• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, scottpenn28 said:

8 years old now and unfortunately, likely to be her last in the beating line. Have noticed her slowing down considerably over the last 6-8 months, still absolutely loves it so will be a shame for us both as love watching this little girl work.

20231022_151138.jpg

Strange for a beating dog to be scowling down at that age there should be a few seasons left in her yet..

Is she carrying some injuries?

1 minute ago, dodger said:

Strange for a beating dog to be scowling down at that age there should be a few seasons left in her yet..

Is she carrying some injuries?

She has "wobbly patella" on her back leg which causes her to limp when walking for too long, and will also "lock" her leg, this year she had mammary lumps removed and got spayed due to pyometra. I'm convince the spaying had caused her to loose drive and energy. She will still happily got nuts in beating line and still find birds and flushes brilliantly, just takes longer for her to recover now, hopefully next year I'll be able to find a small farm shoot and just do 1 day a week with her on smaller drives. If not then I'll be out rough shooting with her and  and can do it at her own pace. Was really hoping for couple more years yet but thus year have really noticed her slowing and even labouring by end of decent run out.

9 minutes ago, scottpenn28 said:

She has "wobbly patella" on her back leg which causes her to limp when walking for too long, and will also "lock" her leg, this year she had mammary lumps removed and got spayed due to pyometra. I'm convince the spaying had caused her to loose drive and energy. She will still happily got nuts in beating line and still find birds and flushes brilliantly, just takes longer for her to recover now, hopefully next year I'll be able to find a small farm shoot and just do 1 day a week with her on smaller drives. If not then I'll be out rough shooting with her and  and can do it at her own pace. Was really hoping for couple more years yet but thus year have really noticed her slowing and even labouring by end of decent run out.

Shame that n by the sounds of it she's done well to still be working.

Do you have other beating dogs..

37 minutes ago, dodger said:

Shame that n by the sounds of it she's done well to still be working.

Do you have other beating dogs..

Unfortunately not, this one whinges and whines when standing still for too long so won't be getting another until she passes incase the next 1 picks it up. Springer will be next spaniel though, in touch with a chap who breeds heavy set type so that's where I'll be going too. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...