Putange mole trapping

8 minutes ago, Dave74 said:

I would say yes,but you know what this time of years like,but I would say there’s not much distance you can go without seeing a range,they seem to be everywhere specially near the coast I think they must like the sandy ground as the parks just of the bents are riddled with them.i know a few older lads who would have used strike9 in the day but they won’t trap 

Interesting stuff,...

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Strychnine,..was a terrible thing... Back in the day, I felt that its usage was something (as a Rural Pester) that I should know about. I applied to be schooled and instructed in the safe us

As a lifelong trapper, and a one time Importer, of killing traps,..the humane dispatching of a pest species really is a subject,... close to my heart. I do believe that we can affect a change, by

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Dave74 said:

I will take a few photos mate and upload them,not tonight though as it’s torrential here  

That would be good, mate,....(I like looking at photos of mole activity, for some reason !!),...are you Northeast Scotland, then ? , & I know what you mean about the "rain" , hence why I'm on here yapping ?

• Thanks 1
On 24/03/2018 at 17:05, LuckOrJudgement said:

I'm glad someone's catching. I'm on a job at the moment where every type of trap I try is getting bull-dozed, back-filled or tunnelled under.

I'd be better off sitting there with a good book and a shotgun!

Got the bugger this afternoon. He fell victim to a Trapline which I'd virtually buried in the bottom of the run.

To make anything on this job I now need his wife, his mistresses and all his children to oblige me by turning up to pay their respects.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Got the bugger this afternoon. He fell victim to a Trapline which I'd virtually buried in the bottom of the run.

To make anything on this job I now need his wife, his mistresses and all his children to oblige me by turning up to pay their respects.

Well done on that catch

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Iol,...nice one, mate !

• 2 weeks later...

Where's the photos , matey ? Iol , & it did occur to me you were asking a pretty basic question at the start , for someone who has " made alot of people happy" with your mole catching ?:p (now you don't have to take me too serious here,.....cause i do like a wind up ! :laugh:)

• Haha 1

Your right a basic question but more of a I’ve never experienced this before have you guys type question,7 out of 1 garden,yes 7!!got another last week and there’s still another bugger I’ve been trying to catch this week he’s just digging up traps going round them etc you know the type,makes checking the traps better, like a battle of man and mole I will get him and any other who takes his  place just like the 7 previous ???

i will post a picture of a new field I’m about to start,you can help if you want il need it

My record from a domestic garden 1 acre ish is 14 in 10 days. 

The property is down in a small valley close to a river.  Water courses have always turned up trumps for me,. I do a pub on a river and one boundary is a picket fence that runs perpendicular down to the riverbank. Along the entire length of the fence there is a mole run. I can set in this and trap 5 moles in a week - a whole procession of them - all coming up from the river. 

But these are exceptional grounds. Most of my work is ones and twos, along with the occasional tricksy fecker with the sixth sense. My attitude is: if he's there, I'll catch him... in the end. Just got to persevere, move your traps around in search of the perfect set. Then you'll have him. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Dave74 said:

Your right a basic question but more of a I’ve never experienced this before have you guys type question,7 out of 1 garden,yes 7!!got another last week and there’s still another bugger I’ve been trying to catch this week he’s just digging up traps going round them etc you know the type,makes checking the traps better, like a battle of man and mole I will get him and any other who takes his  place just like the 7 previous ???

i will post a picture of a new field I’m about to start,you can help if you want il need it

Your a good sport mate,...thanks (don't take me too serious ?)

1 hour ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

My record from a domestic garden 1 acre ish is 14 in 10 days. 

The property is down in a small valley close to a river.  Water courses have always turned up trumps for me,. I do a pub on a river and one boundary is a picket fence that runs perpendicular down to the riverbank. Along the entire length of the fence there is a mole run. I can set in this and trap 5 moles in a week - a whole procession of them - all coming up from the river. 

But these are exceptional grounds. Most of my work is ones and twos, along with the occasional tricksy fecker with the sixth sense. My attitude is: if he's there, I'll catch him... in the end. Just got to persevere, move your traps around in search of the perfect set. Then you'll have him. 

Yep, i concur with you regarding mole activity, often following or alongside watercourses,....& thats the thing also, about trying to estimate mole numbers on a job,...you never really know until you get the traps placed ? (mostly)

52 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

Yep, i concur with you regarding mole activity, often following or alongside watercourses,....& thats the thing also, about trying to estimate mole numbers on a job,...you never really know until you get the traps placed ? (mostly)

Its also been repeated to me over the years (especially by farmers lol) that the best mole runs to place a trap , is always one that "leads to a water source" ?,....the idea being that all the moles in an area will travel it to get a drink,....(even better in a dry spell in spring or early summer, etc),...now that's all well & good, and I have found them up here before,...but some would refute this by believing that the moles get all the moisture they need from their main prey, the worms,....cause their bodies contain alot if water ?,.....anyone any thoughts on this one ?

Edited by earth-thrower