Worst start possible

So after basically rescuing my pup in the summer 2018 and putting lots of care into him thereafter by the time the season was under way he was looking really good and showing some promise on light workload . I had been really looking forward to this season all summer as he was getting fitter and fitter and showing real prey drive .

So we get to September , have a few light evenings out gradually building him up and he knocks his foot so out for a couple of weeks , then kennel cough arrives ... ffs , so September is written off completely .

Into October and his foot is good the cough has gone and he is keen to go , looking the best he has ever looked . So start again , odd evening out , a few rabbits then home , nothing to strenuous again just building him steadily . 

Then on to last night , got him from his kennel and he was bouncing around as usual completely ready to go . So off we went to my neighbours farm , on foot as the ground backs right onto mine . My 13 year old son came with us as he is real keen on the dogs and has just got a nice pup to bring on himself for next season . What a perfect night , dark , windy odd light spot of rain but nothing really . First few fields in and a couple of rabbits down all fairly routine , by 10 pm we finished the last field , the dog had about 10 runs and we had 6 in the bag so headed home fairly pleased . We were now maybe a mile from home and just strolling along dog trotting beside us on his slip , get into my lane to my farm and let him off the slip to walk on his own . Shone the lamp in one of my fields and there was a rabbit fairly close so the dog popped through the gate then nothing !!! not running just staring in to space , i thought he couldn't of seen it and turned off the lamp and headed off , to which the dog is normally back and by my side or real close by instantly .... nothing , no sign of him , so called  , still nothing , walked back to the gateway and he had barely moved , just stood staring at the ground , I called him over and he wagged his tail and turned slowly towards me but didn't really lift his head up . He then came towards me moving stiffly and shaking , it was as if he was having a fit and had gone semi blind . I got him out the field and started to carry him for home but he was to heavy so had to leave my lad with him while I ran to get the truck from my yard . By the time i got back to them the dog had gone really rigid and was shaking quite violently . Scooped him up and back to the yard to drop my son home and phone the vets . He had now gone fairly quiet just quivering , vet said bring him in  to them . He then had a massive seizure throwing himself around and making a hell of a noise , this lasted 30 seconds or so then he lay quiet again just starring and quivering .

So he is still in the vets and I am waiting to hear from them , he has had glucose and meds and been on a drip all night but they said at 8 this morning that its not looking very promising .

All in all a pretty shit start  to the season really 

Edited by runner neil
  • Sad 3

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't blame yourself pal... You did your best by him in the short time you had him, that's something to be proud of?

I thought this would be the inevitable result when I read your first post. Whatever the problem was it was something there was no way out of. You acted responsibly, did your best and now all you can d

Not the result I wanted , had to have him put to sleep  Thanks for all the support its appreciated

Not good mate, hopefully the dog makes it through for you. Sounds like a hyperglycaemia fit that’s caused another problem. I’ve seen a lot of dogs over the years acting like yours and it’s not nice, luckily I have never been the owner of one that’s fitted.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed for you mate?he comes good ?seen similar happen a few times over the years..... My old bitch had it happen a few times, always came good thank f**k..... Not nice when you got a 5/6 mile walk back to the motor?handy to have a bottle of lucazade or glucose sachets with you when out lamping or all day with the dogs?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Fingers crossed for you mate?he comes good ?seen similar happen a few times over the years..... My old bitch had it happen a few times, always came good thank f**k..... Not nice when you got a 5/6 mile walk back to the motor?handy to have a bottle of lucazade or glucose sachets with you when out lamping or all day with the dogs?

Thanks mate , I will carry some glucose from now on . Never had it happen before or even heard of it so guess I have to learn from my mistakes. 

4 minutes ago, runner neil said:

Thanks mate , I will carry some glucose from now on . Never had it happen before or even heard of it so guess I have to learn from my mistakes. 

As the vet advised you that the fastest way other than a drip to get it into the dogs system is to rub it on the gums mate, had a dog do it years ago when out with a mate and the vet at first tried to talk me out of bringing it in she advised jam honey or anything real sweet rubbed onto the gums. Unfortunately the dog was past that and needed to see the vet. Vet popped a drip into the dog and within 10 minutes it was stood up and able to eat some tinned food. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, runner neil said:

So after basically rescuing my pup in the summer 2018 and putting lots of care into him thereafter by the time the season was under way he was looking really good and showing some promise on light workload . I had been really looking forward to this season all summer as he was getting fitter and fitter and showing real prey drive .

So we get to September , have a few light evenings out gradually building him up and he knocks his foot so out for a couple of weeks , then kennel cough arrives ... ffs , so September is written off completely .

Into October and his foot is good the cough has gone and he is keen to go , looking the best he has ever looked . So start again , odd evening out , a few rabbits then home , nothing to strenuous again just building him steadily . 

Then on to last night , got him from his kennel and he was bouncing around as usual completely ready to go . So off we went to my neighbours farm , on foot as the ground backs right onto mine . My 13 year old son came with us as he is real keen on the dogs and has just got a nice pup to bring on himself for next season . What a perfect night , dark , windy odd light spot of rain but nothing really . First few fields in and a couple of rabbits down all fairly routine , by 10 pm we finished the last field , the dog had about 10 runs and we had 6 in the bag so headed home fairly pleased . We were now maybe a mile from home and just strolling along dog trotting beside us on his slip , get into my lane to my farm and let him off the slip to walk on his own . Shone the lamp in one of my fields and there was a rabbit fairly close so the dog popped through the gate then nothing !!! not running just staring in to space , i thought he couldn't of seen it and turned off the lamp and headed off , to which the dog is normally back and by my side or real close by instantly .... nothing , no sign of him , so called  , still nothing , walked back to the gateway and he had barely moved , just stood staring at the ground , I called him over and he wagged his tail and turned slowly towards me but didn't really lift his head up . He then came towards me moving stiffly and shaking , it was as if he was having a fit and had gone semi blind . I got him out the field and started to carry him for home but he was to heavy so had to leave my lad with him while I ran to get the truck from my yard . By the time i got back to them the dog had gone really rigid and was shaking quite violently . Scooped him up and back to the yard to drop my son home and phone the vets . He had now gone fairly quiet just quivering , vet said bring him in  to them . He then had a massive seizure throwing himself around and making a hell of a noise , this lasted 30 seconds or so then he lay quiet again just starring and quivering .

So he is still in the vets and I am waiting to hear from them , he has had glucose and meds and been on a drip all night but they said at 8 this morning that its not looking very promising .

All in all a pretty shit start  to the season really 

Shit when things like that happen  I had a bad season about 2 seasons ago lost 2 dogs start of season then it just went tits up from there hopefully it picks up for you mate i had a collie x bitch when i was a nipper that used to fit horrible to watch it was 

19 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

As the vet advised you that the fastest way other than a drip to get it into the dogs system is to rub it on the gums mate, had a dog do it years ago when out with a mate and the vet at first tried to talk me out of bringing it in she advised jam honey or anything real sweet rubbed onto the gums. Unfortunately the dog was past that and needed to see the vet. Vet popped a drip into the dog and within 10 minutes it was stood up and able to eat some tinned food. 

I have read that this morning,  just wish I knew before . 

I have just spoken to the vets and he is still flat out although now responding to light sensitivity.  Blood tests have come back and he says there is a bit of a problem relating to kidney and liver function showing up although he did say that could be the result of the poor start he had before I took him on . Fingers crossed for some positive news when I speak to them again later . 

11 minutes ago, Penda said:

Shit when things like that happen  I had a bad season about 2 seasons ago lost 2 dogs start of season then it just went tits up from there hopefully it picks up for you mate i had a collie x bitch when i was a nipper that used to fit horrible to watch it was 

It's not the best , felt bad for my lad having to leave him with the dog while I got the truck . 

I have never lost a dog working or had anything like this so losing 2 must be horrendous for you.

34 minutes ago, runner neil said:

It's not the best , felt bad for my lad having to leave him with the dog while I got the truck . 

I have never lost a dog working or had anything like this so losing 2 must be horrendous for you.

It's all part and parcel of the game mate ive lost a few dogs over the years through 1 thing or another the truth is I've got a lot softer then I used to be even if a dog ain't what I want I'l end up keeping it ?

• Like 3

Hope it comes through ?. Unfortunately sometimes a bad start in life can leave its mark in the future. Lots of reasons why it might fit, over heating is a common cause which could also result in deranged liver and kidney results. 

• Like 3