Rabbiting Dogs, Opinions.

The majority of bed day type coats are rubbish poor against rough weather pick up lots a trash open coats get soaked through some even remind me of a soaked wet rat.story mooching on day dog was mulling around some trash rough section of blackberry gorse , turned out he was marking a dead dog a bed day xes caught up in it poor miserable death must oftaken days even a few weeks the thorn briars were twisted caught like a rat on lime . Thick double coated animals often retain the best of coats easily maintained waterproof lots insulation etc or a good harsh broken coat much seen on deerhound types ,the beds coats one sees that are decent are few and far between ,usually more than a straight f1 three quarter types or mixes of other breeds..and some of the rillington type bed days produce decent jackets..atb bunnys.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever you choose have a bit of greyhound whippet on with it here's my we beddy whippet greyhound good we rabbit dog

Lurcher x lurcher bit of deerhound and bit of collie  

Rabbiting is often different throughout the UK...some types are more suited to localised terrain than others,...it pays to consider this...

Posted Images

Lol you would the owners would of noticed there beddy type missing ffs

what yas saying man get a grip , it was around ten minutes from Stanley's door and the kennels where the poor animal was in all probability bred, renowned fa hunting aways them types a dog a dog ta most where's I am from not a child ,no search parties for a wondering mutt.it what it his and for that poor animal its demise came about , reason it's jacket became its trap.atb bunnys

Some of my Beddy lurchers were bred from Rillington line Bedlington/Borders,.hence their much improved coat,...far crisper and harsher, with a good weatherproof jacket...

Good old dogs, good old days... :thumbs:

Rillington Bedlingtons the same as most lines where not renowned for their jacket,the vast majority of Beddy crosses,in lurchers,have the most resilient of coats,hybrid vigour rescues the majority of Beddy jackets and dispositions.Back to the original post,rabbits don,t take a lot of catching,even by the piss poorest of lurchers,what sets the finest of rabbiting jukels above the rest is the work ethic of the lineage,any mutt can muller a bunny,the ones that can hunt the bunny and flush it from its haunts,the one that is capable of marking a bunny at refuge in warren wall or tree etc.,the one that as the nous to work out the ways of the bunny sets it above the average bunny basher.Many a different bred lineage makes for a very good bunny dog,id not own anything without Collie in the mix.

Lol you would the owners would of noticed there beddy type missing ffs

what yas saying man get a grip , it was around ten minutes from Stanley's door and the kennels where the poor animal was in all probability bred, renowned fa hunting aways them types a dog a dog ta most where's I am from not a child ,no search parties for a wondering mutt.it what it his and for that poor animal its demise came about , reason it's jacket became its trap.atb bunnys
OK I get it now took a couple times to read it all the same haha

What ever you get get somethin off decent rabbiting dogs can't go wrong then

thats how to get a good rabbit dog, preferably from stock run on similar ground, you want to run. Edited by Sirius

The biggest thing holding most rabbiting lurchers back is there owners

Or lack of bunny,s.

Travel then ?? Like i said, its ownets who let em down haha

When i was a kid i hunted what the area held and bunny,s where hard come by,i hunted for many a year before i had the luxury of a wage and the independance that the coins in my pocket afforded me,not long after the use of a vehicle broadened my horizons and few places in the British Isles escaped my quest for the Grail.The folk about with brass in their pockets, that do not travel,ive little time for.The folk about that are making their first steps into the lurcher world,young,keen and skint,have some marvellous experiences awaiting them.

• Like 3

Had a beddy/whippet X collie/grey about 23" in the 80's that took a lot of rabbits, plus a few other stuff, since then I've had a beddy/whippet grey that wasn't to bad and currently have a 3/4 whippet, 1/8 grey, 1/8 collies that does alright.

Given the choice of all three in my kennel today it would be the 1st.

• Like 2

Saw a fair few beddy lurchers with poor coats. one out of newcombes viper beddy/border cross whippet grey excellent jacket good rabbit dog in the 90s.

Yeah,..seen quite a few,...I think George Newcombe's out cross experiments, where he deliberately put Border's and Lakeland's over his Bedlington Terriers, definitely improved the contemporary, Bedlington terrier coat..

Mind you, for a roustabout bush busting, terrier based rabbiter, I would prefer the harsh, crisp red pelt of the Irish Terrier/Running dog hybrids.

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 2