Trapping With The Kids

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The knowledge on this site astounds me sometimes . So many people been doing so many different forms of hunting/trapping etc for so long i pale into insignificance . Most on here been doing what they

Them kids is gonna' grow up just fine. We went to the Bath and West Show today. Was stood by one of the Alpaca pens. There were 2 in there, and one had been shaved, looked very peculiar. Both were tam

Fantastic writeup! This place should be filled with story's like this. Makes for some good reading and discussion.

Posted Images

Fantastic post,your children will remember these days for the rest of their lives and smile when they remember trapping with their dad when they were kids :thumbs::yes:

Hopefully they will forget when I tripped and went arse over tit down a hill

• Like 1

Mate lovely post and had a chuckle at your lad talking about his mate charlie. Keep up the good work with the greys, your only doing good. I have shot and trapped a lot of grey in the woods near me to the point of them now being pretty rare and i love reading about others doing the same, especially if theres a chance reds could repopulate. Keep it up

• Like 2

Awesome stuff mate

Wish I'd had a dad like you when I was a nipper

Had to teach myself

Ive been very lucky that my girfriend got a horse and has it at one of my friends granmothers farm . The grandmother is good as gold as is more than happy for me to do any trapping or shooting anywhere on her farm . Only stipulation is no live traps on the farm yard as she had one before and it caught a rat and her dog ripped the cage/her mouth apart trying to get at the rat

Them kids is gonna' grow up just fine. We went to the Bath and West Show today. Was stood by one of the Alpaca pens. There were 2 in there, and one had been shaved, looked very peculiar. Both were tame and didn't mind being stroked. 2 small children stood looking at them very intently when the little girl says ''Can I stroke it?'' Woman says''Nonono don't touch them!!, we haven't got any wipes!!'' and then leads the children away. A woman next to us commented how sad this was as how often is a child going to get the chance to feel an Alpaca. Me and the Mrs were scratching pigs, smoothing cows and sheep, playing with a couple of Alsations as well as touching the Alpacas......then went and had burgers and chips without washing our hands. I'm a great believer in not washing hands, builds up the immune system and keeps you strong. That's why I think kids handling squirrels, rabbits, playing in the woods etc is a good thing. Well done you!.

• Like 8

Brilliant mate. Trying to get my nephew out and about with me now he's seven. What adjustments did you have to make to start catching? I may try using the live taps with my nephew, but less brutal than a fenn lol.

Pretty basic adjustments that are standard I think . Spreading peanut butter on the plate . Making a hole in the bin bag above the plate and dropping peanuts on to it so some sticks to the plate . A nice tump of maize outside the door instead of sprinkling it around the area like I did to start . Someone told me squirells are shit with colours apart from yellow . So a lump of yellow is better seen by them from the trees rather than sprinkled everywhere . Started covering the trap real good with leaves and twigs . Not essential that one tho as I've caught in a trap with no cover under shelter. I've recently started dripping hazelnut oil and walnut oil in the trap at the back . Not sure if it helps but it can't hinder it I'd have thought