• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once had an order for 45 pints, so I knocked on the door to check it was right. A woman answered and said "Yes it's right. Milk baths are good for the skin." I said "Do you want it pasteurised

I can answer one of your questions............ I used to work for a firm that did deliveries both to shop and to doorsteps. The milk arrived on the same lorries, from the same processing plant, s

Anyone's kids still get milk at school ? I had it in tiny glass bottles (1/3rd of a pint ?), and later, my kids had it in small cartons. My late dad's last job was as  a school caretaker.........

Worked on milk vans from about ‘85-88’ whilst at school. Milk went from 23-27p a pint delivered in that time. It’s maybe only 50p a pint in supermarkets now 30 years on..., plus milk lasts way longer in the fridge now. Local dairies and doorstep delivery boys just can’t compete. 

1 hour ago, jiggy said:

I can remember the crows picking the foil off those glass bottles if crate wasn't covered the dirty feckers.

It was the blue tits at our place , in winter you had to be on the ball if you wanted to beat them to the cream on the gold top .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, sussex said:

cream on the gold top .

I remember the gold tops well,posh houses,used to nick them when I spied one delivering papers as a kid,shameful to remember but all part of growing up I guess.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mackem said:

I remember the gold tops well,posh houses,used to nick them when I spied one delivering papers as a kid,shameful to remember but all part of growing up I guess.

You barstad we were blaming the fcuking blue tits ....?

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, mackem said:

What was the difference with gold tops. I only ever saw silver tops and never had the privilege of gold.   To us been wealthy was people not drinking the bottles after the crows pecked them. We still drank them and would jostle the crow out of the way to get it.???

• Haha 1

Fond memories of tipping the milk churn and pouring the creamy milk into the lid of the churn and drinking. Still love a my cream on the wheat bags in the morning, probably no good at all for me but what the hell.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jiggy said:

What was the difference with gold tops. I only ever saw silver tops and never had the privilege of gold.   To us been wealthy was people not drinking the bottles after the crows pecked them. We still drank them and would jostle the crow out of the way to get it.???

Gold top has a lump of clotted cream in the top few inch,s of the bottle, I still drink it but it comes in a plastic bottle today ?

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Gold top has a lump of clotted cream in the top few inch,s of the bottle, I still drink it but it comes in a plastic bottle today ?

Bit like a milkshake then.Id imagine it's not as nice from a warm plastic bottle as regards to a cold glass one without a crows head stuck in it.