hw35 follow-up

well ive managed to get the old girl back on track... 41 year old and ready to go again!

this was my Christmas present off bigmac aka jimmy, he sorted the stock out fitted a Bisley butpad and bought the old girl back to looking good again:thumbs:

unfortunately there was an issue with the barrel so I tracked down an old one that needed polishing and re-blueing, 

one of the lads at my mates garage polished the barrel back to life in less time than it took me to have a smoke, didn't get chance to take a pic beforehand!

rK6MlBimTfKup9XMySKKuQ.thumb.jpg.d4689e0070829baa7959845ac90169be.jpg

it came up mint and gave me a chance to have a go at blueing, that birchwood stuff is spot on and if you work to the instructions the finish is sound:victory:Y9NIXCZbTKqandEV3FZJsg.thumb.jpg.6b2af53af638c94a3807408c70ed9339.jpg5a6a61bc5f343_rE84awc7Ssa5Ubut8AJTw.thumb.jpg.4a84deb1ecaf951ee0588b685fbc5eab.jpg

so I put her back together to check if the barrel was good and all was well, not perfect groups but near enough for a starting point,

it was dieseling badly but felt smooth!

jim had not touched the internals as he new id have it in bits anyway!!

5a6a62b9c7a74_rjCjDnymRFOdTC0BPKZeA.thumb.jpg.fc7015bf22805703ef8b6623b19e7abd.jpg

the spring was pretty fecked so I replaced it with a titan and fitted a vortek piston seal as I new id be able to ditch a lot of preload..

after removing a few coils and juggling stuff I managed to set it at 11.6ftlb with no pre-load , you can screw the trigger block on without having to push the spring and it nips up nicely!

5a6a643af1bf0_3bvUEQeUSIabEN6lTQ2w.thumb.jpg.9a12125f2da50387bda1275331f848a4.jpg

the shot cycle was sweet enough to pass the pellet on turret test but I could feel the piston grinding on cocking :(

so I stripped it back down ...the only solution I could think of bar slinging a ton of grease at it was buttoning!

so I ordered some 6mm acetal bar for £2 delivered of eBay, theres enough to do loads!

NIfwgqU2QJGC6UJacUs3UQ.thumb.jpg.78f1309f3d9fae645760a0bf45998d0c.jpg

after milling the stud holes I had to finish them off with me Dremel ripoff, I cut studs from the bar at about 4mm and set them in with epoxy resin leaving them proud 

and then sanding them to the comp tube diameter.... Im well chuffed with it now, no grinding and way smoother to cock!dSuH9A25T0616EVi7UoPyw.thumb.jpg.c2782bf0b0db35287532a9ca9e27684e.jpg

• Like 4

Cracking job Si

iv say.d this before but them JM35,s are special

and this one is even more special after your tune on her

just a shame the screw cut barrel had the rifling fecked half way down it

But im pleased the hw95 sites fitted her after all .

John could not have known the barrel was feck,d when he gave it to me 

as he had taken it off another that he was refurbishing and had screw cut it he would not have done the screw cut if he had .

Are you going to bring her up with you next week end Si

i want to know what she shoots like now .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, mattwhite said:

Top job Si. 

You might get out over the weekend I think mate. I think the bloody wind is dropping for a while??

Cheers matt

sunday will be the day but fcuk knows what the weather will be like, raining sideways one day tshirts the next :(

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Cracking job Si

iv say.d this before but them JM35,s are special

and this one is even more special after your tune on her

just a shame the screw cut barrel had the rifling fecked half way down it

But im pleased the hw95 sites fitted her after all .

John could not have known the barrel was feck,d when he gave it to me 

as he had taken it off another that he was refurbishing and had screw cut it he would not have done the screw cut if he had .

Are you going to bring her up with you next week end Si

i want to know what she shoots like now .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Yeah I’ll be bringing it up?

Was a shame about the barrel but I’ve go to confess I like the traditional look of the iron sights!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Love a bit of "back street mechanicking " its a great feeling when you can do it yourself ,looks like a little cracker just needs a few pigeons in front of it :thumbs:

cheers Baldcoot... I enjoy doing it, far more enjoyable  than watching crap on the box:thumbs:

hopefully the weather will improve and I can have a crack at the woodys tomorrow!