Sign in to follow this  
Keaner

Barking at nothing?

16 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Taking a dog out with the intension or entering it, usually some where you know am when you have a god idea the youngster is ready, as opposed to a youngster just slipping to ground one day whilst out on a walk or summat 😁👍

or a way of covering your ass when you entered  a young dog to soon  ..:whistling:

Edited by sid g
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Dugum said:

I ain’t the smartest man here what is self entering how is it different from not self entering?

Ha ha you have a point but what i mean by it is she needed no incouragement at al she just walked in 1 day to a burrow i knew there was a fox in and worked him ontill dug.

• Like 1

Self entering is the mark of well bred stock ,any encouraging or words not needed .A good stockman knows when to let a dog self enter ,not overmatch it .Entering of any sort that dosnt  include quietly walking to a spot and letting the youngster find its own hole and slip in is the mark of a messer IMO

• Like 4

You definitely don’t know if something is at home or not unless you have a 100% dog, yes you might be right most of the time like myself but the old dog can surprise you and tell you different, unless your out with an experienced dog you can’t accuse the pup of doing anything wrong. If the dog is going to ground with nothing at home it might have been over encouraged, I wouldn’t let mine off unless they give a strong mark on the lead. I’d leave it off until you can ask someone out with you who has an older dog.

Never understood the need to double check a dog at a hole .That well bred pup knows more about the game than you or I ever will and just needs time to shine .

• Like 1

I've just had one self enter to fox at 7 months have just dug the spot with an older bitch and the bitch not going back after I thought I'd let the pup run the earth thinking it was empty but to my surprise the pup found and was dug to with his foe I was very fortunate that the pup took very little damage and the depth was around 2 and a half feet

1 hour ago, EDDIE B said:

Why would anyone be bringing a young pup to a dig in the first place

What harm can it do bringing a pup and tying him up letting him see what's going on each to there own but it's better than them looking at 4 walls at home imo they will learn nothing there

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, howdeeposxxt said:

What harm can it do bringing a pup and tying him up letting him see what's going on each to there own but it's better than them looking at 4 walls at home imo they will learn nothing there

My lads get plenty in the kennels I send them a snap of every dig we get and they keep themselves occupied on the treadmills swinging out of Fox's tails couple pipes they can run aswell couple stuffed animals they can fight with aswell kind of there own little gym they have here.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Got to agree, think we’ve all had this conversation on here before and had mixed opinions.
The way I see it, if you’re out for a day digging and there’s space, chaining a youngster up is better than it sat looking at 4 walls all day.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

20 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Got to agree, think we’ve all had this conversation on here before and had mixed opinions.
The way I see it, if you’re out for a day digging and there’s space, chaining a youngster up is better than it sat looking at 4 walls all day.

Whatever about a pup of 12 months or so, but bringing pups six or seven months old is silly imo.

• Thanks 1