Who do you admire?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I admire my old dad . He never had a famous line of terriers never wrote a book never grassed nobody never tolerated thieves . Although he did have a line of terriers. He always had a dog that wa

Country folks farmers and landowners that let lads work their dogs in peace and understand us because as the years go by they are becoming less and less. 

At the end of the day we're all just polishing turds, no one recreated the wheel,  if it wasn't in them, you couldn't fetch it out.  I admire all of the named terrier men, past and present,  most

Posted Images

23 hours ago, dillydog said:

There's a bit in Jocelyn Lucas's  "hunt and working terrier" that says (I forget which one) one of the old fell terrier breeders was either sending terriers down or working them there.  

Even in my lifetime the numbers of brock have gone through the roof, they may well have done a little travelling Glyn but we both know that the game wasn't there in numbers back then. On the other hand the number of fox was astronomical,  with one russell bitch I could get 70+ fox a season. 

Times have changed and not for the better all i know is when i started out these men were held in high regard , and if you scratch beneath the surface of  the patterdale all roads lead back to them its a reputation which would of soon fallen apart if the dogs where rubbish , they themselves would of used other peoples blood its getting the mix right  which is what they did the boom in the blacks was then taken on by the next generation of breeders most already mentioned  

in my life time i saw the same thing happen with Nick Stevens bred terriers during the 90's his terriers were the must have and the influence of his terriers has been massive over the last 3 decades   and even his didn't grow out of the ground they were bred and a lot of that blood would of lead back to the breeders of the terriers from the decade before and a lot tracked back to the Breay/Buck bloodline , so yes i admire what they  achieved by producing the root stock, and there will not be another British working terrier type/breed produced them days are gone forever 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

At the end of the day we're all just polishing turds, no one recreated the wheel,  if it wasn't in them, you couldn't fetch it out. 

I admire all of the named terrier men, past and present,  most didn't want the name, and all of them got into it for the sport not the fame.......fame is something that's earned, not freely given.

On a personal level it would have to be Nick, I don't speak to him and haven't for a long time but he's one of the best men I know with a terrier .

• Like 11

It would have to be Mr wade for me keen dog man and and a very intelligent man. And if it wasn't for the hard work from him and the rest of the NWTF have done none of us would be putting a dog in the ground. 

I have found one thing when you meet the so called big names.... there dogs and there keeping of dogs arnt much better than the rest of us. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

There's an old boy I know of , only been out with him a couple of times years ago , still at it he,a about 60 , bar none the most genuine yet stubborn terrier man I've ever met , digs on his own most weekends through the season (Friday ,sat,Sun )always respects his quarry (has a closed breeding /cubbing season ) out at first light back fills properly  ,and never heard him brag once , the drive he shows easily puts most to shame and he,s put a lot of tackle away and the man has'nt got one square inch of permission and never has ,I won't put his name on here as he would moan like f#ck  but there really are people that are what I think are The real deal , there are famous people with their own lines of workers that are flat out , fair play to them ,but to do this for 30_40 years on your own looking over your shoulder with no permission that's another story , and a lot of leg work mooching/checking earth s that doesn't really get a mention when talking digging dogs .

• Like 7

If you had of said he digs 3 days a week and every bit of it on permission that he has spent a lifetime getting so he doesn’t have to look over his shoulder I’d of agreed with you, any man can throw his leg over a fence and go where they like but only a few will actually put the leg work in and get the permission. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Rat face said:

It would have to be Mr wade for me keen dog man and and a very intelligent man. And if it wasn't for the hard work from him and the rest of the NWTF have done none of us would be putting a dog in the ground. 

I have found one thing when you meet the so called big names.... there dogs and there keeping of dogs arnt much better than the rest of us. 

Met  and worked dogs with a few of the big names and writers over the years and been disappointed when ive seen their dogs and their keeping of dogs. Definitely learned to only believe what i see with my own eyes

• Like 7
30 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

If you had of said he digs 3 days a week and every bit of it on permission that he has spent a lifetime getting so he doesn’t have to look over his shoulder I’d of agreed with you, any man can throw his leg over a fence and go where they like but only a few will actually put the leg work in and get the permission.

A life time gaining permission what a good read that would be best seller !! Knocking on a farm door isn't leg work , and I won't be bringing my son's up telling them about wich  terrier man had the most permission slips in his glovebox

9 minutes ago, singles said:

A life time gaining permission what a good read that would be best seller !! Knocking on a farm door isn't leg work , and I won't be bringing my son's up telling them about wich  terrier man had the most permission slips in his glovebox

I’m not going to get into it with you but terrierwork on permission or not is still just terrierwork. Every man throws their leg over the fence now and again but to make out it’s some kind of achievement or makes for a better terrierman is just foolish.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dogmandont said:

And any man can knock on a door to obtain permission !  I never wrote poaching/trespassing makes a better terrier man or that the chap I know of , was the best at it ,but you managed to crab him anyway that's foolish I'm 40 have a hard job with a big young family to keep and there are some Sunday mornings when it is easier to stay in bed and not sneaking around in the dark , ringing mates up to make sure there on route etc , maybe things in life are catching up with me or I've just lost some drive but one thing I know for sure is the stubborn old chap will probably be on his way back home from a dig while I'm contemplating ,should I have a lie in , that's why I admire him he,s still at it on his own permission or not at 60 ish

Edited by singles
Spelling
  • Like 5

I’m not pulling your mate down at all, as we’ve all got to jump a fence now and then. BUT if he’s constantly poached, looking over his shoulder and getting away quick as possible then IMO he’s never really enjoyed himself, never really tested the dogs and won’t know what he’s got as he never seen other people’s dogs to use as a barometer against his own. When I might have poached in my youth, it’s a case of get the dog in, get a mark ASAP, and get the dog out and away. On permission, it’s drop the dog in, have a cuppa and whatever, check for a mark etc etc, give the dog time and IMO makes for a better terrier.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, singles said:

And why man can knock on a door to obtain permission !  I never wrote poaching/trespassing makes a better terrier man or that the chap I know of , was the best at it ,but you managed to crab him anyway that's foolish I'm 40 have a hard job with a big young family to keep and there are some Sunday mornings when it is easier to stay in bed and not sneaking around in the dark , ringing mates up to make sure there on route etc , maybe things in life are catching up with me or I've just lost some drive but one thing I know for sure is the stubborn old chap will probably be on his way back home from a dig while I'm contemplating ,should I have a lie in , that's why I admire him he,s still at it on his own permission or not at 60 ish

I never once crabbed the man I just found it strange that you would of brought the permission thing into it like it was something special.

Edited by dogmandont
7 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I never once crabbed the man I just found it strange that you would of brought the permission thing into it like it was something special.

I don’t thing singles was saying it’s something special he was just being honest which I admire, the man in question has probably tried for permission when he was younger and maybe got sick of going cap in hand to keepers & land owners,because let’s be honest some who have plenty of permission haven’t got it through ability it’s through handing money &  gifts over & beating for nothing etc.i think it does take a special man to do 40 years watching over his shoulder I know I couldn’t do it because like singles said I also had a very physical job we’re I needed rest not up all weekend digging holes.

• Like 2