Looking For Some Advice On My Dog

I've got a bull x dog, he's 16 month old now done a bit with him last season was shaping up to be a good dog but this season we've started again and every time I slip him on let's say a rabbit if he misses he'll hunt up the whole field and scare everything else away before coming back but if he were to catch then he comes straight back with his catch. Any helpful advice appreciated hoping that someone might know what to do about it? Cheers

I had a 3/4 whippet 1/4 bull that was the same,also when ferreting if he missed one would wander off hunting up, leaving me looking like a chump at the warren.Gave him to a mate to keep rabbits,roos and hares out of his orchard which he is perfectly suited to.A very loyal dog and great retrieving but not the dog for me.

He jest sounds young keen and driven like a lot of bullxs can be mate more good nights out and the penny will drop with him if hes not seen rabbits etc all sumer this will be y stick to dark nights till he get back to how he was last year frustrating i now but its jest a few messed up fields

• Like 3

Just a blip I reckon mine is the same. Last year straight back at full tilt. This year so far after a lazy summer and going out on light nights and even artificial light from road lights with quite a few rabbits hopping about. No way was that dog coming straight back if he could see rabbits with out the lamp. Silly me :laugh: . Some work and dark nights will have him back on track same as yours :thumbs: Might help to pick a few fields with out much in too. Not a problem here :D

Edited by terryd

my young dog is doing the same at the moement mate. i am not bothered about it as i know with shit loads of work chucked at him next moon down he will of steadied up. youth and enthusiasium is what i put it down too. i always think its better them be that way inclined as mate its better to have to rain them in abit.

Mine did this darkest nights he'd hunt up I tried all sorts but he got the message when the lamp turned off and I walked the other way ruined a alot of nights out and I had to cut them short more often then not but after a while he got the message that if he didn't come back when the lamp went off then it's back to the car and home. Time effort and patience is what done it for me. Atb with him

• Like 1

Also you can use this situation to your advantage, when he starts to wander off keep the lamp just in front of him so he fallowing the beam slowly back close enough for him too hear your commands this way if he's scaring them then he might as well chase them

I was hoping that it would just be in experience and him being keen just have to give him a lot of work on the right nights then, cheers lads ??

i had a 1/4 pit 3/4 grey few years back, was the same hot headed on stuff at 1st day/night , had what you got on the post. But what i did to stop it and it worked great, was to pick his runs for him, there no point you giving long slips, because you know what going to happen, SO WALK HIM UP CLOSE and slip him on the rabbit, once he gets few kill under his collar he will use the spotlight to his advantage :yes: . like been said yes he needs work true, but the right kind to stop him hunting up, it only a feckin rabbit, walk round a make sure he catches it as simple as that . :yes::yes:

• Like 6

Teaching the dog to actually follow the beam is the most important thing. If you just light up a rabbit, which then moves, the dog is only chasing the rabbit without necessarily understanding that it must only run when the beam is on. Teaching the dog to obey the lamp is best trained somewhere where there is no game at all, and using a dummy, then a dead rabbit. This does work, it's a matter of putting in the ground work before you ever get out after live game.

Also you can use this situation to your advantage, when he starts to wander off keep the lamp just in front of him so he fallowing the beam slowly back close enough for him too hear your commands this way if he's scaring them then he might as well chase them

personally wouldn't do that incase it made him worse.

Like others said he's just keen, he'll learn he's more successful as part of a team in the end.