Gifting Or Selling Pups?

Reading through one of the other threads it had me thinking about how many of you lads gift pups out. And how many of you sell them?

All the terriers in my Kennels have been given to me. Either by lads I dig with or lads that have been good enough to trust me with carrying on there line.

Someone already said it but for me it comes down to respect. I have nothing but respect for the lads that trusted me with there family of dogs. So I would never sell or pass on any of those dogs.

If they turn out to be worth breeding from my first port of call will be the lads they came from to seek a suitable stud. Then any pups will be given out amongst lads I dig with and obviously back to the original breeder. Now by doing this and staying in touch you always have access and knowledge about how the line is doing. How siblings are fairing in there work and the peace of mind that you will always have a direction to go in the future.

Its an unwritten pact. If work is all that matters then why does money ever need to change hands?

• Like 17

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reading through one of the other threads it had me thinking about how many of you lads gift pups out. And how many of you sell them? All the terriers in my Kennels have been given to me. Either by la

IMO a topic like this is wasted. For the likeminded lads this stuff is second nature and doesn't need explaining and for the others? Well they're never in it for the long run and think they can buy su

I was gifted a pup off a lad on here. At thirteen months old I new he wasn't going to suit me. I'd rared him from 6/8weeks.didnt cost me a thought dropped him back. He's after been dug twice since. Th

Reading through one of the other threads it had me thinking about how many of you lads gift pups out. And how many of you sell them?

All the terriers in my Kennels have been given to me. Either by lads I dig with or lads that have been good enough to trust me with carrying on there line.

Someone already said it but for me it comes down to respect. I have nothing but respect for the lads that trusted me with there family of dogs. So I would never sell or pass on any of those dogs.

If they turn out to be worth breeding from my first port of call will be the lads they came from to seek a suitable stud. Then any pups will be given out amongst lads I dig with and obviously back to the original breeder. Now by doing this and staying in touch you always have access and knowledge about how the line is doing. How siblings are fairing in there work and the peace of mind that you will always have a direction to go in the future.

Its an unwritten pact. If work is all that matters then why does money ever need to change hands?

Spot on post.

IMO money ruins working dogs.

• Like 4

Gift every time. Although iv never bred a litter Id have to breed two big litters to gift back what I owe to the men that's helped me. I'm very thankful for the terriers iv been gifted and hopefully one day il be in a position to gift something back. Trust is what it all boils down to. Without that your fecked

• Like 7

Spot on post.

IMO money ruins working dogs.

Well said mate.

• Like 1

Perhaps money is the way to go .Seems to me lads have lost the respect found years ago and that a bought pup might not be passed on behind the breeders back .I've always fought the case for gifted stock but f**k it ,there's coin to be made and 2 g a pup sounds a fair price .

• Like 2

I've been gifted a pup for the first time last year. The lads didn't know me and let me see the dogs work and take pick of the litter. There's some gentlemen out there and I'm shocked how some people could turn against them for a few quid.

• Like 2