Bert Gripton.

5 hours ago, TOMO said:

yeh great times mate.....i remember at my mum and dads thinking you two must have hollow legs,,,,never seen such wiry fellas eat so much....:laugh:

mind i was glad your bro dug that 5 foot hole in pure sand.....bloody dangerouse

5 hours ago, TOMO said:

yeh great times mate.....i remember at my mum and dads thinking you two must have hollow legs,,,,never seen such wiry fellas eat so much....:laugh:

mind i was glad your bro dug that 5 foot hole in pure sand.....bloody dangerouse

Tomo, yes, they were wonderful times as we had youth on our side, however, age get's everyone in the end. The place you took David was a great place for Rabbits, not ideal to the sandy conditions, no matter what type of ground it is one has to first of all dig it out and then finally once again back -fill the place almost like you've never been there. However, to hunters and the trained eye it's a somewhat simple process to locate a certain warren that has been dug. "On the second occasion going to the same old place, but unfortunately not has profitable unlike the first occasion. "That's when the keeper's came and we'd hid the Rabbits, I loosed my net bag, dropped my box to the ground of which contained our Ferrets. "That's when one of the keeper's got a little scared and replied that they wasn't there for any   trouble. However, when they saw us go on our way and pick up approx 39 Rabbits, of course the annoyance set in. However, in retrospect those 2 keepers were very good ones. "It could have been so much different of course.

Tomo, I see you are doing good with the Ferrets, you've always done a proper job with those fine little things. I love them but I think you'll know that we, especially David used his Jills for a lot of Ratting and unfortunately I know he lost so many to Rats, especially through shock and bad wounds. However, our Ferrets virtually lived with us, or more so the other way round, we lived virtually with them! In over 30 years i've only ever seen I jill killed out right by a Rat. It was a small Polecat Jill, entered into a large ash bank and encountered a Doe that had just had a litter of youngster's, and only a few hours old. Although the Jill was a lethal Rat killer this particular Rat wasn't moving anywhere due to her defending the helpless youngster's that's when a Doe is the most dangerous, however when Rats reach about 3 weeks of age and can run about freely, then circumstances change in a different direction. "Every man for himself springs to mind"!

The other time I saw a really good Ferret killed was 38 years ago and the Ferret, a beautiful white Jill and remarkably tame, they had to be , we had no time for biters. It was David's Jill and she entered a large sandy place on a bankside situated next to a stream below. Rabbits in residence but also there was a large dog Fox curled up in another part of the warren and weighing above 21 1b in weight, a Ferret of course is certainly no match for such things. The Jill was killed and we entered the great little dog Betsy and we dug a 6 foot hole to both dog and Fox.It's somewhat strange of how life works out, all the dogs there that day have unfortunately been gone for years. Even the guy with us, (Ian Clay) is also dead and buried through cancer at the somewhat mere age of 40. He met his untimely demise, however, those experiences that occurred all those years ago will forever be etched within my memory. 

Apologies for going off topic! Hope you are keeping just fine Tomo. Our best thoughts and wishes !

Edited by Lutra Lutra
Missed a word out
  • Like 16

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At long last thankfully someone has put up this old footage of one of the best so enjoy and a very Happy Christmas to all of you and your families.  yours in sport, Neil.

As is all too often the case, opinions are frequently trotted out on these forums as if they were fact. And whilst I’ve no desire to “pee on anyone’s parade”, or to speak ill of the dead, it’s importa

Dilly Thanks for posting that old photo..... it was taken at the end of a day's otterhunting with the B.C.O.H. on our annual trip to Pembroke and Carmarthen where we'd all take a week's holiday t

Posted Images

Really enjoying reading this gents.. especially hearing from Tomo and Lutra, cheers for taking the time to post.. I'm sure it's not just me that appreciates it.  I live just outside Mansfield.. it's a small, picturesque quaint village... sort of place you see on postcards.. called Shirebrook! Lutra, i remember reading an artical in EDRD.. written by D.Slight about the tragic death of Ian Clay, must have been over 20 years ago. I remember the article well.. he had a collie cross bitch, smooth coated, called Skye.. i think. ( or Moon). He passed in Kings Mill hospital. Funny how some things stick in your mind. What a shame, I'm 41 with a young family.. so it brings it home. Where you on Welbeck estate when you had your collar felt by the keepers? Very sandy out that way. Finally.. sorry for straying, the tertiers name, Betsy.. nothing to do with the keeper from that way going back a while by any chance?

• Like 2
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:56, Lutra Lutra said:

BERTS COTTAGE, ON LIZARD L

fullsizeoutput_404.jpeg

Lutra….. thank you for posting that pic. The recollection of Bert's luxurious "double glazing" (the plastic sheets taped to the inside of the windows to keep the draughts out) made me smile.

It's a pity you couldn't have got the front gate in too, I well remember how you would have to jiggle the gate post in order to get it to open or close properly.

Thank you for sharing - Barrie

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 2
On 1/7/2018 at 21:48, Bush Rummager said:

it's a small, picturesque quaint village... sort of place you see on postcards.. called Shirebrook!

:laugh::laugh:...

.im originaly from new houghton so just as quaint :D.....the sandy place i mentioned was down in suffolk 

• Like 1

What a wonderful contribution to this thread Lutra Lutra...:yes: 

Your words, come across as being a man from another time,..and as such, they have a genuine feeling of nostalgia.

It makes me (and probably a whole warren full ) of fellow hunting enthusiasts, hark back to better, warmer, more friendly days.

I am sure we have met :hmm:

You mention TOMO,.and yes, I would have to agree, he is a good guy around the ferrets,...almost as keen as I once was...:laugh:

We need to praise the Goodfellas and vehemently condemn the vermin that skulk in our mixt,..such cruel wasters offer nothing, they delight in causing mayhem and stirring up trouble, then like the curs that they are, they vanish,.. back into the shadows.

A lovely thread, free of the taint of jealous backbiting and ignorance....many thanks...:thumbs:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I can only echo what other people have said as to how enjoyable this thread has been. There is a definite need for someone to record the knowledge that just about still exists but may soon be lost. The dreaded books, a cause for much argument and scorn as to the credentials of the person writing them and the people featured. I get that, but we still all read. The people reading this do anyway.

Not a how to do this or how to train a dog to do that. More in the style of Lucas' Hunt and Working Terriers perhaps? The only terrier book that I read as a young man but have found myself returning to over the years. A record of a bye gone age. The latter part of the 20th century is rapidly becoming a bye gone age.

The irony is that, even if there was a person suitably motivated and more importantly connected/respected by the men who should be spoken to, those who walked the walk rather than talked the talk, by nature would want nothing to do with such a project. I wont get into bloodlines. But, if such an honest book could be written... it would be something worth reading.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

What a wonderful contribution to this thread Lutra Lutra...:yes: 

Your words, come across as being a man from another time,..and as such, they have a genuine feeling of nostalgia.

It makes me (and probably a whole warren full ) of fellow hunting enthusiasts, hark back to better, warmer, more friendly days.

I am sure we have met :hmm:

You mention TOMO,.and yes, I would have to agree, he is a good guy around the ferrets,...almost as keen as I once was...:laugh:

We need to praise the Goodfellas and vehemently condemn the vermin that skulk in our mixt,..such cruel wasters offer nothing, they delight in causing mayhem and stirring up trouble, then like the curs that they are, they vanish,.. back into the shadows.

A lovely thread, free of the taint of jealous backbiting and ignorance....many thanks...:thumbs:

Phil, I must admit i've been in striking distance of you ,so to speak. I think it was at one of the (Waterloo cups) many years a go but stupidly I never came over to speak. I perhaps thought i'd be intruding upon your space. Within hindsight I now know I should have come over and started chatting. David hated it, I mean talking to people. Whether the reason of so many things happening to him before, being let down, used, and so many other things. He suffered from terrible paranoia and delusions. And of course I won't call my own twin brother, but he's the most genuine and trustworthy person anyone could ever meet. "Once you have his trust you've got a friend for life. We had some wonderful times with (Tomo), especially the Ferreting. I don't know of which I preferred, Ferreting in Suffolk or in North Yorkshire. However, they were both good places. In fact  at mother's house when I was a youngster an old outhouse door at the bottom had a small hole that would allow a somewhat small Terrier to negotiate. On many occasions my old Russell bitch (Tina) born in approx 1972, we would only be approx 7 years of age, Tina would use the entrance which had all manner of soft clothing of which she'd make a kind of nest out of. But anyway on one particular occasion i'd lost a really good small Polecat Jill and she had been gone for somedays. "Perhaps some readers could explain of what they think, and how such things happen. The Ferret had been seen on numerous occasions and certain people had tried to approach the little jill, however, she'd just dance and jump around in excitement, more for want of playing than actual biting. I'd given up the ghost and thought she gone for good until early one summer morning mother awoke myself with the news that the little Jill was found safe and well, fast a sleep with Tina. "Not only am I a utterly firm believer in the bond of man and dog, but I also believe dogs and Ferrets should be 100 per cent amicable towards each other. I don't have to put things into words, everyone who has seen the Terriers, Ferrets and the people behind them can testify our commitment. However, not so much nowadays, I only have 2 Terriers and David has been decidedly ill and lost the best dog he ever had the privilege to own. She's still sorely missed and he told me he's never been and felt so low at his loss. That's why I hate it when so-called Terrier men and Lurcher men used the very common terms when describing their dogs as tools. "I find that terminology somewhat repugnant. However, we all differ and there are some good people on this forum. I'm so pleased that a certain thread of our great friend the "illustrious Bert Gripton kindly put up by my friend Neil has shown a lot of interest by fellow Terrier men and Lurcher men also. Please don't think I don't like black or coloured Terriers because I do. Plus i've seen some good workers below ground, however many would suffer in the earths in our locality, Nottinghamshire. As it consist mainly of light sand, deadly to any dog! Whereas when a Russell was entered into a large place many years ago  of which at one reading we got the dog at 14 ft in depth, but after plenty of patience and letting the dog settle, we managed luckily to find him in the bowels of the earth at a steady 10 ft deep. I soon got through more or less by myself as it didn't take too long and (Jack) was there with a good sized dog Fox.

Anyway, sorry for going on for far too long. Thanks Phil, Barry, Tomo and Nick and many others for the correspondence. "I think oneday something should be arranged at a good country public house of course which supports all fieldsports and (Foxhunting) and have a great get together. However, a little bit of sarcasm needed. As the Whisky, Wine and Beer keeps flowing it's surprising how the Foxes increase decidedly in size and the quantity; and it's not just the Foxes that suffer as the poor little Rabbits get caught in their hundreds and Rat's in their thousands. "I'm only joking"! I send my best regards to everyone.... Good Luck and keep the flag flying!

Straight tracks clear skies as a Dutch friend used to say.....

• Like 15
  • 2 months later...

great bit on old bert first met the owd lad at the Fitzwilliam hunt show many many moons ago by feck I'm sure he dug with his hands the size om em ha ha . met another interesting owd lad last year jim meads apparently a sporting photographer seemed to know his stuff ?

• 3 years later...

Guys l have just come across the articles about Bert in particular Barries reminisces.

Barrie my late parents and a good friend who did terrier with the Cheshire hunt and myself were very good friends with Bert and his wife/partner Connie in the 60s like you we spent many Saturdays with the B.C.O.Hs and sometimes the Hawhstone.O.Hs in the Summer and the winters with either the Cheshires or Albrighton.We would probably spend an evening a week at the old cottage.

At one point Connie had a pet fox, Uffa. Bert always named his dogs starting with T. He always rated his best a male called either Terror or Trouble he was getting on when knew him (the dog), face battered and scared and the roof of his mouth no existent.

Such good times spent with good people and dogs.    At that time Bert used to drive a battered A35 van always seemed to be full of dogs and people.

I am sure we could swap many stories.

• Like 1