Quick question?

2 hours ago, two crows said:

when I was a boy most of the lurchers in my area were deerhound based, and decent dogs in reality, but I was a smug little b*****d cos I got a saluki lurcher, and at that time 1969 there were very few, and they were out standing for brown hares, these little dogs were clever, they could take control of a course and actually slow a hare down, and manipulate it and more or less take it out at will, unless you take in a course and understand what's happening  its easy to think the dog is struggling, its not, that's why those that understood, took it to there hearts and now we have what we have, this is not the work of one man but many over nearly five decades.

Thinking about the years gone by, I think there's a few reasons as to why I didn't really appreciate salukis or heavily saluki blooded coursing types.

In no particular order lol, I never had permission anywhere, until the last maybe 8 or 9 years, so I wanted my dogs to catch asap. 

I've always needed and liked a fast type of dog, even for rabbits. I know plenty of people will say 'you don't necessarily need so much speed just for rabbits'. Almost every area I used to frequent years ago, you certainly did, and even more so now on some of our perms.

And I think, given those facts, along with a couple of other observations, that's what put me off saluki types. 

I realise some are faster than others, but what I wanted and needed for years was a very quick dog off the mark, that tried it's guts out, in most cases for less than a minute.

As I say, looking back, when I did see saluki types at work, I probably didn't realise what I was actually seeing, if that makes sense ?

• Like 3

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some do an ounce pal........

when I was a boy most of the lurchers in my area were deerhound based, and decent dogs in reality, but I was a smug little b*****d cos I got a saluki lurcher, and at that time 1969 there were very few

The thing that a lot of people don't realise is that a hare won't hit top speed until the dog is right behind it. It might look as though it's going flat out, but watch it go down a gear or two when t

Posted Images

Another way to look at it is people think the saluki is slow but the dog is a pure sighthound, not many people run a greyhound so at the most with lurchers the most common fast crosses are the 3/4's. That quarter of non sighthound blood surely must negate the pace advantage a pure greyhound has over the saluki. 

I've never owned a saluki, how do they compare pace wise to the 3/4 bred lurchers? 

When I had the coursing greyhound bitch a friend had a 1/8 saluki 1/8 bull 3/4 greyhound dog that he thought was fast and it was but when we slipped them together one day the coursing bitch blew holes in the dog for the first 7 or 800 yards, ain’t much can live with a full greyhound for straight line speed and them big coursing type greyhounds can cover some ground.

35 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

When I had the coursing greyhound bitch a friend had a 1/8 saluki 1/8 bull 3/4 greyhound dog that he thought was fast and it was but when we slipped them together one day the coursing bitch blew holes in the dog for the first 7 or 800 yards, ain’t much can live with a full greyhound for straight line speed and them big coursing type greyhounds can cover some ground.

spot on that the difference is tremendous, but any one who watched the waterloo cup must realise that a good lot of that speed is not needed, all that does is blow the dog up, I recon that a good fast type coursing dog offers far more to lurcher breeding than the greyhound ever could, there fast, durable, agile, coursing clever, great recovery, and have stamina to spare , add a base breed and you have a recipe  for success,  all a greyhound has is pace.

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, two crows said:

spot on that the difference is tremendous, but any one who watched the waterloo cup must realise that a good lot of that speed is not needed, all that does is blow the dog up, I recon that a good fast type coursing dog offers far more to lurcher breeding than the greyhound ever could, there fast, durable, agile, coursing clever, great recovery, and have stamina to spare , add a base breed and you have a recipe  for success,  all a greyhound has is pace.

i went to the waterloo cup for over 20 years loved watching the greyhounds exciting to watch but ive watched many blow up and reduced to near walking pace.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, two crows said:

Agree with you tc, but I’ve always been wary of of adding saluki blood into foxing dogs as the couple I seen couldn’t handle it, maybe I seen bad examples I don’t know, on paper it makes perfect sense and in the future I hope to try one if I can find the right pup.

54 minutes ago, darbo said:

i went to the waterloo cup for over 20 years loved watching the greyhounds exciting to watch but ive watched many blow up and reduced to near walking pace.

Have seen a few greyhounds run to a standstill, that weren’t jacking they were just spent.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Agree with you tc, but I’ve always been wary of of adding saluki blood into foxing dogs as the couple I seen couldn’t handle it, maybe I seen bad examples I don’t know, on paper it makes perfect sense and in the future I hope to try one if I can find the right pup.

I think you be ok if you want a all rounder with the fox as a priority cross with a heavy hitter you be on the money for me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dogmandont said:

Have seen a few greyhounds run to a standstill, that weren’t jacking they were just spent.

I often wonder how many dogs have been called  jackers    by inexperienced people for that very reason.