Bedlington stud dog Yorkshire

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after all the debates and discussions i did get a stud dog for my bitch........she had the pups yesterday 4 x dogs 2 x bitches all doing really well including my bitch who has done herself proud wi

sire is the blue dog and dam is choc bitch shite pic il see if i can get a better one

Posted Images

Nearly everyone I know that word rock don’t work collars as there’s a good chance they’ll get hung up on them. The bitch you say never got seen again may have been an excellent rock dog and may have been able to get herself back from where she was and may have been there before she might have just got hung up that time 

29 minutes ago, justdigit said:

Nearly everyone I know that word rock don’t work collars as there’s a good chance they’ll get hung up on them. The bitch you say never got seen again may have been an excellent rock dog and may have been able to get herself back from where she was and may have been there before she might have just got hung up that time 

She did not get hung up as no collar on some piles we put collar on as can be dug an not deep , the pile worked Friday only had Collier on to see how deep it is as only had old grey box before but could not find with the 40 foot one , sometimes it's good to no how deep your dog gose in rock , a dog that don't go deep in piles not going to find much 

There’s a difference between going deep and getting stuck. Every rescue I’ve been to in rocks has been terriers bred out of digging dogs used in rocks. Yes they will work them and bolt foxes but they’re an accident waiting to happen. A mate has some Black and Tan terriers line bred rock dogs if you try them in an earth and there’s a tight spot they won’t  push or dig they’re out looking for a different way in. Proper rock dogs are a completey differnt animal to digging dogs used in rock 

Edited by justdigit
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, justdigit said:

There’s a difference between going deep and getting stuck. Every rescue I’ve been to in rocks has been terriers bred out of digging dogs used in rocks. Yes they will work them and bolt foxes but they’re an accident waiting to happen. A mate has some Black and Tan terriers line bred rock dogs if you try them in an earth and there’s a tight spot they won’t  push or dig they’re out looking for a different way in. Proper rock dogs are a completey differnt animal to digging dogs used in rock 

Any thing can happen in rock dog kills fox blocks dogs way out a rock drop block way out or dog slide down a big rock an not get back up every time a dog is put in rock there's a chance dog will never been seen again , yes a rock dog an digging dog are not the same , I know a man called Allan he had black an tan an worked rock with his dogs be 20 years not see him border Lakeland most black an tan odd red one he had about 14 terriers at time most was for rock work an some for digging 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Yes, but in an earth the aim is for you to dig the dog and get the result one way or another with your input. You enter your dogs into these rock places and you have no claim on what is going to happen, I’d doubt you could net these places so at best you’re entering your dog into a impenetrable tomb with the hope of getting a glimpse of a fleeing fox. 

Also to say these places can be dug nowadays with diggers and a team of lads seems a bit irresponsible and slightly selfish on your part, I mean, why should a gang of lads risk their lives in these dangerous places and stop out all night just because you’ve put a dog into a place like that?

I’m not after an argument, I genuinely would like to know why you would rather put your dog in these places than do proper earths?

No buddy it's what's this place is about people chatting about working terriers every one has different input/ideas about what and how things should or shouldn't be done. 

Terrier work is different all around the UK. Some lads live to dig a well educated animal. Some lads live to bolt a fox to guns or what ever . It's not all black and white in my view.  Just to clear up I don't keep rock dogs due to the fact i cant find a proper one and they arnt easy to come by. 

If you did terrierwork with a pack up here. And you only would use your dog in a soil earth you would probably only get to use your dog once a season. And would possibly be frowned upon for choosing your spots. 

I'm fairly lucky 50 plus years ago a hand full guys set up a club for us crazy f##kers like us who work rock and they called it the fell and moorland wtc. I pay my subs so if something did go wrong I have a group of willing men to help me out. Knowing I will do the same for them. 

RH if I ever get a good rock dog in the future you should come up for the day and see what you think. 

Adam 

• Like 3

Don't no why folk say ther is no rock dogs .... the fact is folk don't no how to bring them up on the rocks... I said it before on another post ... ther loads of digging dogs out ther that will work rock... but they have to be on the rock from an early age... soon as mine are jabed ther on them... haven't done like I did on the rocks with having a new born but Carney wait for next season..... but the new stock I have coming up will work rock and dig ... as I expect them to do both...

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ziggy said:

Don't no why folk say ther is no rock dogs .... the fact is folk don't no how to bring them up on the rocks... I said it before on another post ... ther loads of digging dogs out ther that will work rock... but they have to be on the rock from an early age... soon as mine are jabed ther on them... haven't done like I did on the rocks with having a new born but Carney wait for next season..... but the new stock I have coming up will work rock and dig ... as I expect them to do both...

So how do they know when to stick and when to move.  an 100% digging dog will stay till dug to or am I wrong? So how do they know if there in a pile or a earth. If a dog was in a rock pile and it waited till the brake through it more might  be waiting a long time.  I always thought a rock dog should be a busy thing if it can't get in moved about

Not pushing on in a tight crack and getting stuck because it can smell the Fox

But like I say I'm no expert just my option

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rat face said:

So how do they know when to stick and when to move.  an 100% digging dog will stay till dug to or am I wrong? So how do they know if there in a pile or a earth. If a dog was in a rock pile and it waited till the brake through it more might  be waiting a long time.  I always thought a rock dog should be a busy thing if it can't get in moved about

Not pushing on in a tight crack and getting stuck because it can smell the Fox

But like I say I'm no expert just my option

You no how I work my dogs ratface... they stay till they dug and you seen them in the piles ..yes I have some that will never see rock.. but thats were nowing what your dogs gonna be like  at a young age .. like I've said before they get tried in places where I get to see what ther about.. I have said before to you I like them to hit them hard eather bolt him or finish him... that's the sort I have had for years and what my old man has had...i have only 1 bitch now which works rocks not the type id preffer but she does the job i ask...

5 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Always found in the rocks it was either a quick bolt or a whole lot of concern ?

Cheers, D.

The lads you went with buddie how Manny of them worked them single handed... the same lads you no as I no regular had two or 3 dogs in... 

• Like 2

Think it was common to work more than 1 terrier in rocks years ago. A lot off old boys talk about it like it’s perfectly normal. I’ve heard tales of 5 or 6 being used. Wouldn’t fancy it my self tho be bad enough losing 1 good dog never mind a yard full 

Yes they did it was very common... but you look throu the fell and moorland year books... how many dogs needed rescuing by being one dog to ground.. hardly any if you read the Lancashire rescue s ther was multiple dogs in ..

32 minutes ago, ziggy said:

You no how I work my dogs ratface... they stay till they dug and you seen them in the piles ..yes I have some that will never see rock.. but thats were nowing what your dogs gonna be like  at a young age .. like I've said before they get tried in places where I get to see what ther about.. I have said before to you I like them to hit them hard eather bolt him or finish him... that's the sort I have had for years and what my old man has had...i have only 1 bitch now which works rocks not the type id preffer but she does the job i ask...

sound like dodgy places these rock piles! that's why I always keep my dogs on the lead whilst walking past them, especially around the back of local tips