Use the search bar at the top there's a few threads about this ......... conclusion is some say bull x some say collie x some say just worker x worker dosnt matter so really it's down to you 

• Like 3

Think its more down to what some want to see in an allrounder. I know it allways pops up but i dont think retrieving and gun work comes into an allrounder for me its gotta be the usual plus abit more.

• Like 5

I favour bedlington collie greyhound  mixes easy to train willing to please I think there a really adaptable x for a master of none tryer of all type without going in to dogs for Pacific jobs 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, poxon said:

I favour bedlington collie greyhound  mixes easy to train willing to please I think there a really adaptable x for a master of none tryer of all type without going in to dogs for Pacific jobs 

Prefer the atlantic myself ?

• Haha 4

A collie/grey X deerhound/grey was one of the best general purpose  lurchers I've owned, would turn it paw to most quarry, not the best at any particular aspect but did most to a reasonable degree.

• Like 4

I mainly just mooch now, have an old collie x Lab that's 14 years old. Awesome retriever in his day, wouldn't work to gun but was good with catty or air rifle. Would flush out quite well too. He's happy to potter around now . Looking to get something in a while to mooch around with and ratting. Any suggestions?

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Dan Fitzwilliam said:

I mainly just mooch now, have an old collie x Lab that's 14 years old. Awesome retriever in his day, wouldn't work to gun but was good with catty or air rifle. Would flush out quite well too. He's happy to potter around now . Looking to get something in a while to mooch around with and ratting. Any suggestions?

little whippet x. Will work cover catch a few rabbits, pick up the odd pheasant and hold its own ratting and squirrel bashing. 

• Like 2

I've realised over the years I've had lurchers probably not had them as long as some and I'm always learning but i think the word all rounder is used losely now I used to think an all rounder was a dog that did all game day and night pre but I think as I've got older I've realised it's much more then that and to actually find a average all rounder ain't as easy as some would have us believe. We all seek out different things in our dogs and no 2 dogs will ever be the same this all comes down to ground we work them on what type of dogs suite the hunting we do etc etc it's down to the time we put In some dogs can work all day some cant some dogs are better on the night than others I think we have to realise what sort of dog suites what we do and does it do the job or jobs how we want it too and putting to the side breed or size or type, you've got to look at breeding and are the parents and grandparents doing the same things that suite what you want 

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, Penda said:

I've realised over the years I've had lurchers probably not had them as long as some and I'm always learning but i think the word all rounder is used losely now I used to think an all rounder was a dog that did all game day and night pre but I think as I've got older I've realised it's much more then that and to actually find a average all rounder ain't as easy as some would have us believe. We all seek out different things in our dogs and no 2 dogs will ever be the same this all comes down to ground we work them on what type of dogs suite the hunting we do etc etc it's down to the time we put In some dogs can't work all day some cant some dogs are better on the night than others I think we have to realise what sort of dog suites what we do and does it do the job or jobs how we want it too and that putting to the side breed or size or type you've got to look and breeding and are the parents and grandparents doing the same things that suite what you want 

good post mate?as you get older,I think things change,the quarry and land changes and the sort of animal you find yourself keeping....was all about killing when I started  lol.....you mellow with age?

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

good post mate?as you get older,I think things change,the quarry and land changes and the sort of animal you find yourself keeping....was all about killing when I started  lol.....you mellow with age?

My old man had lurchers that would put dinner on the table and by that I don't mean 100s of bunnies a week I mean a couple every day he didn't do as much lamping as I do he was more out in the day ferret in his pocket people used to say to me your old man would walk up round with his dogs and he,d alday have rabbits in his jacket the dogs were always fit for purpose 

3 hours ago, Penda said:

I've realised over the years I've had lurchers probably not had them as long as some and I'm always learning but i think the word all rounder is used losely now I used to think an all rounder was a dog that did all game day and night pre but I think as I've got older I've realised it's much more then that and to actually find a average all rounder ain't as easy as some would have us believe. We all seek out different things in our dogs and no 2 dogs will ever be the same this all comes down to ground we work them on what type of dogs suite the hunting we do etc etc it's down to the time we put In some dogs can work all day some cant some dogs are better on the night than others I think we have to realise what sort of dog suites what we do and does it do the job or jobs how we want it too and putting to the side breed or size or type, you've got to look at breeding and are the parents and grandparents doing the same things that suite what you want 

Wise words