6 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Greb: Speaking as a Birder? If  you want a pair for generally wandering around, getting an absolute certainty of what that little bird in the hedge, over the fence, or up in that tree is? The Carl Zeiss Jena Deltrintem 8x30 has been the Birders bench mark for ever. I always had mine, round my neck. 'Scope and 'pod over the shoulder. Nothing was safe.

Ridiculously well within your budget, s/h on ebay. Absolute work horse. You'd have to pry mine from my cold, dead hands! Got them, s/h, decades ago. They still live right beside me and are grabbed about daily.

As Meece has said though, it's horses for courses.

Funny you should mention Zeiss...

My good friend has been a birder for 50+ years and been through a good few pairs of bins in his time, 2 years ago he sold his Swarovski bins and bought a pair of Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 and said they were better glass and build and quality than the Swarovski’s he’d chopped them in for and also a third of the price ? He swears by them but I do also agree with above comments about trying different pairs as you can physically see the difference when when looking through them, my initial intention was to put about £100 limit on them until I tried a few pair and ended up spending just less than £300 but the difference was night and day... You do get what you pay for to a certain degree.

• Like 1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ask Andy Kelly he screwed plenty out the lads on here he might have a spare pair

If money was no factor,  what would you buy, Swarovski ... Leica.?  The amount of times people ask advice on which binoculars they always seem to get steered  towards big cheap optics.  you have state

Greb: Speaking as a Birder? If  you want a pair for generally wandering around, getting an absolute certainty of what that little bird in the hedge, over the fence, or up in that tree is? The Carl Zei

Posted Images

For the money I don’t think you will buy better than vortex, I use the cheaper 8x42 crossfire at about £150 for about £80 more you can get the diamondbacks, all are lifetime warranty 

49DC494C-BFDF-4CA4-8BBD-310BA7B3735A.jpeg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Greb: Speaking as a Birder? If  you want a pair for generally wandering around, getting an absolute certainty of what that little bird in the hedge, over the fence, or up in that tree is? The Carl Zeiss Jena Deltrintem 8x30 has been the Birders bench mark for ever. I always had mine, round my neck. 'Scope and 'pod over the shoulder. Nothing was safe.

Ridiculously well within your budget, s/h on ebay. Absolute work horse. You'd have to pry mine from my cold, dead hands! Got them, s/h, decades ago. They still live right beside me and are grabbed about daily.

What year were yours made? 

The question is are older higher spec binoculars better than modern binoculars at an affordable price? 

31 minutes ago, Stavross said:

For the money I don’t think you will buy better than vortex, I use the cheaper 8x42 crossfire at about £150 for about £80 more you can get the diamondbacks, all are lifetime warranty 

49DC494C-BFDF-4CA4-8BBD-310BA7B3735A.jpeg

Just seen the Diamondback HD, got great reviews and in my price range. 

I think I'm going to go and have a gander myself, your eyes are the best reviewers. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Just seen the Diamondback HD, got great reviews and in my price range. 

I think I'm going to go and have a gander myself, your eyes are the best reviewers. 

I’ve had a few different makes, nothing over a couple of hundred quid and these are by far the best I’ve had, I also use vortex scopes on my centrefire rifle, a lot more money than the Bino’s but the light gathering is superb

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Greb147 said:

What year were yours made? 

The question is are older higher spec binoculars better than modern binoculars at an affordable price? 

I've no clue when mine were made. About when they built Stonehenge, looking at them. I picked them up second hand and extremely well worn in, even then.

Are old better than new? No idea. These have suited generations of Birders. I'm no wheel fixer ?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, cragman said:

I use leica, great pair of binos. Dual focus and fantastic clear glass. Bit out of your budget at the moment but if you get chance....??

For years I used to  carry a small pair of random bins in my jacket top pocket.  They were good because they saved my legs a lot of walking.  eventually they got out of pitch and I looked for new.  I went and looked through about three sets.  Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica.  Every one of them were very good and I spent about an hour or more going from one to the other and back and back.  Eventually it was the Leicas.  they suited me.  I couldn't care less about how much they were because unless they get destroyed or disappear they ain't going to get changed.  I got the small Trinovid 8x20.  They are so small and light that they would fit in you trouser pocket but the optical performance is incredibly outstanding. I can see fence posts from about a mile and a half away.

21 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

An old woman who lived near me gave me her deceased husbands Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30 binos.  I think that he used them at horse races.  They are like new complete with leather case. These are the cheaper East German ones but They are blooming good glass and not far off my Leicas.  for me I can't now imagine carting a big pair of bins round a shoot.  even if they were used out of a vehicle I don't see any optical advantage.  a good pair will hold a resale value should you no longer want them ect.

Edit.  Seeing as the moon is so full I took three sets of bins out  in the back garden to look at it.  TheTrinovid 8x20 Leicas, the Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30 and another good pair of 7x50s  I could hold the 7x50s steady and they were good.  The Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem were very good and I could clearly see craters on the surface but the LeicaTrinovid 8x20 were sharper, clearer and just better. Still that's why they are more expensive.  There are several Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem on Ebay for silly cheap money.

Ps edit... I wasn't looking at anyone over the road.  Honest.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, Meece said:

For years I used to  carry a small pair of random bins in my jacket top pocket.  They were good because they saved my legs a lot of walking.  eventually they got out of pitch and I looked for new.  I went and looked through about three sets.  Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica.  Every one of them were very good and I spent about an hour or more going from one to the other and back and back.  Eventually it was the Leicas.  they suited me.  I couldn't care less about how much they were because unless they get destroyed or disappear they ain't going to get changed.  I got the small Trinovid 8x20.  They are so small and light that they would fit in you trouser pocket but the optical performance is incredibly outstanding. I can see fence posts from about a mile and a half away.

An old woman who lived near me gave me her deceased husbands Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30 binos.  I think that he used them at horse races.  They are like new complete with leather case. These are the cheaper East German ones but They are blooming good glass and not far off my Leicas.  for me I can't now imagine carting a big pair of bins round a shoot.  even if they were used out of a vehicle I don't see any optical advantage.  a good pair will hold a resale value should you no longer want them ect.

Edit.  Seeing as the moon is so full I took three sets of bins out  in the back garden to look at it.  TheTrinovid 8x20 Leicas, the Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30 and another good pair of 7x50s  I could hold the 7x50s steady and they were good.  The Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem were very good and I could clearly see craters on the surface but the LeicaTrinovid 8x20 were sharper, clearer and just better. Still that's why they are more expensive.  There are several Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem on Ebay for silly cheap money.

Ps edit... I wasn't looking at anyone over the road.  Honest.

Just had a look out of curiosity!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1881189725

18 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I've read the Vortex offer a lifetime warranty only with approved retailers, who are the best retailers out there? 

The warranty is with vortex, so it doesn’t matter who you get them from, a mate of mine dropped a rifle and damaged a scope, contacted vortex U.K., told them what he had done, sent it to them and they sent a replacement, no proof of purchase needed?

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1