ?

Bunnies prefer the .22 anyway ??

hmr has never been the most useful of calibres for me, and I can reload .22 hornet cheaper so it doesn’t get used much. I have two .22’s and use them both ten times more than hmr. 

• Like 1

It no secret that I love the HMR, I think some people way under estimate how far you can effectively shoot with it, I’d never normally shoot a fox over 100 with it, but rabbits and other small stuff, well, if I can see it I can hit it, but the way the prices are going up it will get to the point where I’ll just use the .223 for pest control 

10 hours ago, Stavross said:

It no secret that I love the HMR, I think some people way under estimate how far you can effectively shoot with it, I’d never normally shoot a fox over 100 with it, but rabbits and other small stuff, well, if I can see it I can hit it, but the way the prices are going up it will get to the point where I’ll just use the .223 for pest control 

All ammo has gone up a lot recently, but I am surprised just how high some of the rimfire is heading!!!

If anyone is after Hornady HMR 17g V-Max, brand new sealed boxes, I have access to some, available in 500 bricks only, at £130.

I'm personally fully stocked up to my limit, but can get these and pass on this offer until they are all gone!

PM if interested please!!!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Stavross said:

hunt about for a second hand reloading setup stav.. if you can rebuild a truck engine you'll find loading your own a pice of pi55..

costs about 34p for me to load a ,223 round and you'll be able to stock up on lead before this copper ban gets under way, I saw some 6.5x55 at that shooting show£65 for 20 rounds :icon_eek:.. I load mine for about 70p each and there more accurate than shelf stuff

On 05/06/2022 at 07:56, Sausagedog said:

He is devoted to the job. And given a boost to the diversity of life there.

What kind of shotgun does he use?

hes been mixing it up this morning.. 20bore with 3" 35gram 2's

e78b55a2-e62c-411c-b9e4-111c1b66ee1c.jpg.7a694df68e649f02878a6e162d88883c.jpg80c02299-463d-4e08-bcf3-6dab2a349b5b.jpg.301ff479e098b005553fe80d3a00c218.jpg

• Like 5