Weirdy Beairdy?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? We had several beardie coated pups, out of our Border sheepdogs and Cattle Dogs,...I think folk sometimes forget the salient word with this particular canine,..it is a Collie...? Herding dogs n

My current boy, don't no feck all about his breeding free to a good home, but I get told almost weekly by every dog expert I meet he,s a beardie cross just before they pull his ear back to tell me he

I've ran Beardies crossed for some time, dam an daughter, not DH. I don't recognize the majority of comments about them posted here. They were rabbit bitches but never had an issue with "accidents" an

Posted Images

Ive seen the very odd litter advertised since the 80s other than Hancock.i had one from him in 1989 a first cross not weird in the slightest a bombproof temperament who was a pleasure to own.

IMG_1096.JPG

Edited by darbo
  • Like 5

We had one from hancock and she was weird. 3/4 grey x 1/4 beardie

I remember her coming back from lamping and when we pulled up home and let her out she ran off. 

She wouldn't take squatters. Her best bag was 5 on a numerous occasions. So I got a pup and before she was 1 she caught 12 on same land. 

In the end she went to a pet home. 

• Like 1

I’ve had a beardie/border x greyhound off Hancock so only 1/4?bearded collie ,he had a lovely temperament, he didn’t like traveling in cars as a pup but that improved with age plus lots of dogs of different breeds don’t like cars. Only fault for me was he was 26 tts too big for rabbits.

7961EDF7-8EAA-4423-8638-F662DA2F43BD.jpeg

• Like 2

I had a 1/4 berdie 1/4 border 1/2 greyhound , straight from Hancock Kennels he was a picture of a dog 

27 TTS strong racy smooth brindle dog

He was out of Hancock's 1/2 beardie 1/2 border stud he had ,not 100%on the name maybe hector ?it was around 5 year ago 

Just never had the prey drive ,he was almost put on top of daytime rabbits just wouldn't run them ,other days would course the odd bunny depending on his mood needless to say he went to lurcher rescue ?

Edited by 355mlredbull
41 minutes ago, Str said:

I’ve had a beardie/border x greyhound off Hancock so only 1/4?bearded collie ,he had a lovely temperament, he didn’t like traveling in cars as a pup but that improved with age plus lots of dogs of different breeds don’t like cars. Only fault for me was he was 26 tts too big for rabbits.

7961EDF7-8EAA-4423-8638-F662DA2F43BD.jpeg

Who was the sire

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Allan P said:

My idea of Beardie cross is good feet, good coat good stamina and less neurotic than Border. For mooching the Moors and a bit of lamping would be Ok. Possibly not the best but reliable? 

If you get one that's mentally stable then yes they are all that you require...... but you could end up with a dodgy temperament cnut like I did.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Allan P said:

My idea of Beardie cross is good feet, good coat good stamina and less neurotic than Border. For mooching the Moors and a bit of lamping would be Ok. Possibly not the best but reliable? 

Less neurotic than a border?! Not the ones I've seen. Almost without exception the collie x's with beardie in were far more weird than just border x's. Obviously, as some have said, darbo, you'll get some with a reliable temp. But hiw do you really tell at 8 weeks?

Just seen gnipper's post above ?. I'll NEVER own another lurcher with beardie in

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Allan P said:

No matter what cross you were to ask opinions on there would be for and against, I think a lot depends on the man behind the dog, if your someone that can adapt to problems and can out think dogs regards training then go for a beardie cross if your not get something more straight forward that will run at anything type and you’ll both be happy.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Str said:

No matter what cross you were to ask opinions on there would be for and against, I think a lot depends on the man behind the dog, if your someone that can adapt to problems and can out think dogs regards training then go for a beardie cross if your not get something more straight forward that will run at anything type and you’ll both be happy.

Yes you are 100% right, I just like to see people’s opinions, discuss for a while and do my own thing anyway.  

• Like 1

? We had several beardie coated pups, out of our Border sheepdogs and Cattle Dogs,...I think folk sometimes forget the salient word with this particular canine,..it is a Collie...?

Herding dogs need to be of sound temperament, it pays to thoroughly research their suitability, before any lurcher breeding project is undertaken, or it can definitely get emotional...:yes:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3