acd x greyhoud

3 hours ago, TOMO said:

fireman will like that I recon...hes a sturdy thing aint he..

He does for sure Tomo  :laugh:and that pup looks like he'll cope with a hill and some rocky ground just fine eh. The very best of luck with it Adampie and keep us updated on how it grows bud..

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My acd x greyhound pup out of two 1st crosses. 15 weeks old this coming Thursday. Looking forward too seing how this one turns out.  Atb Adam 

Sensible advice I would also add,..that just because a Cattle Dog shows an inbred ability to herd large dangerous beasts in its native environment,..it does not equate to the catching and killing

Best of luck on your exciting new journey,...it will be emotional at times,...but rewarding, so have fun,...all the best, Phil.?  

Posted Images

Thanks again men. Yes I'll keep posting her progress and hopefully it will be all good lol. I'm hoping she is nice and strong, a mate of mine has one and she's a very strong type but by Christ she can shift and catch for fun. If she turns out half the bitch of my mates i'll be very happy. Atb Adam 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26/09/2018 at 13:50, Born Hunter said:

Kelpies and ACDs often get spoken about together but what about their regional cousin the NZ Huntaway, have these ever found their way into lurcher breeding? Too vocal perhaps? But solid looking animals.

Another breed/type I found out about recently is the Idaho Shag. Again a pastoral type but one that is gritty as f**k. There's a chap that uses them as decoy dogs on coyotes and they will finish a wounded yote which is no trivial task. Don't look stupid hard, quite clever with taking a throat hold.

Chap i work for has a Collie / Huntaway x lurcher , getting on now and retired but showed promise when younger but the chap isnt really a dog man and didnt know what he was doing .

I have a pure Huntaway bitch at home which i use on my sheep . Her prey drive is mad , as soon as we finish doing anything to the sheep she is gone off through the woods after deer / foxes , as you say she is vocal but only seems to be when scent hunting if we are ferreting or out with the lamp she is quiet , not a huge amount of speed but could run all day and super clever . I have been thinking of putting my lurcher to her if he turns out good . Think it would make a good strong dog .

• Like 2
3 hours ago, runner neil said:

Chap i work for has a Collie / Huntaway x lurcher , getting on now and retired but showed promise when younger but the chap isnt really a dog man and didnt know what he was doing .

I have a pure Huntaway bitch at home which i use on my sheep . Her prey drive is mad , as soon as we finish doing anything to the sheep she is gone off through the woods after deer / foxes , as you say she is vocal but only seems to be when scent hunting if we are ferreting or out with the lamp she is quiet , not a huge amount of speed but could run all day and super clever . I have been thinking of putting my lurcher to her if he turns out good . Think it would make a good strong dog .

Any pics ? Them huntaways are class looking curs 

3 hours ago, runner neil said:

You more tolerant than many. If a working sheep dog did that around here it would soon be worm food.

34 minutes ago, trenchfoot said:

You more tolerant than many. If a working sheep dog did that around here it would soon be worm food.

Lol ... super patient me ?

She has always done it any scent and gone !! Did read somewhere that they added Foxhound blood when creating the Huntaway to add endurance , guess thats where the nose and drive comes from

8 hours ago, Chid said:

Any pics ? Them huntaways are class looking curs 

Here she is .Hell of a job to get a decent picture , she is carrying a bit of extra weight at the moment but not to worried as she is an outside dog and it gets bloody cold here in the winter 

20190109_213535.jpg

20190109_213651.jpg

20190109_213651.jpg

• Like 1