Woodland management

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like another storm coming in, hope it doesn't do as much damage as last time, wind's right up, had enough rain to fill a reservoir aswell lol, nice break in the weather this afternoon though fo

Hard days work on the clearing, and good to see the sweet chestnut sapling growing on well

You've got a f***ing panther! 

Posted Images

Looks like you've had another busy one. ?.

I've tried bracken beating for the last couple of years , and although it held the bracken back a bit , it's still growing.  This year I've been strimming,  and hoping that it won't come back next year.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mel b said:

Looks like you've had another busy one. ?.

I've tried bracken beating for the last couple of years , and although it held the bracken back a bit , it's still growing.  This year I've been strimming,  and hoping that it won't come back next year.

I was thinking the same way, if the bracken comes back strong I'll hit it with the brush cutter next year, been watching a bit on charcoal making, these little kilns look good 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

I was thinking the same way, if the bracken comes back strong I'll hit it with the brush cutter next year, been watching a bit on charcoal making, these little kilns look good 

That's a cracking video . I reckon it could be quite relaxing once you've mastered the art.

Unless you were selling the charcoal,  you'd need to have plenty of bbqs to make it worthwhile. 

2 hours ago, mel b said:

That's a cracking video . I reckon it could be quite relaxing once you've mastered the art.

Unless you were selling the charcoal,  you'd need to have plenty of bbqs to make it worthwhile. 

I might give charcoal making a go in the future, I've got stacks of birch wood at different stages of seasoning, got to consider the options 

4 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Nice fresh day today 

Thinning, and dead hedging 

IMG_20230724_160820_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230724_161153_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230724_160719_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230724_160744_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230724_155301_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230724_155116.jpg

IMG_20230724_155041.jpg

IMG_20230724_153550_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230724_163944_HDR.jpg

Nice pics mate beautiful mushroom the staghorn looks like it would be more at home in an aquarium 

WWW.WILDFOODUK.COM

It is a really beautiful, inedible mushroom. One often can spot it from distance, because it looks like a freshly set fire emerging from conifer stumps or roots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

I might give charcoal making a go in the future, I've got stacks of birch wood at different stages of seasoning, got to consider the options 

I reckon that charcoal making could be one of those skills that takes a long time to master.

7 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

He who dares Rodders 

It would be nice if you could produce enough to make a living. That would be a good reason to build a cabin in the woods.

9 hours ago, mel b said:

It would be nice if you could produce enough to make a living. That would be a good reason to build a cabin in the woods.

Have you got any goat willow in your woods, there's some where I am which looks like it's been coppiced in the past, I was thinking there could have been charcoal makers here before

2 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

Have you got any goat willow in your woods, there's some where I am which looks like it's been coppiced in the past, I was thinking there could have been charcoal makers here before

I haven’t noticed any. Mine is 90% oak , with a few,  rowan , Holly,  Hazel,  and the odd bit of this and that.

If your woodland has been used to produce charcoal in the past , you're halfway to your log cabin ?.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mel b said:

I haven’t noticed any. Mine is 90% oak , with a few,  rowan , Holly,  Hazel,  and the odd bit of this and that.

If your woodland has been used to produce charcoal in the past , you're halfway to your log cabin ?.

I was looking into the hybrid firewood willows a while back, supposed to produce a very quick regrow

1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

I was looking into the hybrid firewood willows a while back, supposed to produce a very quick regrow

I haven’t heard of those to be honest .

I look into all sorts of projects,  but I constantly get sidetracked,  and end up doing something else instead. 

How much time do you spend working in your woodland?. You certainly put some hard graft in.