On the rocks

57 minutes ago, Steak knife said:

Ignore the negative comments Fair play to the lads involved they stuck it out to the end to get the terrier back and done everything they had in there power to rescue the terrier risking there own lives in the process. They got the terrier back after 3 days that in itself is a result  

I can honestly say that I wouldn't put a terrier of my own in a place like that. I will drop them in any diggable earth but that would be a no no.the men and the dogs that work these places have to be commended and I know they probably have worked them a lifetime and it comes 2nd nature to them but they have to be respected. 

• Like 9

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some can go deep ABC this was 19m down

?

Had day out found new rock pile on place work a bit dogs was keen tryed my bitch she no rock dog , mates old bitch had look been about but not in , moved on had nice 4 foot dig to old bitch not often

Posted Images

Just now, fat man said:

I can honestly say that I wouldn't put a terrier of my own in a place like that. I will drop them in any diggable earth but that would be a no no.the men and the dogs that work these places have to be commended and I know they probably have worked them a lifetime and it comes 2nd nature to them but they have to be respected. 

Ps. Have you men that work rocks ever come in contact with a different animal and would the terrier still stay, by accident I mean before the ban.

3 hours ago, stop.end said:

So the whole point of that was what... 

The bitch was put let in to bolt a fox. How many terriers will have gone to ground to bolt a fox today. Unfortunately the bitch got stuck luckily there’s something call the fell and moorland working terrier club. They paid the hire on the machine an some decent lads turned up to lend a hand to RESCUE a stuck terrier. Most dogs that are dug to today will have been bred out of dogs that was used in places like that and unfortunately sometimes get stuck. That’s why all them years ago certain men started the club. Are you saying he should of just left the bitch and not dug it 

• Like 13
2 hours ago, stop.end said:

Aye so stuck for 3 days way a digger for fk all in a place like that and im the clown...  lol.

If you didn’t work rocks round us you’d struggled to do a terrier justice. I was out with a bloke other day his son comes on here a lot. An old bitch of his worked well into its teens on the rocks 4 days a week in the season and at least 1 pile a day and never had a night out. Can’t remember the exact numbers he said but 1 season it had been to 50 odd with him and 40 odd with his son. Think you’d struggle round us just doing earths in an ideal world we’d live in a perfect part of the country working our perfect dogs in perfect earths

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, fat man said:

To be honest I only have 1 terrier here I’d risk in rocks and I’d probably pick my places a bit with her but the others will never even get walked near them 

• Like 1

Ps. Have you men that work rocks ever come in contact with a different animal and would the terrier still stay, by accident I mean before the ban.

Most lads try to find terriers that don’t stay. And the lads that have them that will stay but still work rock will have to know ther places just because a lurcher or hound marks a fox doesn’t mean there isn’t anything else home and that’s when it can get really messy. I’ve heard stories from a lot of years ago of old keepers and terrier men let 4 or 5 terriers into piles with them in and eventually they bolt but they could just be tales and doesn’t sound good to me 

• Like 1

Aye so stuck for 3 days way a digger for fk all in a place like that and im the clown...  lol.

The dog could have killed it further down and was trying to get back out but maybe couldn’t???? Who are we to judge stopend? It’s a different method that obviously has been successful and is still continuing to this day. Would you not fancy a day at a different game?

Seeing as you don't work rock piles bud only comment on what you no..as reading what you post makes you out to be a clown 

Edited by ziggy
Spelt check
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, justdigit said:

Most lads try to find terriers that don’t stay. And the lads that have them that will stay but still work rock will have to know ther places just because a lurcher or hound marks a fox doesn’t mean there isn’t anything else home and that’s when it can get really messy. I’ve heard stories from a lot of years ago of old keepers and terrier men let 4 or 5 terriers into piles with them in and eventually they bolt but they could just be tales and doesn’t sound good to me 

Just curious as would a different animal take refuge in the rocks, I have absolutely no experience of rocks at all so hence my curiosity. 5..6 piled in together sounds like a disaster, wouldn't like to be the dog up front. 

• Like 1

Just curious as would a different animal take refuge in the rocks, I have absolutely no experience of rocks at all so hence my curiosity. 5..6 piled in together sounds like a disaster, wouldn't like to be the dog up front. 

Ye they definitely use them. And it doesn’t sound good to me. I think it was comen for men to use more than 1 terrier in rocks years ago it’s always sounded like a disaster waiting to happen 

2 hours ago, justdigit said:

That's were knowing ground you hunt and  knowing the signs of what other animals may be about as sometimes having a good look at a spot before you turn in might just save any hassle...

• Like 2

I know what your saying Ziggy but,if a place is all rocks with no soil about I assume it would be hard at times to distinguish whether an other animal is in or not, eg,no kick out, shit pits,no fresh digging for earth worms and so on  the entrance might be tight in the rock so naturally there would be traces of hair but otherwise difficult at times I'd imagine, anyway good luck to the lads that work them,I'll stick to me digging. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, fat man said:

I know what your saying Ziggy but,if a place is all rocks with no soil about I assume it would be hard at times to distinguish whether an other animal is in or not, eg,no kick out, shit pits,no fresh digging for earth worms and so on  the entrance might be tight in the rock so naturally there would be traces of hair but otherwise difficult at times I'd imagine, anyway good luck to the lads that work them,I'll stick to me digging. 

It's just the same... you will see grubs if ther about and the piles don't look the same when ther in them... you no when ther about as things are different.. 

• Like 1