Trapping Rabbits

bun156.jpg

The bottom ferret was caught in a M6 Fenn some years ago, my wife and me got her out and then back home ,two days later i collared her up and put her back to work i kept her a few years and she was good at her job.

• Like 2

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That says more about the trapper than the trap though .Too much clearance .Mk 6 fenns were never meant to be rabbit traps just taken on because they passed legal requirements for the job .Caught many

The bottom ferret was caught in a M6 Fenn some years ago, my wife and me got her out and then back home ,two days later i collared her up and put her back to work i kept her a few years and s

Why do you think fenns are crap ?

That says more about the trapper than the trap though .Too much clearance .Mk 6 fenns were never meant to be rabbit traps just taken on because they passed legal requirements for the job .Caught many hundreds of catches in fenns but in tunnels where they were designed to be used not in bury entrances that are too big .

• Like 3

It's not so much foul catches either I think mk4 Fenns are underpowered and shite I've watched a few squrriels be perfectly caught that would have had a prolonged death I can only say what I've seen I'm no trapper just use them when I need to as I've said I've had mink pull out of Fenns and ferret get caught in mk6s go on to have long rabbiting careers no matter how well the tunnel is made or how well the trap strikes the fenn isnt doing the job humanely just ask anyone who uses and checks them regularly.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1

:hmm: Taken a whole lot of critters in Fenns,..Mk 4's and Mk 6's ....

Real easy trap to site and to set,...great catchers...quick to use...

However,...bearing in mind, the fact, that all traps are subject to human error,..(or sometimes, just plain, bad luck) and can produce foul catches, resulting in an inhumane, slow death,.the Fenn trap has other failings....When I was trapping full time,...every day,....I would make sure that I checked all the killing traps once a day,..and live cages, sited in areas where there were high populations of Grey Squirrel and Rabbits,...twice a day....

Generally this insured, that all captures were dealt with in an efficient manner,...and the traps were quickly re-set,..ready to take their next victim.... :yes:

One morning,..as I left the woods where my trap line was in situ,...I noticed a guy with a lurcher dog walking along the boundary fence...

Not saying he looked suspicious or anything,...(and anyway, nowt to do with me, I was employed to kill vermin,..not be a Keeper),...but I did stop for a moment, to observe what he was up to....It was plain to see that his dog,..a large beast of obvious Deerhound linage, was being held tight on a slip and both parties were heading towards a clearing, on the edge of the wood..

This piece of open ground was home to a large herd of Fallow,....

They were soon on the run....

I heard a beast cry out and it was obvious that the dog had grassed one.

As I say,.none of my fecking business,(it would also be incredibly hypocritical of me,..to object to such a thing),.so, I drove off and made for the next job...

I don't know WHY, I turned the old van around and headed back towards my traps ,..but,.. I did.... :blink:

Possibly I was concerned that someone else might be wandering around the Private woods?

Maybe they would interfere with, or worst still, chor all my precious equipment ?

Whatever the reason,...this turning back to check my traps,.illustrated to me in no uncertain terms,.the sheer horror of under powered, Approved Humane killing traps.

What I saw, and what I felt,. deeply affected my views on trapping and was destined to start me, on a long journey of discovery. :yes:

Edited by Phil Lloyd

I know this is slightly off topic and a tale that would land you in deep do do nowadays .I once caught a badger in a mk4 by the foot that had ,I guess turned over a wooden tunnel .Acted like a foothold .Always a pleasure releasing them unharmed .

Caught a cat by the neck in a juby and a jay in a rabbit drop box .

• Like 1