Smart Motorways & Technology

Im sure theres other chaps like me on here thick as shit when it comes to technology.....but being in the market for a new motor i thought id share the info i gained from an interesting couple of hours in a car showroom yesterday......so a couple of salesmen are showing me around the car and im asking " whats this button do "....." whats this for " etc ...... theres a panel down below the steering wheel that im told is for a future add on to do with Smart Motorways and how over the coming years control centres monitoring the road networks will be actually taking over the speed of your car !!!........the way they are now using cctv and vehicle detection stuff to open and close lanes,adjust speed limits etc well this is apparently just the first phase on the way to full radar technology to enforce mandatory speeds and eventually force all vehicles on Smart Motorways to travel at the same speed which will supposedly lead to quicker journeys,less accidents,healthier environment and a shitload of other stuff.....i came out with my head spinning i mean is it me or is all this a bit overkill and too futuristic. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A freedom of information request by BBC Panarama has revelled 38 deaths attributed to smart motorways in the last five years , one section , just outside London has seen a twenty fold increase in near

Ford Cortina mk 4 ?

Posted Images

I’m just glad you started this topic, saved me £35 !

I looked at the title and then thought “shit, I forgot to pay the Dartford tunnel charge yesterday !” .......so thanks for that squire !

I’ve said before that I’ve read an article online about electronic cars that will basically be like a full gps for where you are under the auspices of “in case of emergency “ 

and the days of sliding a few payments on your chuckied up motor will just end up with you being locked out of it. 

Terrifying 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’ve said before that I’ve read an article online about electronic cars that will basically be like a full gps for where you are under the auspices of “in case of emergency “ 

and the days of sliding a few payments on your chuckied up motor will just end up with you being locked out of it. 

Terrifying 

Renualt disabled a pregnant women’s electric car in Belfast remotely last year mate over a mix up in payments.......just switched it off from a satellite and left her stranded ! 

see apparently on some of these electric cars it can be that you own the car but the maker owns the battery or something and the previous owner had stopped paying the rental on the battery (obviously).......this woman had bought it off a second hand dealer totally unaware of this info about who owns what and they just switched it off mate! 

• Sad 1

The days of Haynes manuals and ole boys fiddling about under the bonnet are soon going to be a thing of memory.  I / we bought the Mrs a new Honda two years ago and the bonnet has only been open on its services.  I did open it once and there were cobwebs all over the place. You press the button and drive you press the button and stop. Thats it.  If it were to have any problems up to about three years they sort it. Five years on some and I think that its up to about 12 years on structural corrosion.  It was Father in laws weekend get out to stand out with the neighbours gawping under their bonnets at some imaginary thingy  that might need tweeking. None of the ole boys knew a spanner from a screwdriver ????. after a while the ole boys would congregate around a motor having a chat about hounds and the wind ect.... until one of them noticed that the women were all scowling at them from the nets ????. All of the ole boys would then scuttle back to their own motors to carry out imaginary mechanical repairs.  Sport and entertainment for all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These smart motorways are that good they have decided to stop building them , there is obviously a problem with safety with both types , the ones where the hard shoulder is used as a running lane in busy times is confusing people and two or three deaths have occurred when people had a slight accident , got out of the cars and where hit by other vehicles , the other type seem  just as dangerous were there are refuges you can pull into providing your car hasn’t broke down between them ..seems like the old job of over complicating something trying to save money ..

• Like 1
13 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Im sure theres other chaps like me on here thick as shit when it comes to technology.....but being in the market for a new motor i thought id share the info i gained from an interesting couple of hours in a car showroom yesterday......so a couple of salesmen are showing me around the car and im asking " whats this button do "....." whats this for " etc ...... theres a panel down below the steering wheel that im told is for a future add on to do with Smart Motorways and how over the coming years control centres monitoring the road networks will be actually taking over the speed of your car !!!........the way they are now using cctv and vehicle detection stuff to open and close lanes,adjust speed limits etc well this is apparently just the first phase on the way to full radar technology to enforce mandatory speeds and eventually force all vehicles on Smart Motorways to travel at the same speed which will supposedly lead to quicker journeys,less accidents,healthier environment and a shitload of other stuff.....i came out with my head spinning i mean is it me or is all this a bit overkill and too futuristic. 

Have a look into the telematics on new cars they can be switched on by the authority’s without your knowledge and track your every move bit scary really but they tell you it’s for your own good so should be alright ?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, sussex said:

These smart motorways are that good they have decided to stop building them , there is obviously a problem with safety with both types , the ones where the hard shoulder is used as a running lane in busy times is confusing people and two or three deaths have occurred when people had a slight accident , got out of the cars and where hit by other vehicles , the other type seem  just as dangerous were there are refuges you can pull into providing your car hasn’t broke down between them ..seems like the old job of over complicating something trying to save money ..

They,re building loads more.....they chap said there will be an additional 300 miles of them by 2025.....nobody should be getting out of a car unless in the refuge areas thats part of the technology MIDAS something or other that detects a stationary vehicle and immediately shuts off the lane its in.... i said that about breaking down and as the chap said....how many times does a car literally just stop,hardly ever.....you would have to be pretty unlucky not to be able to roll into a refuge area...which according to him are going to be every 1.5 miles.

They already have stats for Smart motorways compared to normal ones and they look fantastic on paper,less congestion,less accidents,better for the environment etc.....but what does get me is the way its all been cleverly sneaked in to brush the complete overpopulation of the country under the carpet !

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Greyman said:

Have a look into the telematics on new cars they can be switched on by the authority’s without your knowledge and track your every move bit scary really but they tell you it’s for your own good so should be alright ?

Thats it....some of the shit they was talking about had my head spinning.....Adaptive Cruise Control,Vehicle to Vehicle Communication,Energy Saving Body Panels,Night Vision !!!....its just too much.

8 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

The one with the walnut dash and door trims....lovely motors they were.....well seemed like it at the time anyway ?

Don't forget the vinyl roof. Class 1970's style!  ?