Best Guard Dog

If I was to have a rotty it'd have to be a German import or put of German breeding I just think they have more of a 'don't f*ck with me' look about them rather than the stuff we tend to breed over here which nowadays seem to be short in the leg and very big boned to the point they look overweight

IMG_2900.PNG

The best Rotts are from South African lines.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a deterrent,.the average GSD is the boss,...folk are scared of them,...its kinda engrained in our psych to be spooked by a wolf like critter......   All this silly,.. Billy Big Bollocks talk abo

Just a shout for the bouvier as an excellent natural guard and bomb proof with the family. Had this bitch from 9 weeks old and she has never put a foot wrong, bit of handful in the her youth but once

Few pics

Posted Images

If I was to have a rotty it'd have to be a German import or put of German breeding I just think they have more of a 'don't f*ck with me' look about them rather than the stuff we tend to breed over here which nowadays seem to be short in the leg and very big boned to the point they look overweight IMG_2900.PNG

The best Rotts are from South African lines.

Correct but there much harder to get hold of than the germans

Nice but I'm not as intimidating as a rott gsd or mastiff type imo

Perhaps not but a lot of male bouviers in particular tower over a rotty in real life difficult to judge from photos atb

Do they get used by police over there?

Are they still stock dogs or just guard/protection/service dogs these days?

I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh.

From what I can gather they are still fairly popular on farms over in France and Belgium in that region and some police forces and prison services still use them. They have also been used a fair bit in Scandinavian country's in service and they have some of the best working blood nowadays bit I am by no means an expert on the breed just did some research when I got mine a while back atb

• Like 1

I dont know about the guarding instinct. Very impressive

From what I can gather they are still fairly popular on farms over in France and Belgium in that region and some police forces and prison services still use them. They have also been used a fair bit in Scandinavian country's in service and they have some of the best working blood nowadays bit I am by no means an expert on the breed just did some research when I got mine a while back atb

i dont know about the guarding instinct. Very impressive and powerful dogs to look at. Temperament wise the ones ive seen were spot on. ive worked in a few prisons as a electrician and in a few they have been resident in there as therapy dogs.

from what ive heard and read about bouvier de flandres is they are very protective immensely strong

and intelligent but not a dog for just leaving in the yard ,they need a job ,pretty much like most proper working dogs

especially if they come from sport lines as they are bred for drive.

unless you have the time for proper and continuous training

id go for something a little more laid back ,most large breeds will warn off strangers ,most won't need a high driven schutzshund type dog that may need constant correction and training .

from what ive heard and read about bouvier de flandres is they are very protective immensely strong

and intelligent but not a dog for just leaving in the yard ,they need a job ,pretty much like most proper working dogs

id go for something a little more laid back ,most large breeds will warn off strangers ,most won't need a high driven schutzshund type dog that may need constant correction and training .

Agree about not just leaving them alone in a yard but the bouvier is not in my experience with them a high energy dog or highly string like many of the gsd, malanois and Doberman types (haven't had any experience with rottys) once they are trained up (which can be testing as they most definitely like to be boss) and past this puppy stage they are generally known for being very steady and sensible. They naturally guard but that generally involves placing themselves in what they deem to be the best place to guard and then looking like a black shag pile rug for the remainder until required.

That said mine has always been well exercised daily especially in her youth but then any type of dogs such as those discussed will need a decent exercise routine jmo

Edited by matt1979

Nice but I'm not as intimidating as a rott gsd or mastiff type imo

Perhaps not but a lot of male bouviers in particular tower over a rotty in real life difficult to judge from photos atb

Lad I know who kept Bouviers had a big Rottweiler as well but he looked tiny next to his big male Bouvier :yes:

any closer to choosing shaddy.?just get a goose.

I'm torn between a well gsd off my mate on here and a curcasian shepherd dog iv Hurd good and bad things abit this breed my uncle use to have one in his road side cafe with him back in the day and he would have it on a chain round the back to protect his generator from the pikeys taking it whilst a girl ran the cafe over night, now he keeps one as a pet he never had any issues with them and his kids but then again iv Hurd there not very good with kids, whatever dog I have I will be assisted with in the training programme purely because although I would never leave the dog alone with my kids I'm not always at home and I couldn't live with myself if any of my dogs got hold of one of the kids

Agree about not just leaving them alone in a yard but the bouvier is not in my experience with them a high energy dog or highly string like many of the gsd, malanois and Doberman types (haven't had any experience with rottys) once they are trained up (which can be testing as they most definitely like to be boss) and past this puppy stage they are generally known for being very steady and sensible. They naturally guard but that generally involves placing themselves in what they deem to be the best place to guard and then looking like a black shag pile rug for the remainder until required.

That said mine has always been well exercised daily especially in her youth but then any type of dogs such as those discussed will need a decent exercise routine jmo

yes mate I was more meaning breeds in general that are bred for competing being highly strung and not the bouvier in particular ,

Should have hit return ,as that was meant for protection dogs generally .

Big responsibility keeping a dog that is willing to attack In this day and age.

yes mate I was more meaning breeds in general that are bred for competing being highly strung and not the bouvier in particular ,

Should have hit return ,as that was meant for protection dogs generally .

Big responsibility keeping a dog that is willing to attack In this day and age.

Agreed

My old man has a first cross bedlington whippet anyone steps foot on the premises she wakes the whole street up and as proven she will bite and shake, anybody ever had any experience with beddy crosses making good guard dogs? I know there not the most intimidating dogs to look at and I'm not thinking of having one it's just a question