Before they built on it

Something came into work today that briefly dropped me out. The Nissan plant in Sunderland. I ran hares and tried to catch woodcock on the land that Nissan now stands. Ran the hares with mongrels so did not catch many and was not trying to shoot the woodcock, relying on my mongrels so never caught any. And of course did not strictly speaking have permission. But for some reason the dogs found woodcock scent irresistible. But that is a testament to the quality of that land as it was then. Rough boggy pasture. If the land holds hares and woodcock then it is clean and healthy.  

Anyway, anyone else hunted places that are now gone forever ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can particularly relate to the last few posts regarding pit yards and railway embankments. These pics were taken earlier this year after a little snow fall. Regularly hunted this place , line went f

Somewhat ironically the house that I live in is almost on the exact spot where I first seen a rabbit hunted. Within about a 200m radius. I would love to be able to say that I built a house is some rur

I can't complain as it keeps me in work, people need somewhere to live ?... Around my way they seem to build on old factory ground and on what I would call flood plains..... I wouldn't personally buy

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, darbo said:

Plenty a recent one a permission i had for over 20 years has had a big amazon depot built on it and other industrial units.

300 houses on the ground just up the road from me, always a last chance of a bunny on the way back in from lamping local.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i a few one place i spent thousands of hours are local dockland that went to rack and ruin in the 70s 80s and early 90s is now all built up took everything on there from rat to deer but theres housing estates flying up all over another was my local golf course theres building starting on there shortly 

• Thanks 1

I can't complain as it keeps me in work, people need somewhere to live ?... Around my way they seem to build on old factory ground and on what I would call flood plains..... I wouldn't personally buy a new build on these big new housing sites.... There's no community.... No f****r bothers talking to the neighbours it's unreal ?and you pay big bucks for your house and got to put up with the social housing lot, that are living there for pennys ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, darbo said:

Plenty a recent one a permission i had for over 20 years has had a big amazon depot built on it and other industrial units.

Same here a big amazon depot and other units. Doncaster area

Used to be my regular local always guaranteed a few runs on hare, roe and occasional Charlie.  

Miss the land it's a mess now 

• Like 1

Had a lovely bit of ground,next to a main rd with an industrial estate down one side and farmland the others.fox city it was,took loads.lamped it the last night before the housing company moved in.now got a school,aldi,toby carvery on it.sad times

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

Something came into work today that briefly dropped me out. The Nissan plant in Sunderland. I ran hares and tried to catch woodcock on the land that Nissan now stands. Ran the hares with mongrels so did not catch many and was not trying to shoot the woodcock, relying on my mongrels so never caught any. And of course did not strictly speaking have permission. But for some reason the dogs found woodcock scent irresistible. But that is a testament to the quality of that land as it was then. Rough boggy pasture. If the land holds hares and woodcock then it is clean and healthy.  

Apparently its heaving in the Nissan grounds with Hares and plenty Roe about.

1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

I work there mate, there's hares running about in the car parks, and sitting feeding on the grass verges

don't know the farmland around there, but it looks like it must have been a canny place with a few copses etc, they're doing some building on now, I hear it's going to be over 1000 houses

I watch the crows early morning they're like a murmuration of starlings massive flock of them, and nice view of penshaw monument, there used to be a coursing club there, the long inclined fields must have been hell for a greyhound

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, MickC said:

Apparently its heaving in the Nissan grounds with Hares and plenty Roe about.

Hares always seem content living in and around industrial estates, and airports, get some good sized populations, well tended grass for constant grazing, and a bit of plantation to lie up in