Woodland management

6 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

There's Roe in here, saw a canny buck the other week early one morning, there's a few high seats still up from when this place was part of a shoot, one of the plot owners was saying he'd be doing some deer management, but I don't know if he has, one of the other owners was saying he wishes somebody would thin them out, there's a keepers place over the back, and there's always shots going off, but I don't know if anyone's bothering with the deer

Plenty of lads on here to help out mate .From what I’ve seen with management and regen is it’s pointless if the deer population is eating growing shoots etc .You need a plan to stick to .

Where are you based mate .

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like another storm coming in, hope it doesn't do as much damage as last time, wind's right up, had enough rain to fill a reservoir aswell lol, nice break in the weather this afternoon though fo

Hard days work on the clearing, and good to see the sweet chestnut sapling growing on well

You've got a f***ing panther! 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Plenty of lads on here to help out mate .From what I’ve seen with management and regen is it’s pointless if the deer population is eating growing shoots etc .You need a plan to stick to .

Where are you based mate .

Northumberland mate, I think it might take a bit of organising bringing someone in for deer management, there's a lot of plots in here between 20 and 30 with people coming and going at all hours, the fella that's talking about doing some control has a more open plot with a high seat on the farmland boundary, I'll have to have a word with him, and see if he's doing anything, other owners have been using the tall tree guards for the planting, I've been pollarding the goat willow at about shoulder height and that's coming away well

Any deer management needs to be collaborative mate .Shooting  deer on a small plot does more harm than good especially removing decent bucks this time of year .Good luck mate and keep the posts coming .Enjoy the read .

• Thanks 1

Without reading the whole topic..!

Look after your Jay family's, no matter what they do to the songbirds.

For about 10 years they will plant you more Oak, Chestnut and Horsechestnut, amongst others, than you could ever do.

They will provide everything every other species needs to survive....

We seem to have an inbuilt habit of blasting Jay's and yet these birds are the ultimate in woodland habitat provision.

3 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

For about 10 years they will plant you more Oak, Chestnut and Horsechestnut, amongst others, than you could ever do.

We seem to have an inbuilt habit of blasting Jay's and yet these birds are the ultimate in woodland habitat provision.

I was told the same about jays  by my old man years ago 

• Thanks 1
Just now, Blackmag said:

I was told the same about jays  by my old man years ago 

And your 'ol man knew his stuff mate... ?

We just see Jay's as crows and Magpie's BUT BUT they are much more... Much more to woodland habitat, much more to biodiversity and really something to shout about.

Hats off to your 'ol man mate. He knew his onions, a true Countryman... ?

Some species make Briton great... ?

Just now, Blackmag said:

Thanks for that Paul he always held you in high regard and how much you do for lurcher and terrier work made him chuckle when you told him it was you who sold his good mate gordon the yappy terrier that caused all the grief 

10 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

I like seeing and hearing the Jays making their racket, magpies are scarce here, I'm not interested in killing anything, it's learning about woodland ecology, restoration, and habitat improvement, bio diversity etc for me, there's a sparrowhawk that keeps the songbirds on their toes, but the place is well stocked with a variety of species, and the difference in tree species between some of the plots is considerable one of which has some healthy mature Scots Pine

• Like 1

Been busy myself this year. Helping a mate with a bit of management of a new 90acre woodland. Clear felling a few areas for flushing points, a pen, and generally open spots. Lots of thinning to do too. Loving this opportunity tbh.

IMG_4620.jpeg

IMG_4625.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4533.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4504.jpeg

IMG_4766.jpeg

A74F8D7C-E967-4414-9095-17C81932D4E0.jpeg

• Like 4
On 20/06/2023 at 19:16, Born Hunter said:

Been busy myself this year. Helping a mate with a bit of management of a new 90acre woodland. Clear felling a few areas for flushing points, a pen, and generally open spots. Lots of thinning to do too. Loving this opportunity tbh.

IMG_4620.jpeg

IMG_4625.jpeg

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4533.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4504.jpeg

IMG_4766.jpeg

A74F8D7C-E967-4414-9095-17C81932D4E0.jpeg

That's a big old plot mate 

Willow hamper be fukked, is there any Wensleydale with cranberries in there?  :hmm:

4 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

That's a big old plot mate 

Willow hamper be fukked, is there any Wensleydale with cranberries in there?  :hmm:

Not that I know of but tbh we’re still discovering stuff!

Just letting light in and sorting out ready for the season this year. We’ve already felled enough to heat a village till the end of time! Getting that proper understory established in spots will improve the wood a lot.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Not that I know of but tbh we’re still discovering stuff!

Just letting light in and sorting out ready for the season this year. We’ve already felled enough to heat a village till the end of time! Getting that proper understory established in spots will improve the wood a lot.

Aye, it's a lot of work, been rough going today with the humidity, thunder flies are out in force, bit of spruce smoke helps 

IMG_20230624_124302_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230624_123938_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230624_162441_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230624_162517_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230624_162658_HDR.jpg

• Like 3