versatillaty in dogs.

talking about dogs to the old boy next to me the other day.[in his eighties] old pigeon man,and he was telling me about his irish terrier/whippet he had years ago.how it would sod of and catch/ leave a rabbit on the doorstep.told me about the time it caught/killed a cat in his locall chippy.said that was embarassing..another old stockman  could send his collie back home and his mr's would send him back with his snap lashed to it.. cracking ratter aswell it was..anyone else any stories from yours,or way back..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Had a springer that could steal milk botles from neighbours' steps, overturn bins and eat everything from potato peelings to baco foil. His speciality was eating calf shit. Lived for the stuff.

Had a lab used to do the very same with the milk bottles. ??

I've had three ISDS  working sheepdogs that would work a beating line together under control (under control was a novelty on our shoots); flushing and retrieving, or retrieving from a pigeon hide plus walking up shooting. A GSD bitch that could and did pull a man down, and also worked a beating line and flushed and retrieved at walking up shooting (I never got crowded in the beater's van when I had her with me ? ). She also did a bit of cattle herding when I helped my neighbour out with his Limousins. The next one was a springer who as well as doing all the shooting stuff could herd sheep.

Dogs are far more versatile than some would believe.

• Like 5

Had a pitbull bitch that absolutely hated people in camouflage clothes,  she was previously owned by a lad in the army and fcuk knows how he had treated her to make here behave as she did but it was always handy when you came upon a foot patrol and you had a bit of smoke or a couple of pills in your pocket lol because they would of had to of shot her to get near me. Lol. 

• Haha 1

My father told me that his father had a lurcher way back in the 1920sand when he needed new boots he would go to the shop that had them on show outside.he would then try a pair on then go round the corner and send the dog back and he would retrieve them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thats me on the left ( bowl head ?) with our mongrel 'lurcher' Trixy. She had a habit, if there was anything to be caught (R,R,H,P,P,P- work that out?) Of sneeking off and fetching back her catch.

Then secretly stashing it, always in somewhere it would easily be found... My dads work boots, behind the milk bottles on the step, under the caravan step, a full washing basket and best of all, in my parents bed..! 

No one 'ever' seen her do it but, say when we were away in the caravan, the dead critters (mostly rabbits) would be found daily, sometimes twice daily.

She never wore a collar, was never lead trained and had freedom to come and go as she pleased. As kids we called her the 'living cushion' because she was always sleeping on the couch and never moved, no matter how rough we played...

Then as she was there, she was gone... And you could bet your life that you'd next see her back on the couch and me Mam would find a dead critter sometime soon....

Growing up, thats what i thought a Lurcher was and did.

We also had a Grew (whippet/greyhound) that ran and cought rabbits etc but a Lurcher propper, knew how to 'nab' em... ?

FB_IMG_1458244875103.jpg

great post boson my old man had one similar everything from rabbits to waterhens got left in the garden or were ever else the shed was a favourite we use to take her out at weekends down the docks or train lines with are made up pack from terrier and local mongrels she always caught something  when I think back to those days were you could walk through the street with your catch and pack and be proud as punch as young lads full of splinters and shit up to the eye balls  and no one said anything to today it's different shame really I knew a old lad who use to deliver cattle he had a old Russel who he use to chuck in the back of the wagon it would run along the backs of whatever was in there then start biting there legs to get them out 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Thats me on the left ( bowl head ?) with our mongrel 'lurcher' Trixy. She had a habit, if there was anything to be caught (R,R,H,P,P,P- work that out?) Of sneeking off and fetching back her catch.

Then secretly stashing it, always in somewhere it would easily be found... My dads work boots, behind the milk bottles on the step, under the caravan step, a full washing basket and best of all, in my parents bed..! 

No one 'ever' seen her do it but, say when we were away in the caravan, the dead critters (mostly rabbits) would be found daily, sometimes twice daily.

She never wore a collar, was never lead trained and had freedom to come and go as she pleased. As kids we called her the 'living cushion' because she was always sleeping on the couch and never moved, no matter how rough we played...

Then as she was there, she was gone... And you could bet your life that you'd next see her back on the couch and me Mam would find a dead critter sometime soon....

Growing up, thats what i thought a Lurcher was and did.

We also had a Grew (whippet/greyhound) that ran and cought rabbits etc but a Lurcher propper, knew how to 'nab' em... ?

FB_IMG_1458244875103.jpg

Rat rabbit hare pheasant pigeon ? 

Last one I don’t know wether to suggest pike or polecat ?

• Like 1

My dad told me about a Lab that lived out on the moors in Cornwall back in the early 50s in a very remote house. His owner was a slightly weird artist, but the dog was an incredible guard, though his main claim to fame was the fact that his owner sent him to fetch the paper from the newsagents every Sunday ... over 5 miles away along the main road. Of course, back then there was very little traffic along that coast road, but apparently the dog was well known for it. The owner also had a 'guard' raven, that sat on the roof and attacked anyone who approached the house!