Quick question?

13 hours ago, Kerny92 said:

The dog caught 3 around Oct/Nov time, i was into Hare catching not coursing. 2 out of the 3 were decent slips as well.

Glad you said catching, not coursing. Was the same myself with my old dog. Very powerfully built, and just looked too plain, big and bulky. People that scoffed at me and thought I was exaggerating about him, went very quiet after they saw him catch. Massive difference between hare catching and hare coursing.

Oh yeah, dog was 26" tts and almost 80lb in weight, fit. Caught me loads of hares, and every one of them would've been before about 25 seconds

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 3

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some do an ounce pal........

when I was a boy most of the lurchers in my area were deerhound based, and decent dogs in reality, but I was a smug little b*****d cos I got a saluki lurcher, and at that time 1969 there were very few

The thing that a lot of people don't realise is that a hare won't hit top speed until the dog is right behind it. It might look as though it's going flat out, but watch it go down a gear or two when t

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

I know dogs don't always run at their best when they're doubled up but I'd love to see a good Hare catching dog against a purpose bred coursing dog on various slips.

Ran my big bulky dog with a few lads that thought they had fast dogs, he left them in his wake from start ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Kerny92 said:

I know dogs don't always run at their best when they're doubled up but I'd love to see a good Hare catching dog against a purpose bred coursing dog on various slips.

Hare coursing dogs are meant to catch hares unless you're talking about coursing greyhounds.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Hare coursing dogs are meant to catch hares unless you're talking about coursing greyhounds.

Of course their aim is to catch Hares, I'm talking about purpose bred coursing dogs against a good Hare catching dog that isn't necessarily bred out of out and out coursing dogs.

Edited by Kerny92
5 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

Of course their aim is to catch Hares, I'm talking about purpose bred coursing dogs against a good Hare catching dog that isn't necessarily bred out of out and out coursing dogs.

Ive seen a few sporty type lurchers that could knock over a hare or two over the years but to try and compare them to a top class purpose bred coursing dog.Well there is no comparison.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Ive seen a few sporty type lurchers that could knock over a hare or two over the years but to try and compare them to a top class purpose bred coursing dog.Well there is no comparison.

I've owned Lurchers that were very capable Hare catchers but never ran them on the big fields with fast company.

18 hours ago, two crows said:

you can buy a line bred coursing pup for a couple of hundred, bring it up well enter it when it is physically and mentally ready and that may not be at the same time so be patient and you may get a world beater or pay a few grand and stick yer chest out, its your choice as for colly crosses killing hares I can assure  any one unless its a freak it wont kill 3 winter hares coursed proper any where, I had a whippet sized bitch with saluki and beddlington in it that used to kill foxes single handed in winter and make a proper job of it, but I aren't daft enough to compare that to a proper fox dog, and as for fen dogs we used that term for a dog that could not catch one any where else.

Owned a dog years ago was 1/8 collie and he was a decent hare dog, killed 3s more than once in the small fields local, they weren’t 100 yard slips but they weren’t kick ups either, how many hares actually get given fair law?  Anyway when it came to foxes he was a complete cur so he never stayed with me and was replaced with a half cross Wheaton bitch that never got a mouthful of hare in her life.

18 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

I've owned Lurchers that were very capable Hare catchers but never ran them on the big fields with fast company.

Ive never had a coursing dog or been into coursing but one of my old lurchers could kill a hare or two but couldnt do a thing with the hares on the fens the couple of times i went up there with a few lads to have a morning out.I did see a couple of well bred coursing dogs in the hands of good dog lads and to see them killing hares in numbers off of 150yrd slips was an eye opener.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Ive never had a coursing dog or been into coursing but one of my old lurchers could kill a hare or two but couldnt do a thing with the hares on the fens the couple of times i went up there with a few lads to have a morning out.I did see a couple of well bred coursing dogs in the hands of good dog lads and to see them killing hares in numbers off of 150yrd slips was an eye opener.

there's a world of a difference between a lurcher hunting up and catching a hare or two and a good coursing dog killing good hares in winter, and there's a world of difference between a good hare killer, and a reel top class dog, and I know lots off hares are not given fair law but that the man not the dog, over the years I done some crazy slips, if it pulls it goes lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

That's the thing with the coursing bred dogs, they can be crossed with other types if you want to adjust the running style for smaller land etc, but a top saluki  lurcher is an end product really when it comes to the hare game

• Like 4

The is no better dog for hares than a coursing bred one fact you might get the odd flash in the pan dog that can catch hares now and then but when it comes to the dead of winter when the at there best and you are run 9 to 15 hares a week and the dog is doing 3 and 4 min running each run that's when ye blood and ye breeding comes in to it no other breed is doing that for you week in week out 

• Like 1

"On Hunting Hares" in 124 AD. He tells his readers that the purpose of coursing is not to catch the hare, but to enjoy the chase itself: "The true sportsman does not take out his dogs to destroy the hares, but for the sake of the course and the contest between the dogs and the hares, and is glad if the hares escape." Concerned about proper sportsmanship, he adds, "Whoever courses with greyhounds should neither slip them near the hare, nor more than a brace (2) at a time." ?

Edited by green lurchers
16 minutes ago, DavoH66 said:

The is no better dog for hares than a coursing bred one fact you might get the odd flash in the pan dog that can catch hares now and then but when it comes to the dead of winter when the at there best and you are run 9 to 15 hares a week and the dog is doing 3 and 4 min running each run that's when ye blood and ye breeding comes in to it no other breed is doing that for you week in week out 

no other dog can do that, fact, but you always get somebody saying my dog don't take 4 or 5 mins to catch a hare but the fact is they prob never run a good one, during the 1970's when dearhound crosses was all the rage my saluki lurchers was makin there jaws drop lol.