Woodland management

2 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

I'd love a bit of a wood well any land for that matter 

Have a look on woods4sale mate, they've got plots all over the country, where there's a will there's a way, even if you have to get a few like minded people together and get  a mortgage on a place, there's some lads up here got a permission woodland off a farmer, and they're well away with their cabins and camp plots, all the best mate

• Like 1

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like another storm coming in, hope it doesn't do as much damage as last time, wind's right up, had enough rain to fill a reservoir aswell lol, nice break in the weather this afternoon though fo

Hard days work on the clearing, and good to see the sweet chestnut sapling growing on well

You've got a f***ing panther! 

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Have a look on woods4sale mate, they've got plots all over the country, where there's a will there's a way, even if you have to get a few like minded people together and get  a mortgage on a place, there's some lads up here got a permission woodland off a farmer, and they're well away with their cabins and camp plots, all the best mate

I love my woodland.  I'm happy to just sit on a log , and sharpen a stick ?.

• Like 2
On 09/07/2023 at 19:53, low plains drifter said:

I've looked into this...it seems you can buy the wood but can't put in running water or electric or put a permanent dwelling on one?

43 minutes ago, stop.end said:

I've looked into this...it seems you can buy the wood but can't put in running water or electric or put a permanent dwelling on one?

It's very very unlikely,  that you'll ever get permission to build a house on woodland ( it has been done though), but , Buying woodland isn't about building a house on it.

You may get permission to , build a barn , build a tool store , build a shelter,   build a composting toilet , and maybe even a log cabin. 

It's not actually permission,  it's just permitted development regs.

We have an old caravan on our woodland,  that I would guess has been there since the 1980s . We gave it a refurb , inside and out , put in a solar panel and battery , and it's great ?

1 hour ago, stop.end said:

They aren't somewhere you'd buy to permanently live, but you can have plenty of time there, plenty people have got nice cabins etc 

7 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

They aren't somewhere you'd buy to permanently live, but you can have plenty of time there, plenty people have got nice cabins etc 

I did a knife making course at a guys woodland in Wales.  He'd built his own cabin , with logs from his woodland ( he even forged his own 16" nails). The cabin was probably 15'x15' , and was absolutely stunning inside.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, mel b said:

You certainly do some graft in your woodland ?.

That's a good point, and something for anyone to consider were they looking to buy woodland particularly a plantation of Sitka spruce, the tree density in here was such that it wasn't possible to walk through or even pitch a small tent, three and a half year I've been on with this plot, pretty much all of my spare time, weekends, holidays etc and it's been relentless, the Silver Birch, Spruce, and Goat Willow are regenerating rapidly, aswell as some native species

49 minutes ago, mel b said:

I did a knife making course at a guys woodland in Wales.  He'd built his own cabin , with logs from his woodland ( he even forged his own 16" nails). The cabin was probably 15'x15' , and was absolutely stunning inside.

I like anything like that, hopefully when this place reaches maintenance level, I can have a little cabin and get back to my leatherwork, and a bit of stick making 

6 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

I like anything like that, hopefully when this place reaches maintenance level, I can have a little cabin and get back to my leatherwork, and a bit of stick making 

Have you thought about a charcoal kiln

• Like 1
1 hour ago, low plains drifter said:

That's a good point, and something for anyone to consider were they looking to buy woodland particularly a plantation of Sitka spruce, the tree density in here was such that it wasn't possible to walk through or even pitch a small tent, three and a half year I've been on with this plot, pretty much all of my spare time, weekends, holidays etc and it's been relentless, the Silver Birch, Spruce, and Goat Willow are regenerating rapidly, aswell as some native species

Woodland can be really relaxing , but , it can also be another full time job . 

It looks like you're doing a cracking job at your place .

It's amazing how quickly Woodland regenerates . You blink and its changed.

My Mrs is the main stick maker and leather worker ( she pyrographs the sticks) . I just carve the odd bowl , and make a few chopping/serving boards , and forge a viking knife(badly) when I'm in the mood.

If you ever want a few ,  oak , rowan , Hazel,  Holly,  saplings . You're more than welcome to pop to my place and grab as many as you need ?.

• Like 2