In February this year I decided to look for an air rifle and stumbled across an auction site called catawiki I signed up and bid for an air rifle a hatsan att 44 -10 its discription said Dutch version and English version 970 fps it didn't state what grain pellet but I at the time I didn't know. What difference that could make anyway I won the bid at £400 plus delivery from Belgium £35 it arrived some time later by regular courier I took it to local gunsmith who filled it I took it home and fired a few pellets put it away in a cupboard 4 days later I was involved in an altercation with my partners son they called the police and I handed my self in  whilst in custody they said they had been informed I had a gun ( ex partner ) I told the police were the air gun was and they went to my house and removed it for testing in that time I contacted catawiki and asked if they had possibly sold me a gun that required a licence there reply was that in error they had not put in description about laws in my country and it was my duty to do this and they took no responsibility subsequently I have attended crown court today 20/12 2018 and with a shit barrister received a 10 month sentence suspended for 2 yrs 140 hrs community service 50 rar meetings  ? And a fine  of £320 pound to destroy gun I had no chance to tell my mitigation my life has been turned upside down why is it so easy to buy a gun from this site CATAWIKI with no questions how do I get my point across this is not right surely 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you've paid £435 for a sh*tty hatsan air rifle my advice to you would be to have your head examined....

I don't know anything about the legalities of air rifles ,so my advice would be stop making yourself look a dick with half truths and lies ,if you insist on posting bollox ,then the air gun section is

All of a sudden I'm really nervous about picking up my shiny new Serbian Kalashnikov from the post office this afternoon.      

you could of bought an FAC air rifle by mistake

n the Netherlands, air guns can be owned by persons from the age of 18 years and can freely be acquired. Until 1997 there were limitations on muzzle velocity and kinetic energy, similar to the German law, but these restrictions were lifted for practical reasons.

but in court the judge would of read the charges out stating you were in fact in possession of a firearm without a license.

were you asleep in court???

surely to fck you spoke with your solicitor of what charges you were up for

why would you log onto the internet asking for legal advice??

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 2

Police would only take and test the gun if it had been used in a crime or you had threatened to shoot somebody as it has no bearings on your domestic situation otherwise, I suspect we may be missing some of the story or being fed ?? here, I have known people get caught with overpowered air guns before and only had to sign a destruction permission form instead of being prosecuted ??? P.s if you feel you were given the shitty end of the stick you still have the right to appeal, but if you did have an illegal firearm you should consider yourself lucky your not having turkey in the big house as it carries 5 just for owning it 

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 3

using certain pellets in sub 12 l/b per ft air rifles can give you readings on the chrono over the legal limit ......your lucky your not over the wall for the next 5 crimbos.....would of thought the company that shipped it to you and UK customs and exercise would have something to answer too????

I don't know anything about the legalities of air rifles ,so my advice would be stop making yourself look a dick with half truths and lies ,if you insist on posting bollox ,then the air gun section is your best bet ,p.s use the word "velocity " a lot and you won't go far wrong on there .atb 

• Haha 5
4 hours ago, Darriel said:

In February this year I decided to look for an air rifle and stumbled across an auction site called catawiki I signed up and bid for an air rifle a hatsan att 44 -10 its discription said Dutch version and English version 970 fps it didn't state what grain pellet but I at the time I didn't know. What difference that could make anyway I won the bid at £400 plus delivery from Belgium £35 it arrived some time later by regular courier I took it to local gunsmith who filled it I took it home and fired a few pellets put it away in a cupboard 4 days later I was involved in an altercation with my partners son they called the police and I handed my self in  whilst in custody they said they had been informed I had a gun ( ex partner ) I told the police were the air gun was and they went to my house and removed it for testing in that time I contacted catawiki and asked if they had possibly sold me a gun that required a licence there reply was that in error they had not put in description about laws in my country and it was my duty to do this and they took no responsibility subsequently I have attended crown court today 20/12 2018 and with a shit barrister received a 10 month sentence suspended for 2 yrs 140 hrs community service 50 rar meetings  ? And a fine  of £320 pound to destroy gun I had no chance to tell my mitigation my life has been turned upside down why is it so easy to buy a gun from this site CATAWIKI with no questions how do I get my point across this is not right surely 

Don't all add up imo, surely you could have proved you'd only owned it 4 days?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Don't all add up imo, surely you could have proved you'd only owned it 4 days?

Dont matter if he had it 4 minutes or 4 days

still was in possession of a firearm he shouldn’t of.

why didnt the gunsmith pick up on this as he fired it a few times according to the OP

You might as well get hung for a sheep. If she's ruined your life I reckon you should have it out with her. Have a few Stella's to focus the mind and get round there

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Haha 4
6 hours ago, Ted Newgent said:

Dont matter if he had it 4 minutes or 4 days

still was in possession of a firearm he shouldn’t of.

why didnt the gunsmith pick up on this as he fired it a few times according to the OP

If he bought it like that, hadn't tampered and believed it to be within limits I'd have thought hed be ok 

57 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

If he bought it like that, hadn't tampered and believed it to be within limits I'd have thought hed be ok 

No mate - I believe the law sees it as an absolute offence - he owned it and it was over the limit, they don't give you any room for mitigation.

........ People in this country get very twitchy about anything that has a barrel and a trigger.

Depending on your local force, you might get off more lightly if you're only 1 or 2 ftlb over  and there are no other offences.

But, getting nicked for scrapping and having an airgun that far over, they could have had his pants down worse to be honest.

Darriel - you can try an appeal, it might lessen the penalty for the altercation but, it won't for the air rifle.

........ You made a mistake/error and got caught out - you're just going to have to take it on the chin.