Sign in to follow this  
Keaner

Barking at nothing?

2 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Whatever about a pup of 12 months or so, but bringing pups six or seven months old is silly imo.

Sorry mate yes you’re right, by a pup I mean 12 months onwards, not any younger than that.

• Like 1

just my view i cant see any harm in taking a young dog 10 months on onto a dig just to be around your digging partners the gear and a trip out in the motor everyone does things differently so i aint gonna argue the toss just crack on with whatever suits you , 

• Like 5

But as yous all know every pup is different,some are more forward than others and are well fit for it younger.the sooner you can get them out in the field the better is my thinking anyway.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2019 at 21:23, foxdropper said:

Never understood the need to double check a dog at a hole .That well bred pup knows more about the game than you or I ever will and just needs time to shine .

I’ve known men like yourself get very annoyed when someone has mentioned running another terrier over an Earth when their terrier has said nothing at home, I’ve also seen said men through a proper hissy fit when the second terrier proved the first one wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Plenty for a pup to do without it meeting anything below ground ,on the right ground that is I guess .
Like  it’s been said ,it’s hard to gauge what people do without being there .

Personally I want my youngster calm and relaxed on its first time to ground not wound up watching ,hearing another work .

I want to be concentrating on the youngster and enjoying the moment as much as the youngster is ,firsts are just that and can’t be repeated .

Every single  decent line I know of will self enter ,no encouragement needed but still I see the hole enders  and doublers doing their best to f**k up years of breeding .

If you are a fan of taking a youngster to a dig with others then why not try a change and get out with pup only ,much more rewarding and IMO makes for a better dog but only my opinion before anyway gets all pre menstral .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dogmandont said:

I’ve known men like yourself get very annoyed when someone has mentioned running another terrier over an Earth when their terrier has said nothing at home, I’ve also seen said men through a proper hissy fit when the second terrier proved the first one wrong. 

Lol your getting me wrong mate .Ive no problem with anyone trying another terrier if mine said no ,crack on and I’ll help to dig your dog out lol.What I’m saying is why take an adult dog with a pup to a dig  at all when starting the pup .Id rather come home without a dig or use another elsewhere than judge a pup on its first few outings .

Im very quiet on a dig mate ,preferring to listen rather than talk ,get on rather than talk shite but you don’t know me so wouldn’t know that .More learned from staying quiet from both man and dog .

One thing I’m not going to do 2020 is judge anyone on here by what they write (within reason)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, foxdropper said:

Lol your getting me wrong mate .Ive no problem with anyone trying another terrier if mine said no ,crack on and I’ll help to dig your dog out lol.What I’m saying is why take an adult dog with a pup to a dig  at all when starting the pup .Id rather come home without a dig or use another elsewhere than judge a pup on its first few outings .

Im very quiet on a dig mate ,preferring to listen rather than talk ,get on rather than talk shite but you don’t know me so wouldn’t know that .More learned from staying quiet from both man and dog .

One thing I’m not going to do 2020 is judge anyone on here by what they write (within reason)

I was getting you wrong and totally agree with your first paragraph. 👍

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I was getting you wrong and totally agree with your first paragraph. 👍

Thought you were mate ,we ain’t so different .

• Like 1

never had one wound up watching /  hearing others working we liked em around digs but when entered its on there own in a nice quiet way , most of our digs used to be walks out checking a few earths always found it nice to have a young dog about be each to ones own just that suited us just the same as having them in carry boxes , driving out in the motor walking on couples all part of the learning ... out the game now so its dont really matter anymore . i gave the advice the op asked for in an earlier post so i`m done with this thread ..

Edited by sid g

Think your brushing the wound up bit mate but JMO .Never seen another dog at a dig that wasn’t wound up a little bit tbh but we may be talking different animals .Shame your out the game mate ,you seem one of the lads that talks sense .

I also believe no harm is done having a pup chained up around a dig, in the box, around the other dogs and gear,  not come to any harm for me personally, and like said before beats being behind bars all day. Horses for courses and different things work for different people, wouldn’t leave an Earth a pup walked out without trying an older dog, too curious but that’s just me😂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

Think your brushing the wound up bit mate but JMO .Never seen another dog at a dig that wasn’t wound up a little bit tbh but we may be talking different animals .Shame your out the game mate ,you seem one of the lads that talks sense .

done my time mate first time this year not had a terrier about me for 49 year i had my first when i was 12 , i would`nt do one justice nowadays so i took a lurcher on so i walk a lot of miles  and run a few rabbits for fun my digging partner sold up and moved to the coast so the time was right , mrs is happy i get to spend more time with my grandson and i`ve took up fishing so its all good ..

Edited by sid g
  • Like 7

Horses for courses and all that as far as I'm concerned it never did my now digging dogs any harm. Has anyone done such a thing and it was a disadvantage to the pup. We could go around in circles that's for sure my opinion is right and your wrong bla bla bla but maybe some have had good reason to not let a pup tag along ? 

Being blunt mate and blowing smoke up my arse in huge clouds ,the dogs  I’m used to are rather full on and best kept calm by any means possible .Taking more than one to a dig would be unthinkable and would ruin the ambience .

10 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Being blunt mate and blowing smoke up my arse in huge clouds ,the dogs  I’m used to are rather full on and best kept calm by any means possible .Taking more than one to a dig would be unthinkable and would ruin the ambience .

Fair pint mine bark and squeal while tied up sometimes and can be a little bit of a pain but where I dig noise don't matter with the permission I'm on and I don't need to listen to anything below as they don't often tend to make noise below. I have had the odd argument with the friend on this matter. The noiser pups can be disadvantage to our relationship at times but no disadvantage to him or herself if ya get me anyway F.D each to their own on this matter I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1