Tomorrow is the day

Evening all, long time no see. 

I've been mighty busy recently with very little time to get out or even onto the forums. However, one of the things I have been busy with is my SGC Application. After years of umming and ahhing I finally decided to take the plunge. 13 weeks on and tomorrow afternoon is my FEO visit. House is tidy, safe has been checked, double checked and triple checked. I've read through the BASC shotgun code of practice and the CPSA publications to cram some info into my nut. I've memorised the legal definition of a shotgun and the various other rubbish I thought I might need. I know my quarry seasons, I know my responsibilities as a cert holder and I know that my license rests on this interview. Tomorrow at 16:00 it begins and by 17:00 I'll be blubbering on here that I messed it all up and don't stand a chance! 

If it goes well I could be in the market for a nice over and under... ?

Regards

Smithy 

• Like 2

You won't mess nothing up.

Your entitled to a shotgun licence by law.

The law says " the applicant shall be granted".

Only naughty boys get turned down.

Oh sure they like to come over all powerful and make you feel like a worm.

Just be polite and sincere.

• Like 4

As everyone else has stated, you'll be grand, as long as you have good reason and not been a numpty you are entitled to one. You wouldn't have got as far as an FEO visit if they were going to turn you down. Just be yourself!

My last FEO visit we talked more about archery than my rifles, quick look at my cabinet an jobs a good un ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gav said:

As everyone else has stated, you'll be grand, as long as you have good reason and not been a numpty you are entitled to one. You wouldn't have got as far as an FEO visit if they were going to turn you down. Just be yourself!

My last FEO visit we talked more about archery than my rifles, quick look at my cabinet an jobs a good un ?

My last visit by a female officer noticed my wife's take that CD on the stairs.

She spent most the time blabbering about all their chuffin concerts she had been! Talk about snooze feature!!

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Underdog said:

My last visit by a female officer noticed my wife's take that CD on the stairs.

She spent most the time blabbering about all their chuffin concerts she had been! Talk about snooze feature!!

I had one like that some years ago. Asked more questions about the three year old than gun related stuff? Ahh..........

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Mark_mjs93 said:

House is tidy, safe has been checked, double checked and triple checked. I've read through the BASC shotgun code of practice and the CPSA publications to cram some info into my nut. I've memorised the legal definition of a shotgun and the various other rubbish I thought I might need. I know my quarry seasons, I know my responsibilities as a cert holder and I know that my license rests on this interview. Tomorrow at 16:00 it begins and by 17:00 I'll be blubbering on here that I messed it all up and don't stand a chance! 

If it goes well I could be in the market for a nice over and under... ?

On what basis did you think that any of that had any bearing on whether you get a cert or  not ?

When you get a cert don't restrict yourself to an ou ? You might get on very well with a sbs, pump or auto.

19 minutes ago, walshie said:

No blubbering yet. is that good or bad? 

Interview done... Here's hoping! I think it went well. Now is the waiting game, she said It could be up to 4 weeks before I get my license but we will see. I've got the itch now! 

Meece, i know it doesn't have bearing on my getting a license but it was things I knew she might ask, so I made sure I had some knowledge of it all to cover my arse. I won't be limiting myself to just an O/U as I'm also hoping for a semi auto but the o/u is first on my list for for some clay bashing. 

I just hope they don't reject it... I rounded a bolt when I fitted the safe and I dont fancy taking an angle grinder to it to remove it ?

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Mark_mjs93 said:

Interview done... Here's hoping! I think it went well. Now is the waiting game, she said It could be up to 4 weeks before I get my license but we will see. I've got the itch now! 

Meece, i know it doesn't have bearing on my getting a license but it was things I knew she might ask, so I made sure I had some knowledge of it all to cover my arse. I won't be limiting myself to just an O/U as I'm also hoping for a semi auto but the o/u is first on my list for for some clay bashing. 

I just hope they don't reject it... I rounded a bolt when I fitted the safe and I dont fancy taking an angle grinder to it to remove it ?

Put VERY simply, you are entitled to a SGC unless the Police can show why not.

You are NOT entitled to a FAC unless YOU can show why you need one!

Don't fret! :thumbs:

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

I had one like that some years ago. Asked more questions about the three year old than gun related stuff? Ahh..........

Bit after the fact now, but in my experience they tend to ask questions about your life / family rather than seasons, guns etc. What they're looking to establish is that you're not some nutter, not that you have knowledge of shooting. Provided you come across as a reasonable bloke, it's a formality as others have said. They've already done the background checks by this stage. In all probability, they've already made up their mind from the background checks whether or not to grant. The interview is just a simple rationality check to confirm there's nothing obviously wrong not already caught by the background check. The most likely gun related comment you might face is one related to a well known shooting tragedy or similar where they just drop it into conversation rather than directly ask you about it just to see what your comments are. That and you might get a basic question on safety such as shooting with a background / keeping shot within the boundaries. Provided you have some notion of safety and are a rational bloke, you won't have any issues with a SGC.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1