Dog or bitch pup

All being well I will be bringing in a new lurcher pup. Bitch has been lined so all being well I will have a nice litter to choose from. Im not sure whether to pick a dog or bitch pup. I have 2 dogs now. One lurcher and a busher. I am swaying towards a bitch pup. Mainly because I have always had bitches in the past and also pressure from the other half!! Both dogs I have now have a good temperament and get on with dogs and bitches when I hunt with other people. The main concern of bringing in a bitch is the seasons and with having 2 dogs in the kennel there will be a lot of disruption. Something I’m willing to deal/put up with. On the other hand if I choose a dog pup will this change the dynamics in any way. Is 3 dogs together a crowd? 

Anyone had any major problems with brining in a bitch or a dog with a similar situation to me? 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

got 2 lurcher bitches,3 terrier bitches and the 1 dog terrier......hes a proper f***ing dickhead when they in season,whines,cocks his f***ing leg everywhere,general sex pest?,never have issues with bi

Personally I'd have a bitch always prefer bitches and apart from seasons you won't have the problem of it being bottom of the pile till a certain age when it goes stiff legged lol plus dogs have a ten

just shows we are all different. always had bitches I think they bond better. as for seasons the old saying a bitch is trouble 6 weeks a year a dog is trouble 12 months of year. your choice. atb. 

Posted Images

My father in law used to have quite a few dogs and he swears by equal numbers as the 2 you have already have a bond and the could be left out that's his view not sure myself but a bitch in season could make the other to fight for her? Not sure on that though pros and cons to both sides I think some say bitches work better personally I prefer dogs couldn't be dealing with seasons and all that. What the breeding of the potential new one? 

Cheers salt moon. Only concern is the 2 dogs scrapping. They have been around bitches in season before but didn’t turn nasty. Just turned into dick heads!  Got a bit of time yet and it all depends on what the bitch has. They will mainly be collie lurcher with some saluki and a dash of bull. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, white van man said:

All being well I will be bringing in a new lurcher pup. Bitch has been lined so all being well I will have a nice litter to choose from. Im not sure whether to pick a dog or bitch pup. I have 2 dogs now. One lurcher and a busher. I am swaying towards a bitch pup. Mainly because I have always had bitches in the past and also pressure from the other half!! Both dogs I have now have a good temperament and get on with dogs and bitches when I hunt with other people. The main concern of bringing in a bitch is the seasons and with having 2 dogs in the kennel there will be a lot of disruption. Something I’m willing to deal/put up with. On the other hand if I choose a dog pup will this change the dynamics in any way. Is 3 dogs together a crowd? 

Anyone had any major problems with brining in a bitch or a dog with a similar situation to me? 

Personally I'd have a bitch always prefer bitches and apart from seasons you won't have the problem of it being bottom of the pile till a certain age when it goes stiff legged lol plus dogs have a tendency to go out of there way to find new and varied ways to be a c**t

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As above what Katchum said ….. If your really not that bothered either way wait till you go to see the litter.

when Ive been to see litters over the years, then I have always put the dog pups away and just concentrate on the bitches in the litter, but you can cast your eye across the whole litter 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Saltmoon said:

My father in law used to have quite a few dogs and he swears by equal numbers as the 2 you have already have a bond and the could be left out that's his view not sure myself but a bitch in season could make the other to fight for her? Not sure on that though pros and cons to both sides I think some say bitches work better personally I prefer dogs couldn't be dealing with seasons and all that. What the breeding of the potential new one? 

spot on , 2 company  3 a crowd , and its very true . i had terrier and a lurcher   lived out side no probs, then i got a lurcher bitch , as a back up incase the male lurcher got hurt . feckin hell it was nightmare , the terrier wanted her for him self , they started fighting him and the lurcher big time, had separate  them, and even out side they havea go  and with other dogs. big lesson learned from that, i only keep males now , and no probs as yet , the odd growl from Buck at Bryn, Bryn still top dog, but dont think it be long before Buck takes over. i only keep 2 dogs at one time , when old Bryn dead i get another male  lurcher pup in, plus i get on better with males, my  dogs are very loyal, sensitive , easy to be around with , males alot easier to keep, work all year no probs with feckin  coming in season etc, males  all the way deff .

7 minutes ago, bird said:

spot on , 2 company  3 a crowd , and its very true . i had terrier and a lurcher   lived out side no probs, then i got a lurcher bitch , as a back up incase the male lurcher got hurt . feckin hell it was nightmare , the terrier wanted her for him self , they started fighting him and the lurcher big time, had separate  them, and even out side they havea go  and with other dogs. big lesson learned from that, i only keep males now , and no probs as yet , the odd growl from Buck at Bryn, Bryn still top dog, but dont think it be long before Buck takes over. i only keep 2 dogs at one time , when old Bryn dead i get another male  lurcher pup in, plus i get on better with males, my  dogs are very loyal, sensitive , easy to be around with , males alot easier to keep, work all year no probs with feckin  coming in season etc, males  all the way deff .

Get what you are saying there bird. Only reason I’m bringing in a third one is because I need 2 runners. My lad keeps taking big knocks and has been unlucky with injuries. 

43 minutes ago, white van man said:

Get what you are saying there bird. Only reason I’m bringing in a third one is because I need 2 runners. My lad keeps taking big knocks and has been unlucky with injuries. 

well , go for a male pup, make life easy on your self, put the male lurcher pup in with your older lurcher,  the pup will bond with him  , it did with my 2 males there mates , been like it for 6 years,  Buck 6  Bryn 11   , nice gap between them , Buck  does all the work now, it be the same when you get a male pup  , no prob .

14 minutes ago, bird said:

well , go for a male pup, make life easy on your self, put the male lurcher pup in with your older lurcher,  the pup will bond with him  , it did with my 2 males there mates , been like it for 6 years,  Buck 6  Bryn 11   , nice gap between them , Buck  does all the work now, it be the same when you get a male pup  , no prob .

Yep my lurcher and busher are best mates. I think another male might cause friction with that though. I have looked after mates bitches before and they have both been fine with them.