joey barton assaults barnsley manager

On 20/04/2019 at 22:17, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’ve always admired the mental toughness of  truly great players. 

True world class players shine when under duress or in massive games. Things why often very good , great players even like pirlo cannot possibly be considered as all time greats. 

Look at the stress Gerrard , ( a personal favourite , however I would argue he cannot be considered world class) will have been under throughout the later stages of his career , litterally carrying a club almost singlehanded on his shoulders with the expectation the fans to win the league with Father Time racking his body. 

A massive burden to carry . 

Similarly , look at the way xavi and iniesta react. Barca were often harried and hurried by more physically equipped and imposing players , yet they believed enough to still give receive , give receive, moving the ball around with composure despite being pressured. 

Regardless of tough sorts I’d probably be inclined to agree that skillful players should be protected from over zealous opponents by refs. 

There should be no place for malicious injury at any level of the game imho 

But can you combine both....can a referee be encouraged to promote a fast paced tough tackling game while still protecting skillful players its almost a 1 rule for one scenario.....Gerrard was one of the best English midfielders ive seen i thought his game had everything

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couldn't agree more. Barton is a fairy compared to the players you quoted and the likes of Tommy Smith  Nobby Stiles and  Norman Hunter. I have mixed feelings about Barton. He does tell it how it is a

Armed stand off with Raol Moat and Gazza turns up with a 4 pack and a fly rod..........?

Just been to watch local teams last game of the season . Lost 3-1 . But as embrassing as the top players are , in the depths of the local leagues theres still steel and grit . Tackles flying in everyw

Posted Images

2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

But can you combine both....can a referee be encouraged to promote a fast paced tough tackling game while still protecting skillful players its almost a 1 rule for one scenario.....Gerrard was one of the best English midfielders ive seen i thought his game had everything

Just my opinion but referees have been turned into stars in their own right and it’s completely f***ing ludicrous.

Referees at all levels watch too much telly.......somebody needs to remind them that the best refs are the refs you hardly notice.

Those boring f***ing egg chasers don’t help, so help me they even make YouTube videos about the refs.....like “Fred Bloggs best bits” and it’s all clips of him speaking into his silly f***ing head mic and telling off players with cauliflower ears !.......maybe because the games like watching paint dry ?....who knows?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

His game had everything agreed but as much as he’s one of my favourite ever midfielders , I don’t think he can really ever be spoken about in the same level as the true elite . 

Purely for the fact he won so little in comparison to his peers. 

Should winning things hinder a player from greatness though ?....Matt Le Tissier won f**k all but he,s still recognised as one of the best players our league has seen.....Gary Lineker another one,Harry Kane the same if he doesnt leave Spurs ?... Socrates won nothing for Brazil but on the world stage would still be one of the greats surely ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

This has been doing the rounds on social media , 

you have to choose two from 6 for your midfield . 

For me it was a very easy choice , xavi and iniesta , Scholes a close thi 

lampard Gerrard a tied 5th 

pirlo there for the crack ??

B5CC9E77-5F74-4237-87DB-3C6DA85F7F4D.png

Gerrard and Iniesta to go alongside my little Mark Noble  and Declan Rice?

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, WILF said:

Just my opinion but referees have been turned into stars in their own right and it’s completely f***ing ludicrous.

Referees at all levels watch too much telly.......somebody needs to remind them that the best refs are the refs you hardly notice.

Those boring f***ing egg chasers don’t help, so help me they even make YouTube videos about the refs.....like “Fred Bloggs best bits” and it’s all clips of him speaking into his silly f***ing head mic and telling off players with cauliflower ears !.......maybe because the games like watching paint dry ?....who knows?

I think what doesnt help them is every player , every manager , every coach/manager , every pundit constantly ridiculing their decisions and second guessing them. You do get the occasinal tart of a referre who plays to the crowd but i think the vast majority play on pins

And even tho im not a rugby fan the videos i see on  youtube of their refs are great . Maybe some footballers could take note of the respect shown to the ref

I think its almost getting to the stage where some of these top players attitude to the referee is " how dare you "......" dont you know who i am "......you dont see it much in lower league football yes you always have and always will get players abuse the referee but top players seem to think they have an entitlement to a free kick or penalty as part and parcel of being a big star.....apart from Raheem Sterling that is im just waiting for him to call a referee racist for not giving him a penalty !

Edited by gnasher16
  • Haha 3
On 24/04/2019 at 01:10, gnasher16 said:

Should winning things hinder a player from greatness though ?....Matt Le Tissier won f**k all but he,s still recognised as one of the best players our league has seen.....Gary Lineker another one,Harry Kane the same if he doesnt leave Spurs ?... Socrates won nothing for Brazil but on the world stage would still be one of the greats surely ?

Good points 

a can give you a case study , lubomir mjorvcik , a name few will have heard of. 

93 his transfer didn’t go through to Marseille , the then European cup holders and 97 he ended up at Celtic. 

6 years or so later I seen grown men weeping as he left the pitch at the end of his final game. 

You can say ah it’s only the jock league but when pavel nedved is getting nutmegged you know he’s half decent ?

a very very good player , great even , definitely not world class. 

You need to win things , have tangible trophies, play for good sides in order to be world class 

somwtimes being great , or at best very good isn’t good enough 

Not sure i agree with that mate i think theres plenty of players who have won virtually nothing with their clubs but were still recognised as greats/world class.

Beyond the Matthews final i dont think Stanley Matthews won anything but still won the Balon D'or as an individual....Gary Lineker the same.

As a good example would you not say Harry Kane is looked upon as world class in todays game ?

• Like 1

I wouldn't say winning something, but top players or world class players play for top clubs...as good as the likes of Le Tissier was staying at Southampton would never get the recognition as he is never competing for his place...

Linekar went to Barcelona, played for his country over 100 times, third top scorer for England won the golden boot in 86 plus a load of other goal scoring records I can't remember...lol

He may have only won a handful of trophies but he was certainly world class...

Anyway, back to the subject matter; before Barton (allegedly) assaulted the Barnsley manager they were in looking like losing the automatic promotion place to Sunderland whereas now they could end up as champions. They should erect a statue of Joey Barton and put it next to that one of Dickie Bird where nobody will see it. 

YOU REDS!! ?