Dial in or holdover

Talking to a few shooter lately and a few asked me,  do I use holdover ,which I do and always have  .

They have said try dial in you will be amazed on accuracy at long distance and I have noticed a few of the you tubers dial in  ,for example Matt Dubber  

What are you thoughts , is dial in more suited to guns above 12  ft/lbs ?

This is quite interesting to me aswell as I've been taught from day one by my dad to use hold over / under which has done me well for over 20 odd years, but like you I've seen Matt dialing in and just wondered if thats a better way to do it.

TBH think it might take me a long time not to just aim higher or lower haha.

You need a decent scope to start with when dialing to make sure each click does what it is meant to, particularly as you need to dial back as well.    Many cheaper scopes suffer a bit on the engineering side and dialing can be a bit hit and miss...literally!      That is not to knock cheaper scopes, which can punch above their weight in lenses, but the obvious answer there is holdover.

Each to their own but at conventional 12ft lb air rifle distances, and in the field, holdover will commonly be a better option, but you need to know your gun/pellets!

:thumbs:

• Like 2

I must admit that I was very taken with the idea of dialed in on FAC air as used by both Matt Dubber and Ted ......... (teds holdover) as they were using the MTC Viper Pro with the tape you can customise but I just thought perhaps too much farting around so left it alone.

An interesting subject and one which perhaps one day I would try but not with Airmax scopes, not pronounced clicks to use in the field.

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philpot said:

An interesting subject and one which perhaps one day I would try but not with Airmax scopes, not pronounced clicks to use in the field.

That's a good point Phil - dialing in with an Airmax would be a right pain in the arse with that nut that tightens the turrets.

I've always used hold over :thumbs:

......... Though I can see dialing in being useful with a duplex reticle.

• Like 1

With sub 12ft/ lb air rifles and being resolutely old school, i`ll stick with the hold over/ under school.

At 12 ft/lb level and using light weight 7.87 g pellets permanently, hold over is rarely required until i`m pushing out of my comfort zone  of a 38 yard zero.( no caliber debate intended).

At 45 yards to 50 yards, a half mill dot hold over is all i`ll ever use with the Mamba scopes.

"At sub 12 ft/lb ranges" i like to keep things easy and quick  to follow.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mark williams said:

With sub 12ft/ lb air rifles and being resolutely old school, i`ll stick with the hold over/ under school.

At 12 ft/lb level and using light weight 7.87 g pellets permanently, hold over is rarely required until i`m pushing out of my comfort zone  of a 38 yard zero.( no caliber debate intended).

At 45 yards to 50 yards, a half mill dot hold over is all i`ll ever use with the Mamba scopes.

"At sub 12 ft/lb ranges" i like to keep things easy and quick  to follow.

I am in the same mind as you Mark with sub 12 and specially .177 . 

Dial in seems time consuming imo but like Phil I might try it  

• Like 1

That's one of the reasons I got the mtc viper pro 5-30x50, using the turret system with my ranges written on it, takes a bit of time to get it right, i didnt use the mtc calculator I went to the perm with some range markers and a 50uard tape measure did it that way. 

Hold over, how I have always done it and to be truthful I don't really think about it now, couldn't be doing with faffing around dialing in, my mate does that and he wastes lots of time and misses opportunities.

• Like 2