Just now, Black neck said:

If u go down that route go for a Pac 1 the power is easily set from a tickle to a wallop also has vibrate and beep on them 

You get a dummy collar in the set that you put on the dog for a while so it don't accosiate the collar with it I've used them on different dogs for recall and stock worked a treat 

Lovely cheers if can't stop him any other way will try one of them and it won't be tickle it will be wallop ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shock collar, full wack and zap..... Sorted

The venison bit seems relevant to me , had a little bitch back from a mate who used my old deer x grey to line his bitch . Had her from a pup 8 weeks , live on my own farm so she always around sheep ,

You are right it needs sorting asap ,don't walk him in fields with sheep that will run away, speak to one of your farmers and take him to sheep in shed preferably sheep that are used to dogs, it's no

7 hours ago, the lamping ferreter said:

Looking for some advice I've done nothing no different with my pup than I have with my previous dogs who wouldn't look twice at sheep my pups 6 and half months and since a pup same as I did with the others I've walked him through sheep to have him used to them his been fine up untill 2 weeks ago somethings changed asoon as he sees them his of behind them not in a vicious way just playing chasing them not attacking but I want to nip it in the bud before it turns vicious as most my ground is sheep I can't have a dog that's not stock broken as I say from 9 weeks old I've walked him amongst sheep but all of a sudden he likes to chase them 

The first stage of stock control is leashing a dog and walking it amongst stock,in no time at all,with nothing more than a raised voice and a gentle yank on the leash,the mutt will have learnt the first step in stock control.An awful lot of folk believe that they now own a stock controlled dog.The next step is to have the dog free amongst the sheep and being able to control the dog at all times.A flock of sheep gently milling about is no test of a dogs control,only when sheep/lambs are running past and away from the dog will you know how well stock broken the dog is and its then time to throw manners out of the window and be hard on a dog that pursues and gets a mouth full of wool.If you cannot stock train  or break a chaser,cull it.

21 minutes ago, morton said:

The first stage of stock control is leashing a dog and walking it amongst stock,in no time at all,with nothing more than a raised voice and a gentle yank on the leash,the mutt will have learnt the first step in stock control.An awful lot of folk believe that they now own a stock controlled dog.The next step is to have the dog free amongst the sheep and being able to control the dog at all times.A flock of sheep gently milling about is no test of a dogs control,only when sheep/lambs are running past and away from the dog will you know how well stock broken the dog is and its then time to throw manners out of the window and be hard on a dog that pursues and gets a mouth full of wool.If you cannot stock train  or break a chaser,cull it.

I had a Smithfield tumbler x track greyhound the fastest dog I ever owned by far was alright wi sheep then decided to round up about 200 sheep about arf mile away from me in seconds I thought the dog was bomb proof it never went on the dales again. I couldn't bray him because by the time he came back he wouldn't have known what  the pain was for and I wasn't going to risk it again could have lost permission if farm owner had seen it

33 minutes ago, Stephen unwin. said:

I had a Smithfield tumbler x track greyhound the fastest dog I ever owned by far was alright wi sheep then decided to round up about 200 sheep about arf mile away from me in seconds I thought the dog was bomb proof it never went on the dales again. I couldn't bray him because by the time he came back he wouldn't have known what  the pain was for and I wasn't going to risk it again could have lost permission if farm owner had seen it

That's where the hot collar would of come in wait till 20 foot from contact then fry the dog accociat the pain wi the sheep not you job done

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, Stephen unwin. said:

Most people might disagree but its why I never have stock dog blood in hunting dogs,Their too sheep orientated in some cases,just by instinct.Crossed with hunting dogs spells trouble.

In the past, I used a ewe with lamb to chase or butt a young dog, but there is a risk of the dog being injured. There is also the risk of fiery dogs developing a hatred of sheep which will manifest in the dog deciding to get the sheep first before it can do any damage. I was shown a strange method with the current dog which I didn't think would work, but did. You basically have the dog on a long line and walk out toward a group of sheep and when you get to within about 20 yards of the group turn and run away and fuss the dog when at a 'safe' distance. I think the success of this would depend upon the age and temperament of the dog and the type of bond jt has with you. The idea is that through repetition the dog learns that it feels scary to be near to sheep and good to be a certain distance away. Sounds daft, but has worked faultlessly with my somewhat unpredictable dog and I rent a place on a livestock farm, so sheep worrying is a big no no.

I have mine round sheep while there penned up from 8 weeks same as cats any eye balling is soon sorted then I have them sat there when there loaded up for market all that running and jumping about soons gets any dogs attention but again it's soon sorted but I have found running venison regular seems to put all that training to one side if your not careful 

• Like 3

He was fine about a month ago walked him off the lead through stock before I started to show him some work now his hunting and killing his seemed to have changed and then the other day I was walking my lane and he just jumped the fence and was off behind them and today he jumped the gate at home when I was at work and my uncle let him round the yard he whent in the field opposite he said he had such a job to get him but I need to stop it as all the land I hunt is mainly sheep I'm going to try lead walk and a horse whip