Jump to content

After a young dog


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

The dog or bitch itself is yours to work but I do see what you mean dogmandont by not been 100% truly yours as to breeding from that dog or bitch if it comes good enough. On the other side of the coin that dog or bitch has been developed by a man that has put time and effort into getting it to that stage and when taking that dog or bitch as a pup that person should understand it has a responsibility to do right by its breeding and who bred it. More often than not if your gifted a pup you would know the breeder well and he would know you inside out and future relations and improving your terrier and his would be discussed between eachother and both views on how your dog or bitch would be taking into account and come to a conclusion what would be best for your terrier by both terriermen.   

And that’s exactly how it is and how it should be but it doesn’t change the fact that I feel gifted terriers are not fully mine whereas pups I’ve bought in in the past were mine to do with as I please, funny thing is the last pup I bought in must be 15 years ago and I paid the princely sum of 30 quid for her and she turned into one of the best terriers I ever had the lad I got that pup of has gifted me nearly every terrier I’ve owned since.

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 2
Link to post

  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've a young unspoilt bitch here you can have pal.....save yourself a few grand having one sent over....they all terrier gods on here ,some can even guide the quarry to ground with a selective shot ab

Good old boy DC and don't feck the dog or the man over Mr r3d 👍,if it don't work out for you it goes back is the unwritten rule all gifted terriers come with to US ALL mate.The very best of luck with

black bitch,had rats,been tied up and had a listen,just not had anywhere easy to start her off.lives out,quiet and bombproof with other dogs.ive been given the chance and sorted out over the years....

Posted Images

16 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Most lads only breed when there’s a need .im out the breeding game but  having been burnt twice over gifted pups I wouldn’t advice  anyone with any meaningful lines to gift stuff without first knowing the lad and what he’s about .Still at a loss to understand how some lads apparently mad on the game a)haven’t got a line of their own and b)chop and change terriers like my missus buys cloths .

Surely the aim is find good stock ,work it  ,breed it ,repeat .Not a dig at Dc but he’s an example lol

happy new year to all 

I've never claimed to have my own line...just dogs bred down from the best to the best I had at the time...i was sorted a lining last season from a gentleman who (has probably the best blood in the country imo)wanted nothing back in return...didn't work out for me, so I  moved on....dont have the cheek to ask folks for freebies,dont muff no arse and cant be f****d with the politics and bullshit associated with dogs from certain folks/ lines...so always bred my own or bought them in,I've payed for dogs and gifted them away,f**k the money...always been honest with folks.ive knocked about with some slippery lads over the yrs and been burnt ,robbed,lied too and cheated.....Ive bred 5 litters of terriers and 2 lurcher  litters in 25/26 yrs for sport for myself and who ever was around me at the time👍dogs get old,dogs get picky and some dogs don't gel🙄 that's how it goes fd. atb👍

  • Like 9
Link to post

It's important from the start that both parties no the terms that the dog is being gifted on,and should save arguments breaking out down the road,has far as I've been when I gift a man a dog it's his dog the only curtsey I would expect would be to offer dog back if things don't work out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
17 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Most lads only breed when there’s a need .im out the breeding game but  having been burnt twice over gifted pups I wouldn’t advice  anyone with any meaningful lines to gift stuff without first knowing the lad and what he’s about .Still at a loss to understand how some lads apparently mad on the game a)haven’t got a line of their own and b)chop and change terriers like my missus buys cloths .

Surely the aim is find good stock ,work it  ,breed it ,repeat .Not a dig at Dc but he’s an example lol

happy new year to all 

Man up FD become the BOSS of your own house,just tell your wife she buys clothes when YOU say so,done it years ago and now as a result  I am tHE BOSS when she is not around.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
10 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

The dog or bitch itself is yours to work but I do see what you mean dogmandont by not been 100% truly yours as to breeding from that dog or bitch if it comes good enough. On the other side of the coin that dog or bitch has been developed by a man that has put time and effort into getting it to that stage and when taking that dog or bitch as a pup that person should understand it has a responsibility to do right by its breeding and who bred it. More often than not if your gifted a pup you would know the breeder well and he would know you inside out and future relations and improving your terrier and his would be discussed between eachother and both views on how your dog or bitch would be taking into account and come to a conclusion what would be best for your terrier by both terriermen.   

Iv'e a young russell bitch here who's a gifted dog,i knew before i picked her up if she works she gets mated in the future to what ever the fella wants her bred to and she probebly will go out the country to be bred as well,but she's my bitch and if she don't work she'll stay here as a family pet and be sterilized as she's a cracking little no hassle dog to have about anyway....It is all down to respect for the line,the terriers themselves and the folk who have worked fecking hard putting a line together and i couldn't look in a mirror if i didn't stick to the true meaning behind what were talking about.I'm doing my very best for her and she's going in the right direction so far,so all good for us all and to the folk who do gift out stock to us non breeding terrier owners i thank you  greatly..✌️

  • Like 5
Link to post

None of thats relevant mate .You don’t have to own kernels full of dogs to have a line but you do need mates on the same page .Kennels full of non workers serves no purpose at all .In 32 years of digging I’ve only kennelled 19 dogs that were worked as often as possible .

Link to post
39 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I’d rather KNOW what I’m feeding and breeding than wonder if,when and will they do it again .

Surely that counts for 90% of taking the game seriously .

 

The young russell i have is from a line of russell's that has well proved itself for the last 30 + years, knowing what i have ain't a problem for me FD :D..

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

By sticking to a known source you are cutting down the odds of failures rather than like some who buy from this lad ,that lad ,try breeding scatter bred parents,never arriving at anything that will breed true .Amazes me they struggle on like it tbh .

  • Like 3
Link to post
13 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

By sticking to a known source you are cutting down the odds of failures rather than like some who buy from this lad ,that lad ,try breeding scatter bred parents,never arriving at anything that will breed true .Amazes me they struggle on like it tbh .

But we are talking about lads who don’t mind where it comes from aslong as it works, an most lads o know like that wouldn’t breed off 2 unrelated dogs as they DONT BREED😂

Link to post
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

But we are talking about lads who don’t mind where it comes from aslong as it works, an most lads o know like that wouldn’t breed off 2 unrelated dogs as they DONT BREED😂

No body has to breed to be part of a line mate .Ive given plenty of pups to lads who will never breed and has been advantageous when all I need is to know is that what I’m breeding is working without the headache of what to put it too .Not all dogs within a line need breeding to .All I ever asked was that they worked it and kept me informed .A lad that wants the breeding rights to a gifted terrier is ,can be a right pain in the arse unless they tow the line so to speak .

  • Like 1
Link to post
2 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

No body has to breed to be part of a line mate .Ive given plenty of pups to lads who will never breed and has been advantageous when all I need is to know is that what I’m breeding is working without the headache of what to put it too .Not all dogs within a line need breeding to .All I ever asked was that they worked it and kept me informed .A lad that wants the breeding rights to a gifted terrier is ,can be a right pain in the arse unless they tow the line so to speak .

An that’s what we talking about lads like you say, but sometimes them lads have dogs from more than 1 breeder in there yard, sometimes for diff jobs sometimes for same job, but they don’t necessarily stick to one line😁

  • Like 2
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...