fires on saddleworth and winterhill

4 hours ago, king said:

As harsh as it sounds fire is just part of the cycle of nature.

A few weeks after some good rain fall.them moors will be a lush green.and will attract loads of wildlife back onto them.

Agreed. It's a shit situation but, the land and wildlife will back renewed.

3 hours ago, socks said:

Why should soldiers be at the disposal of anyone unless it's a war time situation .......

Who better to rely on when you need pure manpower in numbers :thumbs:

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m heavily involved with the fire at Saddleworth, been in the moor most days helping with fire fighting. Back on tomorrow 

From earlier this week. The soles on my boots were melting ?

, watching the effects of the fire on the wildlife and the people in the surrounding areas, complete devastation for all concerned, mainly the gamekeepers with there grouse population struggling for y

Posted Images

I subbie for catterick barracks working with the mobiles ( transport) and these young lads and lasses know how to graft, all it takes is for someone higher up the chain to say this is what needs doing and it gets done

3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Haven't the armed forces been at the government's disposal in emergencies since forever? Soldiers might not like it but it's not something new. And frankly these days the more valuable they are in auxiliary roles the better before some c**t with a biro wipes out more of them so as to afford a new f***ing MRI for the NHS or some other shite. 

They have but every time there's an emergency soldiers are expected to drop everything and suddenly become fire fighters bin men sand bag fillers etc roles they have no experience in and are not trained for ( except sand bag filling ) the army has been depleted year on year whilst its military duties are increased year on year. Estonia being the latest. Their wages are shit for what they do and the new pension scheme is a fukcing joke ... so instead of expecting these lads to give up leave weekends why not draft in other firemen from different parts of the country. After all they only work four on four off hardly a beast of a workload is it ........

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, socks said:

They have but every time there's an emergency soldiers are expected to drop everything and suddenly become fire fighters bin men sand bag fillers etc roles they have no experience in and are not trained for ( except sand bag filling ) the army has been depleted year on year whilst its military duties are increased year on year. Estonia being the latest. Their wages are shit for what they do and the new pension scheme is a fukcing joke ... so instead of expecting these lads to give up leave weekends why not draft in other firemen from different parts of the country. After all they only work four on four off hardly a beast of a workload is it ........

I know they have some Cumbria and some from Yorkshire helping but the fire has now joined and it's been declared a major incident they were told weeks ago it was a tinder box up there and there was grave concerns of a fire by the people that work the land but we're ignored 

3 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Id expect nothing less from a guy of your calibre chris 

Thank you. I’m good friends with the keeper and some of the farmers, plus I work on the other side of the moor, it’s where I go every morning. Love it up there. The guys are getting on top of it but it’ll take weeks, the peat is burning underneath. I can see it from home and it’s still smouldering ☹️ Back up tomorrow for a few hours ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Its true

So when it was judged to be required , the army just popped up and squared it out?!

”were not off tomorrow on exercise , we’re off up moors with no training or equipment , just to help out” 

5 minutes ago, cragman said:

Thank you. I’m good friends with the keeper and some of the farmers, plus I work on the other side of the moor, it’s where I go every morning. Love it up there. The guys are getting on top of it but it’ll take weeks, the peat is burning underneath. I can see it from home and it’s still smouldering ☹️ Back up tomorrow for a few hours ?

I know nothing of the area ... do you have lakes up near or on that moor ???

6 minutes ago, Rusty_terrier said:

They use it as "military simulation". The logic behind it is they are working in fire and heat similar to that in warzones especially tound the blast zones of smaller bombs 

Lol lol lol ......

• Like 1

I assume by that you mean battle simulation, you know the background noises one would associate with jdam, mortars , at missles etc . 

You know delivered by subject matter experts I.e. me, with controlled demolitions made by people like erm me 

I can bore you with safety distances for PE4 and the differing types of bat sim implemented in both the uk and abroad 

or we can sit around and wait for a fire to get real training value ...

id rather get back to the job that cragman is doing knocking his pan in helping his local area. 

Take care up there mate