Right Or Wrong Comments Please

I've never seen or used thermal but is it any worse than up until lately the same lads giving out about it have for the last half century laced the countryside with poison and wiped out every carnivore, omnivore and bird of prey in their county. Lads ask how come bird of prey and pine Martin numbers have rocketed in the last 20 years? Well it's for no other reason than since setting poison has been made illegal most are afraid of a jail sentence if they,re caught setting it. Night vision has replaced strychnine.

IMO the reason the Pine Marten and the Buzzard are now at troublesome levels is because of artificial releases.

All that anti propaganda about certain species being driven to the brink by blood thirsty gamekeepers stems from the days of intensive shooting estates.

Name 10 large shooting estates in Ireland ? Could you name 5 ? The truth is there's very few gamkeepers in Ireland.

The truth is that the Irish landscape has never ,until recently, been suitable for a lot of these species. But now with help from forestry subsidies you have the wildlife departments releasing artificial numbers into a countryside that can't feed these numbers.

Blaming the sporting fraternity for the rarity of these species is the perfect excuse for those who want a Walt Disney type Irish countryside and it's a pity people are silly enough to believe it.

• Like 3

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with the antis is that they allow blinkered emotions take over from rational common sense! They never considered what happens when foxhunting is banned. Everyone accepts that foxes are pes

I don't get what people get from doing this type of shooting. There's no field craft needed what so ever. It really sickens me to think lads can call this sport just wiping out populations of Fox.

IMO it's a step to far. It's one thing controlling foxes by taking out the potential trouble makers but these gadgets could potentially make the fox a rare species. Sadly the days where field craft w

I've never seen or used thermal but is it any worse than up until lately the same lads giving out about it have for the last half century laced the countryside with poison and wiped out every carnivore, omnivore and bird of prey in their county. Lads ask how come bird of prey and pine Martin numbers have rocketed in the last 20 years? Well it's for no other reason than since setting poison has been made illegal most are afraid of a jail sentence if they,re caught setting it. Night vision has replaced strychnine.

IMO the reason the Pine Marten and the Buzzard are now at troublesome levels is because of artificial releases.

All that anti propaganda about certain species being driven to the brink by blood thirsty gamekeepers stems from the days of intensive shooting estates.

Name 10 large shooting estates in Ireland ? Could you name 5 ? The truth is there's very few gamkeepers in Ireland.

The truth is that the Irish landscape has never ,until recently, been suitable for a lot of these species. But now with help from forestry subsidies you have the wildlife departments releasing artificial numbers into a countryside that can't feed these numbers.

Blaming the sporting fraternity for the rarity of these species is the perfect excuse for those who want a Walt Disney type Irish countryside and it's a pity people are silly enough to believe it.

The brown crow is a major pain in the a**e Neil on a small pheasant shoot of which I am a member!
  • Like 2

I wouldn't put all the blame on shooters.In that case would you be in favour of reintroducing strychnine? I know a lot of the sporting fraternity who lost dogs because of it out rough shooting or bushing from bitter cnuts who didn't want them on certain land.

Some lads down this way in a certain gun club got a lot of hunting stopped. Digging aswell. They hate lads hunting gun club land. But I've permission in a lot of these places. And they hate it. Often pulled up on a Sunday morning to find two sometimes three dead foxes on a gate. From these sporting rifle men

The brown crow is a major pain in the a**e Neil on a small pheasant shoot of which I am a member!

Around here in a morning shooting we used to see maybe 5 or 6 or more Buzzards but now it's more likely I'll see 1 or 2.

I reckon they've moved on because of the lack of Rabbits. There were 1000s of them around here but thanks to the RHD (stick it up your ass FD :tongue2: ) we now have 2 or 3 rabbits here and there. And the Buzzard has become scarce.

As a result we had a great shooting season and our pheasants stayed on the land whereas the few years before the Buzzards just kept harassing them non stop and the Pheasants just kept running.

A few years ago if I was hunting in Cork the Buzzard was obvious by it's absence. The Cork boys never seen them.

When I was in Cork beagling a few weeks back I seen 3. They must be releasing them down there too.

Another downside to the RHD is that this year the Fox seems to be breeding well but with no Rabbits they're looking elsewhere.

As for the Pine Martens ? We have them in towns now.

Did the nasty keepers wipe them out of our towns years ago or is that where the ignorant's are releasing them now ?

• Like 1

I've just read on another forum that there's a very good chance that in the next while lamping might be outlawed here in Ireland between the months of September and March.

I have very mixed opinions on this .

between September and March or March n September.