Getting Them Fit.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not the 70 and year olds I'd worry about, they've all day to spend on their yard or walking and talking to the dogs.. A lot of those boys are hardy men that take huge pride in their stock. They

A few chilling by the boiler, three more in front of the fire

All this talk of fitness or lack of it seemed alien to me .Surely the fact that a man has a dog of any sort means the desire to get out with it is strong .Fitness comes with work so work it .Whether i

Posted Images

Ok, on the same subject then, fitness...

How many would consider taking a working terrier to a bone man after a hard seasons graft.

Twisting and turning, squeezing tight spaces, forcing themselves further and pushing bodies to their limit for hours on end. Only have to look back on the last few digs to see how much their bodies take. Could/would it make a difference to make sure discs, shoulders, wrists etc are put back into place after months of graft to help next season.

Personally, i think it would be invaluable and, just for the record, i'm of the opinion that a terriers excercise should be in alignment with the ammount of graft it see's. (If your a Sunday only digger, then get em out for a stretch during the week etc...)

So, Bone Men for working terriers.. Your thoughts please?

How many would consider taking a working terrier to a bone man after a hard seasons graft.

Twisting and turning, squeezing tight spaces, forcing themselves further and pushing bodies to their limit for hours on end. Only have to look back on the last few digs to see how much their bodies take. Could/would it make a difference to make sure discs, shoulders, wrists etc are put back into place after months of graft to help next season.

Personally, i think it would be invaluable and, just for the record, i'm of the opinion that a terriers excercise should be in alignment with the ammount of graft it see's. (If your a Sunday only digger, then get em out for a stretch during the week etc...)

100% with you on that .......

• Like 1

;) Be interesting to see if anyone's done it or even thought of tryin it...

;) Be interesting to see if anyone's done it or even thought of tryin it...

I did it with my terriers for years ... used to take them to mr Campbell who was the resident vet at Swansea greyhound track and kept and raced dogs himself ... he wasn't strictly a bone man but was very good at manipulating the dogs and putting things right ......

• Like 1

I know a lad who took all his dogs at the season end. The man reckons the terriers back was all misaligned, few cracks and off he went. How would you know they've done anything if theirs no initial symptoms of an issue?

Yes if knew a good person for it .the none with terriers . myself , I like to keep my terriers fit as possible , road work , and some little runs about or hunt would give them what is natural and good little stretch after a dig on way home at times . I know some (who like sound of the own voice ) just take it out when winter comes and that ain't for exercise.kennel to car , etc

• Like 1

I know a lad who took all his dogs at the season end. The man reckons the terriers back was all misaligned, few cracks and off he went. How would you know they've done anything if theirs no initial symptoms of an issue?

Always gonna be more difficult to spot problems in a terrier but IMO its an area where you need to look at the greyhound and lurcher men. They know their worth, so with working terriers you'd have to base it on that...

Good shout Bosun just like an end of season m.o.t.

• Like 4

A few chilling by the boiler, three more in front of the fire16473429_10212026021509666_4042009402134166863_n.jpg

Great pic dd . As biddable as all mine are there s no chance of mine doing that without me there. As soon as the mrs was on her own it would be carnage. Do you never have problems with a young dog feeling his feet

There's one who's not in that picture that isn't in that gang, he's treated like a leper, he's ok while I'm around but he's one of those strange b*****ds that won't mix.

• Like 4

A few chilling by the boiler, three more in front of the fire16473429_10212026021509666_4042009402134166863_n.jpg

Great pic dd . As biddable as all mine are there s no chance of mine doing that without me there. As soon as the mrs was on her own it would be carnage. Do you never have problems with a young dog feeling his feet
There's one who's not in that picture that isn't in that gang, he's treated like a leper, he's ok while I'm around but he's one of those strange b*****ds that won't mix.
fair play it's nice to see. I ve just had a bitch back that s been in hunt service for a while now. When I fetched her my mate said watch her she won t tolerate other dogs which surprised me . She did when I put her out. I dropped her with my old dog and she went all Rambo on him . A quick reprimand and she was right as rain . The majority get on well but the old dog s a miserable git and won t tolerate his son s much
  • Like 2

He's like you then ha ha ha
  • Like 1

Used to get it done regular through the season greyhound bloke used to charge me a tenner . And I used to always keep them fit . Also used to rest up in the mag box . Not sure if it made any difference but give me peace of mind .
  • Like 2