So my male lurcher is just over a year old now. I want to get him in to running/hurdle racing and coursing but we are both new to this.

Just some tips and advice would be much apreciated for example are there any particular exercises/training?

Diet? He's on raw meat and loves it!

We walk and he runs around for over 2 hours a day but is there anything in particular to prepare him for racing/coursing? 

Also I know for the showing side I've been told that keeping them as entire males is the way forward but what about racing/ coursing? 

So many people have told me to castrate due to the cancer risk however I'm sure it's bending the other way now? Obviously his health comes before everything!

Any advice, tips, training, websites, books to get me and Loki started would be much appreciated :)

20180402_114113.thumb.jpg.680e1564fabbeb9441c9c8c742a25893.jpg

There are normally Facebook groups that advertise or Google lure coursing in your area. Sounds like he gets plenty of exercise but if he's not fully developed yet then when he runs hard he could end up with injurys. As for the chop I'm against it unless there is a medical problem or similar. The shows will be starting soon now the season is over. Hope this helps abit atb 

• Thanks 1

There is a slightly increased risk of prostate problems in an entire male dog, but you can cross that bridge if you ever come to it. I'm against elective castration if the dog is showing no signs of behavioural problems because the resulting decrease in hormones can affect muscle tone, especially as the dog ages. It's good that you feed a raw diet, but I hope it contains more than just meat: presumably you feed bones/carcases and offal as well? Red meat alone would mean the diet was very deficient in calcium and other vitamins and minerals essential to growth and strong bones.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For showing you must get a well thin lead to pull the dog's head about and it's imperative you keep on practising stretching it's back legs out 

And don't forget to talk to the dog in the highest pitch voice at all times

• Haha 5

Link with info re castrating

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2010/09/evaluating-risks-and-benefits-of-neutering-dogs-and-cats/

which suggests "Overall, it appears justified to recommend spaying all females not intended for breeding, because the procedure is more likely to prevent rather than cause disease. In male dogs, the benefits of castration are not so clearly greater than the risks."

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Black neck said:

For showing you must get a well thin lead to pull the dog's head about and it's imperative you keep on practising stretching it's back legs out 

And don't forget to talk to the dog in the highest pitch voice at all times

Heel Buster heel, this way, this way   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Heel Buster heel, this way, this way   

You know the game , it helps if you got a tardis like van with at least 1 dog to suit every class  

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, HannahBear1991 said:

Thanks everyone!

Skycat- I feed already complete raw meals so they have bone and ofa added to it as well as the meat :)

Sounds good the bear

On 04/04/2018 at 21:05, Black neck said:

You know the game , it helps if you got a tardis like van with at least 1 dog to suit every class  

We have 3 or 4 van fulls like that.not me personnally but people i see at shows.i used to see them in the c w right up north when were right down south.crazy.

1 minute ago, ginger beard said:

We have 3 or 4 van fulls like that.not me personnally but people i see at shows.i used to see them in the c w right up north when were right down south.crazy.

Yep the husband showing and his missis fetching the next uns out stretching them out ready 🤣 each to them own but ffs 

7 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Yep the husband showing and his missis fetching the next uns out stretching them out ready 🤣 each to them own but ffs 

I enjoy a show myself but only the 3 or 4 local one's.i wouldn't travel over 150 miles to get to one.

Just now, ginger beard said:

I enjoy a show myself but only the 3 or 4 local one's.i wouldn't travel over 150 miles to get to one.

Yeah note wrong wi a summer show 

Some tek it a bit 2 serious