• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have had them,dug them for years and up until a few year ago was diging to a very good pattxbull.I can understand where Dilly is coming from as i have also seen a lot of bull russells bred that were

if you had a good russell to start with you wouldn t need to put bull into it

Bull Russell can do the job same as any other terrier, I've seen some good bull Russell types

Posted Images

We'll have to agree to disagree FD, i wouldn't touch anything with bull in it with a barge pole

Not used it myself mate ,straight bull that is but have used dogs with 1/8 and 1/4 to good effect and feel this is what keeps the size ,something I've seen dwindle elsewhere .I'm fully aware its not purist but results are what its about for me .Many lines of black dogs owe a good deal to early infusion of the right bull imo which many lads are unaware of .Just out of interest D why you so against it .

There's still bull Russell types being bred and worked. It's not as simple to just get a Russell nd a bull then bred together , you must get the right terrier with history behind it ,same with the bull, saying that I've seen a lot of ebt Russell doing the job in style

• Like 2

Over the years i've known and seen some very good ones and seen some shite also. Its either a very clever bloke or a good gambler that produces decent crosses. The problem will always be those that try to breed em because of the way they look. Form should always follow function.

We'll have to agree to disagree FD, i wouldn't touch anything with bull in it with a barge pole

Not used it myself mate ,straight bull that is but have used dogs with 1/8 and 1/4 to good effect and feel this is what keeps the size ,something I've seen dwindle elsewhere .I'm fully aware its not purist but results are what its about for me .Many lines of black dogs owe a good deal to early infusion of the right bull imo which many lads are unaware of .Just out of interest D why you so against it .

There was plenty about when i started out, the only thing they had in common was they were all gassy shite hounds. To big in the chest, out in the shoulder and often mute or bad in kennels.

I can only go off what I've personally seen, what I've seen wouldn't get kennel space here.

• Like 2

There was plenty about when i started out, the only thing they had in common was they were all gassy shite hounds. To big in the chest, out in the shoulder and often mute or bad in kennels.

I can only go off what I've personally seen, what I've seen wouldn't get kennel space here.

Just like black really..all depends were there got from.

Just like black really..all depends were there got from.
  • Like 1

Fair enough mate ,seen the same too from lads who idolised the things .Best dog I ever saw go was 1/4 staff , one of the biggest jaws ive seen on a decent head that tapered to a muscled frame at the back .How it should be .

I have had them,dug them for years and up until a few year ago was diging to a very good pattxbull.I can understand where Dilly is coming from as i have also seen a lot of bull russells bred that were not worth feeding and were either too big or too strong in the body for serious ground work.On the other side i have seen and owned some very good diging bullxrussell of various %,the dog in my avatar was 1/4 bull and he had some serious diging over him before he finially died at the ripe old age of 17.A lot of lads bred that particilar x just for the sake of it without dooing any homework on either the bull or the russell in the mix.I know and seen staff's that had never seen the country put over russells just because they were staff's.1st terrier i ever owned was a little bullxrussell that i purchased in Mullingar of a chap i knew,that was 43 years ago and i had to hitch a lift from 20 mile away,collect pup and then hitch a lift back home with the pup in a little box i had made to do the trip,very hard to get a lift back then as nobody would stop and very few with cars anyway from around my area.There was also some of the same crosses local to me owned by the older lads and it was kept tight for the simple reason transport was limited in those days so if you wanted a mating you went down the road to a neighbour or friend.I think the difference in the bullxrussell in Ireland back then compared to uk was that our staffs seen a lot more work in the field than there english counterparts so we could choose from a various bulls to do a mating knowing that they had all seen work.A certain terrier club from NI used to come down to me regular in the early 90s and they kept EBTx russell and they were very capable dogs and yet they had some 1st class working staff's but would not use them over a russell,also had 1st class wheatens yet they went for the ebtx.I only keep black dogs nowadays but id imagine there is still plenty of good bullxrussell out there doing the buisness.

• Like 8

I've got one he's very quiet in kennels and never starts a fight he's so chilled out until he smells something then he livens up he bays on until break though or he get a good nip then turns up the heat only thing is he in a ignorant little man but I can put up with that as he gives everything 100%

• BIG TRG changed the title to I