Sign in to follow this  
Keaner

Barking at nothing?

Anyone on here ever entered a new terrier to ground and found it baying at nothing while going back and forth from a entrance? 

There was the usual musty fox smell above ground. Didn't have a experience dog to prove of anything was there or not 

4 minutes ago, Keaner said:

There was the usual musty fox smell above ground. Didn't have a experience dog to prove of anything was there or not 

Well it’s all guess work then, just keep trying 

Early days but don't sound to promising bad trait to have if he keeps that up. If something was at home he may just need more time not knowing what to do to find him but if it was vacant a bad trait imo barking at nothing.

Edited by howdeeposxxt

did you encourage the dog ? might just be an excited response leave him a few days and try the same place again on his own in a nice quiet manner , might not be ready , 

Edited by sid g
  • Like 2

Aye as said the last thing you should be doing is encouraging it , it will just get worse just drop him and wait watching to see what he does 

4 hours ago, Keaner said:

Anyone on here ever entered a new terrier to ground and found it baying at nothing while going back and forth from a entrance? 

How old is it, how many times has it been out

She is a young bitch. Done it on two occasions now. Havnt actually dig to her yet. Was thinking after today maybe leave her a few weeks and put her in earth I know has definitely something in or leave her till next season now to fully mature? 

I had a bitch done it in her 1st season.she self entered at 9mnths.5 times she done it on me that year,and lads with me told me to get rid but i could see she had something and gave her the chance to straighting herself out.she has done so and is a top class bitch in her 4th season

1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

From what I’ve seen in the past, a dog that bays at nothing, either has been over encouraged into empty holes or is shit scared of it’s own shadow.

Thanks for a straight answer rabbit hunter

28 minutes ago, pjmc said:

I had a bitch done it in her 1st season.she self entered at 9mnths.5 times she done it on me that year,and lads with me told me to get rid but i could see she had something and gave her the chance to straighting herself out.she has done so and is a top class bitch in her 4th season

Same things as my bitch by sounds of it. She self entered around that age but I kept her back till she got bit older. Hopefully she'll come good in the end 

14 minutes ago, Dugum said:

I ain’t the smartest man here what is self entering how is it different from not self entering?

Taking a dog out with the intension or entering it, usually some where you know am when you have a god idea the youngster is ready, as opposed to a youngster just slipping to ground one day whilst out on a walk or summat 😁👍

• Like 1