jcm

Had my eyes opened.

16 hours ago, jcm said:

I have always thought that my little terrier has worked well for me and given me many a good days hunting. 

20180401_140729.jpg.0cecad4957e1702f0353b39dd51a2814.jpg

Then iv started running him with a couple teckle and teckle xs. 

Although in tight cover he does extreamly well, he hunts a little to close as you would expect from a terrier. 

Hunted a wood at the weekend the little hounds were hunting well nice and deep into this wood and the terrier was probably only hunting about 200 yards into the wood and along it whilst these little teckles were deeper in and screaming towards us.

IMG_20191215_112700_818.jpg.38c67557b37fd4807d399d9d58c16a82.jpg

The land we were on I have hunted loads of times and had a few bits off it but one walk out with the little hounds and they were constantly pushing gear out in front of us all day then away back hunting deep into this wood. 

Don't get me wrong as for the terrier he does very well but his nose is not on the same level as the hounds. 

It had me thinking and I think there is always a place for a terrier in a small bushing pack but are they as versatile a bushing dog as I had thought. Maybe not. 

For the last few years I have been toying with the idea to get some sort of bushing dog in to run with my terrier. I have seen a few hound xs work and they are very good at what they do, however I have yet to see a spaniel xs work so maybe once I have seen a spaniel based bushing dog work I could make a more informed decision on what would work for me and the ground I hunt. 

Food for thought as they say. 

Looks a useful wee dog jcm,one will be going over my bitch very soon..Z

• Like 1

Being cheeky here but anyone in northwest with a Teckel or bushing type. Like to tag on and see what would suit me. Got a 7 month old lurcher pup at the minute want to get him going and then maybe pick up a bushing pup in the summer. Only ever had mongrelly terriers before for bushing. 

7 hours ago, stevemac said:

I bet if he hunts often enough with the butchers he will improve monkey see monkey do really does work with dogs.

I'm not saying my terrier isnt a good bushing dog because he is but like any terrier  just not as good as these purpose bred types 

I use a spaniel terrier mate. He’s a great busher and loves ferreting. He don’t range that far though. Handy sometimes but when I’m in the hills I could definitely do with something that ranges out a bit. If I had a choice then I would go beagle x spaniel terrier type. Having said that I go on the hills with a lad who has 2 beddy whippets. They leave no stone unturned and cover some ground. They go in all sorts of cover. They opened my eyes. Get a young dog stock broke and then out with dogs that hunt the way you want. Most will pick it up. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisbullx said:

1C893690-593A-49E9-9E9B-01174392666B.jpeg.f8eefc211326025aa1a9fd6ff54a7dd6.jpeg33ADD54F-AF00-49FC-B6D9-FE823E922AFF.jpeg.9354c71846d6e319fd4fee161aeb223c.jpeg2 beaglecocker bitches I’ve had the pleasure to own atb cbx 

Nice them pal 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gaza said:

Being cheeky here but anyone in northwest with a Teckel or bushing type. Like to tag on and see what would suit me. Got a 7 month old lurcher pup at the minute want to get him going and then maybe pick up a bushing pup in the summer. Only ever had mongrelly terriers before for bushing. 

Where abouts are you mate ? Just tried to PM u and it said u can't receive messages 

11 hours ago, gaza said:

I’ll clear my inbox now mate nice one. In Warrington-Cheshire. 

Plenty knocking about by the big chimneys 😉 

I bet you could have a bloody epic time with a couple of those things wedded to muntjac!

Might even be legal if they bail it up for the rifle.

15 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I bet you could have a bloody epic time with a couple of those things wedded to muntjac!

Might even be legal if they bail it up for the rifle.

Yeah that be good fun, be a good 4 hour trip to find munty for us tho 

8 hours ago, jcm said:

Yeah that be good fun, be a good 4 hour trip to find munty for us tho 

Obviously.. I'm not going to ask where yas based jcm!!😂

I thought muntys where pretty much allover the shant these days just about!!

Screenshot_2019-12-22-20-06-55-1.png.edbd7788a3f06a1eff1f28483880a863.png

What i do find strange is.. the absence of red deer in snowdonia.

I consider north Wales to be very.. and i really mean "Very similar"  ... country to that of the Lake district!!

Loads of Reds in the Lakes though... strange...

Wales was stripped for farming and mining, I don't think there's anywhere they would have the chance to be established before they were hunted off the hills again. 

• Like 1