Hi Guys Please Help Sights Reflex Need Good Info

hi there

guys its me again Dave i was wondering about these i have spent a fortune over last 2 months on guns hw99s 177. and a hw97-kt 22. a hawke panarama 5x15x50 a panther shooting rest a hawke 400 rangefinder gun bags pellets and allsorts in the sp[ace of 2 months so at the mo i need to save more funds but for my 99s this is the QUESTION i wanted to ask WHAT do you guys think of the hawke reflex sight red dot at about £50 until i can get more money to get another scope are they any good by the way this will be for about 20 to 25 yards thats all im not keen on open sights so are they ok for what they are i have to pick some ammo up sommorow being friday so i could pick up a hawke reflex sight too let me know plenty of feedback much appreciated as usual i think a lot about you guys even if i don't know you because you don't tell me any crap you are possitive and 100% no bull im really GLAD i joined this site too it is more than fantastic really is also is it a good idea like si pittaway said wahs your ammo soapy water blow dry them and light coating wd40 to get rip of all the crap lead ok guys will look forward to comments and as allways i THANK you a lot really cool like 1 guy said on here welcome to the madhouse i was mad when i was born so it ain't a problem cheers guys

dave ( the nutjob ) :laugh::thumbs::yes:

• Like 1

just had a look... the reflex sights are about £150 think for the price your maybe on about this one!

p102900-hawke-red-dot-rd30-sight

i got a hawke red dot to put on a rifle for the kids, it cost about £40 and it wasn't good, it sat all pi55ed cos its designed for a large dovetail,

it went back the next day...

for £50 you could do a lot worse than a hawke vantage3x9 cheap and reliable and well worth the money I've used them on springers never had a problem and hold zero fine :thumbs:

atb si

• Like 3

I'm with Si on this one Dave - There's some perfectly capable little telescopic sights out there that'll do well for what you need mate :yes:

Those reflex sights are great if you want to spray BBs at your mates but, for air rifles, I've found them to be not so good.

Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on pellet washing mate. By all means, test it to see if it improves things for you but, over 25 - 30yrds you probably won't see much of a difference.

Atb.

Better to spend an extra £50 on a scope that'll be good out to 30 yards than spend £50 on a reflex that'll be shite. I've had my S410 for about 8 years now and I have never cleaned that, never mind the pellets :-)

• Like 1

Hi Dave.

You can pick up a hawk vantage 3-9×40 AO for less than £70 so that's the route I would take pal. Lovely clear glass and will do you from 10 yards to further than we are able to shoot a sub 12??

• Like 1

I can only agree with some of the comments above. If these things were any good, we would all be using them but the reality is that we all use scopes.

Look at your budget and find a Hawke scope on the bay and if you are not sure, ask on here as there will always be someone around to offer sound advice and save you time, money and frustration.

Phil

• Like 1

hi there

guys sorry about the full stops and commers in advance i never could get them right in a letter i just write it as i see it JUST take a deep breath and away you go i have never been able to use proper grammer as they say so soz dudes big apologies

dave

Hi Dave. And welcome here mate.

It's very easy to get suckered in to buying every bell and whistle of kit and kaboodle when you are just getting started again after long absences from this sport. :hmm: Firearms dealers are not there to save you money, they want you spending in their shops! :boogy::yes:

Reflex sights are not going to help you score much with a sub 12 ft/lb air rifle. You won't hit diddly to be honest because an air rifle, especially a spring rifle, has to be carefully aimed and with a precise trigger let-off to release the shot. Not throwing the rifle up into your shoulder and snap-shooting all inside a split second. That's movie bollocks.

You've got a couple of nice Weihrauchs with the 97KT and 99S so now, you need a nice scope or two to set them up right with.. I have a couple of Hawke Panorama scopes for two of mine. Put's the pellet where it needs to be and neither were all that dear. About £130 each.

My Air Arms Pro Sport has near-£500 Nikon Fieldmaster 6-18x40 Side Focus. That scope puts the pellet right into the brain box of a rabbit at serious distances! But a rifle costing £555 of this standard of precision deserves the glassware to match. (And because I'm worth it! :icon_redface: 0

How much you are prepared to spend goes a long way in this sport. But you don't have to go spending mega-money to have a great and effective shooting rig. Good quality rifle, decent scope, the right pellet. Everything will fall into place once you have your basic shooting kit right.

DON'T, whatever you do, go wasting good money on shooting rests or bipods for ANY spring rifles.

They don't work to dampen the bounce of the spring's recoil. In fact, they only serve to make it worse and you'll miss your target by a good measure. No matter how much you spend on scopes! Only your leading forehand with the rifle's forestock resting comfortably on it, does that job.

Precision accuracy in your shooting results only from having a proper, top quality rifle and scope, the essentially-correct pellet and a ton of practice on a range, shooting to all distances and getting to know exactly how your pellet's trajectory maps out, from the muzzle end to the dead-on bullseye!

For your HW97KT and 99S try using H&N FIELD TARGET TROPHY pellets. Not many Weihrauch rifles that don't get on with these. My HW97 .177 loves these in 4.50mm headsize. My HW80 and HW77 are both .22 and LOVE 5.53mm headsize H&N FTTs.

Headsize of pellet you want to try makes a fundamental difference in accuracy from your barrel over another headsize pellet that is otherwise, an identical calibre and brand.

You'll find the headsize of pellets on the back or underside of the tin, where you will see a label with a barcode and at the top, is the name of the brand/pellet and the headsize. It will state this as something like (in .22 calibre) 5.52 or 5.51 or 5.53 and so on.

In .177 calibre, the same info on the back of the tin will be found but this will read; 4.50, 4.51 or 4.52 and so on.

Both these little bits of data might not seem much but they are far more important than some might think. These are the microscopic differences from one pellet to another and you gun's barrel will act accordingly with them, either very favourably downrange at the target; or a complete waste of time. Not to mention cash!

And they give you a good idea of Pellet Weight; another factor to consider for pellet accuracy.

It's crucially important to building your shooting accuracy that you know and appreciate this info about your pellet choices headsize, first thing now :yes:

All the best and welcome here Dave..

Simon

• Like 1

A lot of very useful information for you there Dave :thumbs: .

Do listen to which pellet to use with which gun, - should prove a favourable short cut for you.

Whatever sport you " start out in" a good old saying to remember is " KISS"

" KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"

Just buy a decent scope, you have good rifles already, and put in the practice on the range.

Then , when you think you are ready to put a cross hair on to vermin, make sure you can keep that range to under 35 yds and hit a 5p coin 5 times out of 5.

Like me :angel::icon_redface: .

P.S. Resting a spring rifle on shooting sticks, fence posts, trees, etc, can help immensely - ( with correct hold), each to their own, as they say.

Good luck Dave ( and welcome by the way)

atb Mark.

A lot of very useful information for you there Dave :thumbs: .

Do listen to which pellet to use with which gun, - should prove a favourable short cut for you.

Whatever sport you " start out in" a good old saying to remember is " KISS"

" KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"

Just buy a decent scope, you have good rifles already, and put in the practice on the range.

Then , when you think you are ready to put a cross hair on to vermin, make sure you can keep that range to under 35 yds and hit a 5p coin 5 times out of 5.

Like me :angel::icon_redface: .

P.S. Resting a spring rifle on shooting sticks, fence posts, trees, etc, can help immensely - ( with correct hold), each to their own, as they say.

Good luck Dave ( and welcome by the way)

atb Mark.

Shooting sticks!!!!

Why you.......dirty rotten cheat!!!

?